Geographical inaccuracies you cant shake

by GabeAthouse 23 Replies latest jw friends

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

Do you have any? Where your mental image of a place does not match up with where you intellectually know it actually is?

1. Great Britain: I always picture it to the west of France. If i'm reading about the Norman invasion or D-Day i always see it in my head as crossing the channel east-west / west-east. But it's North-South.

2. Detroit: It's longitude is actually slightly east of Atlanta but my mental image has it in the midwest above Chicago, approximately where Milwaukee is in actuality.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Where do you see France?

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Britain in relation to Europe isn't even properly represented on TV weather forecasters' maps.

They show Britain as being vertical next to Europe when in reality it's at an angled position, giving the illusion that Cornwall is the most westerly part in Britain. There's a place in Scotland further out into the Atlantic than Cornwall, due to the tilted position. See the Ardnamurchan Peninsula. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRnLA_jStw

Been there 3 times - long drive, very narrow road!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina
    Looks nice!
  • riblah
    riblah

South America is mostly east of Florida. For some reason I had pictured it as being totally to the west.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse
    Where do you see France?

Where it actually is. But for my mental image to work, Britain would have to be to the west of it, instead of North of it.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Because of the size distortion of putting a spherical image on a flat surface, I find it hard to visualize the actual size of places like Greenland, Siberia, and northern Canada

• Simon
    Simon

People think of Canada as far north, but Toronto is level with Italy in latitude terms.

I only noticed that there's a huge gulf off California / Mexico the other day. That can't be new, right? How did I never see it before!

The Mercator projection masks the enormous size of Africa and makes the USA / Europe look far larger by comparison.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Geographical inaccuracies you cant shake

Not particularly. I use a SatNav. If it's too far, I won't go.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Try this website , ( not sure if link is working correctly) lets you drag your chosen country to fit on top of another.

www.thetruesize.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit