My first post...Questions from Readers 4-08-03

by IWasDuped 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Welcome to our world!!

I was struck by that reasoning too. So, what about birthdays, Christmas, Valentines Day, Mother's Day, etc.? What's the difference?

• DJ
    DJ

That same reasoning was used by the WT with regard to toasting drinks. It used to be tied to pagan beliefs but now we just do it to be social........I was shocked when I realized that I could all of a sudden click drinks at a wedding! It is the same ol' same ol'. All matters should be left to the person's conscience. I remember when I was little and my parents told us that we could no longer celebrate holidays.......my sister yelped, "but mom, we aren't pagans. We don't think those pagan teachings when we have holidays......." Out of the mouths of babes....

The WT seares the conscience of it's members with their paranoia.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I could all of a sudden click drinks at a wedding!

Whoa! I missed that "new light". When did they drop that one from the Talmud?

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Yeah, i'd like to see where they said toasting was cool.

• undercover
    undercover
    I was struck by that reasoning too. So, what about birthdays, Christmas, Valentines Day, Mother's Day, etc.? What's the difference?

Same here. If you take the footnote from that article and substitute the word/phrase luous(however you spell it) with birthdays, valentines day, etc. it would be the same exact logic as to why we could celebrate these things. But illogically one ancient pagan custom is ok while others aren't. That and we aren't allowed to use Christian conscience to decide for ourselves.

That same reasoning was used by the WT with regard to toasting drinks. It used to be tied to pagan beliefs but now we just do it to be social

I missed that one. I'd like to see the reference on it. I never toasted with other witnesses present but when in business/social settings I went along with it. It seemed stupid to make an issue out of such a harmless custom.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Welcome! Ivebeenduped: Good choice of words mine would be I've been screwed.LOL Yes, the say it's up to you own concious but then if you decided it's allright your shunned by those that judge you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit