COWTOWN AIN'T (In which I tell you all about my home town, Fort Worth, Texas)

by TerryWalstrom 6 Replies latest jw friends

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    COWTOWN AIN’T
    In which I tell you about my hometown, Ft. Worth, Texas

Question: “What do you call Mexican food down in Guadalajara?”
    Answer: “Food.”

Once upon a time, there were indigenous people living in the Southern part of a continent not yet called America in what wasn’t yet a State not called Texas.

“Not-Yet-Texas” had about a hundred tribes of indigenous families.
    These various tribes referred to themselves as ‘people’ or ‘human beings.’

Many of these tribes of “human beings” didn’t get along too well with the other “people” and I know you know what I mean, so don’t be acting confused.
    Much later, invaders from other lands would arrive mistakenly convinced they’d arrived in India.
    Naturally, they called the indigenous inhabitants “Indians.”
    Our indigenous tribes shrugged at their ignorance. Yellow Bear - Comanche (1842 - 1887) - father-in-law and friend of Quanah Parker. The two traveled together to Fort Worth on cattle business. Yellow Bear retired early to their hotel room where, unaccustomed to modern conveniences, blew out the flame of the gas light in his room. Later, when Quanah returned to the room, he noticed the smell but did nothing about it.  Both were unconscious the next morning.  Quanah revived; unfortunately Yellow Bear did not.

There was competition for survival among these tribes following migrating herds of “buffalo” which weren’t really buffalo but were actually bison!

This is admittedly a lot of ain't!
    Ain’t Texas
    Ain’t Indians
    Ain’t buffalo.

The ‘ain’t Indians regarded the invaders as ‘white men.’ These interlopers weren’t all “white” nor were they all men. They were Spanish, Italian, French, and English predominantly.
    They were stubborn.
    After all, by now, they might have figured out they were NOT IN INDIA!!
    ____

Apaches dominated West Texas and their natural enemies were Comanches. It seemed prudent to these Apache warriors and braves to side with Federal troops in wiping out Comanches and somehow convincing themselves their new allies wouldn’t turn against them in the end. I think we know how that turned out!

If you’ve watched any Western movies you’re way ahead of me on the plot right now.
    Let’s fast forward to a Fort called Worth and my hometown, shall we?

_________

To understand Fort Worth you need to be introduced to its namesake, William Worth, a General in the U.S. Army in the 1840’s.
    Worth joined the Army when the War of 1812 erupted. He was only 18 years-old.

What’s odd about this?

Worth was reared by deeply religious parents who were Quakers! One suspects an 18-year-old Quaker boy was extremely anxious to get away from a fanatical religious community even if it meant physical danger!

Quakers were rigorous Pacifists. However...Great Britain had long been interfering with trade on the high seas, kidnapping Americans and impressing them into forced servitude, as well as bribing the ain’t-Indians to attack settlers.

President Madison requested Congress declare war in 1812 and the young Quaker jumped at a chance to demonstrate what a tough apostate Quaker could do to put the kibosh on ‘bad guys.’

In his first battle against the Chippewa (ain’t-Indians), Worth was almost fatally wounded and ended up being award the rank of Major for his bravery (if not effectiveness.)
    In the next ten years, he fought against the Seminoles and rose in rank again to General after fighting in every major battle between the U.S. and Mexico.
    Unfortunately, he died of cholera in 1849. (Drinking bad water.)

Do you suppose William Worth is buried in the city named after him? You’d be wrong. He was buried in Brooklyn, New York. (Don’t ask!)

What is important is that General Worth was considered a great military tactician. He proposed that a series of 10 protective forts be constructed in the newly won Mexican territory (ain’t-Texas) and one of those forts was named in his honor.
    Why?
    A young Major who hero-worshipped Worth had been dispatched to find an ideal spot for one of these forts. His name was Ripley Arnold. Arnold established a post on the banks of the Trinity and named it Camp Worth in honor of the late General Worth.

In August 1849, Arnold moved the camp to a north-facing bluff that overlooked the mouth of the Clear Fork. The US War Department officially granted the name "Fort Worth" to the post on 14 November 1849.

The trouble with ain’t-Indians continued until the U.S. Army abandoned Fort Worth in 1853 at which point it becomes an ain’t-Fort.
    (Note: armies and settlers from Spain called the area belonging to them, “Tejas”.)
    Why?
    The indigenous people, Caddo, welcomed them as friends and “Tejas” means “allies.”
    In the course of time, before Texas became a sovereign nation in 1836, Texian or Texican referred to any resident, of any color or language
    ______
    What is now called Texas existed under 6 different flags in the course of its history.
    "Six countries have had sovereignty over some or all of the current territory of the U.S. state of Texas:
    1, Spain (1519–1685; 1690–1821),
    2. France (1685–1690),
    3. Mexico (1821–1836),
    4. Republic of Texas (1836–1845),
    5. Confederate States of America (1861–1865),
    6. The United States of America
    ______
    Here’s the part you need to understand…

The early settlers in the area around Fort Worth were rugged individualists. They flourished and built stores, schools, hospitals, department stores and all the trappings of what would become a city.
    I’ve lived in Fort Worth since 1947 and I recognize the names of these founding fathers on buildings, street signs, parks and businesses as their legacy as indomitable folk who stuck with their dreams when even the U.S. Army gave up and moved on.

I like that Ft. Worth is named after an Apostate! I’m one too, after all.
    ________
    “So, Terry, is that the whole story? You didn’t explain the Cowtown Ain’t title of this tale.”
    Yes, you’re right.
    Hang in and hang on and you’ll be repaid for your patience, gentle reader!

The city of Fort Worth is inside the greater County of Tarrant.
    By the time the Civil War broke out in 1860, Tarrant County had 850 slaves to account for and roughly 6,000 whites (who probably were white.) The County flourished with free labor at its core and soon voted to abandon its fealty to other States in America by seceding from the Union.
    Was this a prudent business decision, a good Christian decision, a patriotic decision, or just a case of CYA? (Cover yer ass.)
    History tells the tale.
    Judgment is rendered in the results of that decision by the founding fathers of Fort Worth and Tarrant County.

At the end of the Civil War, Fort Worth was down to a population of 175 persons. If that doesn’t teach you a lesson--you’re never going to learn one.

How did Fort Worth revive its economy?
    Glad you asked!
    The answer in one word is cattle.
    Fort Worth became COWTOWN.

Longhorns stolen and purchased from Mexico were driven up through the middle of Texas toward the well-watered triple branched TRINITY River complex and...Cowtown (Fort Worth.)

Here’s a fast fact for you.
    Texas is mostly prairie, grassland, hills and desert, forests, and only ONE natural lake: Caddo.
    Texas is FLAT and DRY except for its rivers.
    If you’re driving cattle, you’re compelled to follow the grass and the rivers. If you do that, you end up in Fort Worth: Cowtown.

Between 1866 and 1890, 4 million head of cattle passed through Cowtown (Fort Worth.)
    Once railroads became established in 1876, the idea of a treacherous land journey through hostile territories was abandoned.
    Cowboys spent their money and moved on.

When did COWTOWN become AIN’T COWTOWN?
    A wealthy Boston capitalist, Greenleaf Simpson, was seduced into investing in local stockyards by some fast talk and sweet promises of wealth to come. In 1893, Simpson offered $133 thousand dollars for the local stockyards and he, in turn, lured other Northern capitalists to join him in the meat packing business. By the year 1900, both Armour and Swift had opened regional processing plants in the area.

The flow of cattle, stock exchanges, slaughterhouses, meat processing industries made Fort Worth the “Wall Street of the West.”
    Feeders and Breeders convened regularly at the newly constructed Cowtown Coliseum and an annual Fat Stock Show and Rodeo commenced its tradition.
    1923 arrived as $30 million dollars flowed through the local economy.

By WWII, over 5 million cattle were processed and rendered until the boom turned after the war into a bust.

The rise of Interstate highways and the trucking industry replaced transportation of goods by the railroads and the cattle markets shrunk into smaller and smaller venues.
    By the 1980’s, the 5 million cattle which had once invigorated Fort Worth had shriveled into a pathetic 57 thousand annually.
    Luckily, a new industry had soon replaced the old one.
    This new industry didn’t have to be fed, watered or driven through prairies or slaughtered and packed for shipment.

The discovery of OIL brought a new source of revenue replacing the cattle industry.
    I know I don’t need to explain the oil industry to you.
    Wildcat drilling using venture capital either produced active wells or they completely failed.
    The trick was finding investors to give you money.

(Historical note: George Bush the younger had a real knack for accepting millions of dollars from his father’s friends and political acquaintances to “invest” in wildcat wells. None of the wells paid off and young Bush kept the leftover slush fund!)
    Having lived here for 70 years, I can tell you the identity of this city is pretty much a fantasy clinging to a faded past of romantic cowboys and ‘Indians’ and cattle drives, saloons, and a Hell’s Half Acre.
    We are actually a metropolitan area of less than a million people, 99% of whom have absolutely nothing to do with COWS!
    Fort Worth largely exists because of the largesse of billionaires such as Richard Rainwater and the four Bass brothers.

Forbes magazine published this on March 21, 2016:

“The four billionaire Bass brothers--Sid, Edward, Robert, and Lee--inherited a small fortune from their oil-tycoon uncle four decades ago and have built it up to a combined $8.2 billion.“

If you are a billionaire and you wish to be a large fish in a small pool, Fort Worth is an excellent way to gain notice and attract others who will fuel your fiefdom with talent and funds as well.
    For example, Richard Rainwater was a stockbroker hired by Sid Bass who started his own investment firm locally and with his guidance, the Bass brothers became private equity and hedge fund titans.
    As a matter of record, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, 20 billionaires have made their home, if--for no other reason--Texas is only 1 of 2 states in America which does NOT have a State income tax! Dallas and Fort Worth are about as far north and west as you can go and still have the best of two worlds: rural and homespun as well as modern and cosmopolitan.
    (Yes, I have met some--not all--of these philanthropists and Titans and found them to be down-to-earth and ‘just folks’ for the most part.)
    We have a remarkable Library system with amazing donors affiliated with free concerts and programs of the highest quality. The Van Cliburn Competition locally brings superb artistic genius into our city as a source of much pride and celebration.
    Bass Hall is a latter day Opera House with perfect acoustics and lavish architecture as a venue for musicals, concerts, ballet, and mixed events at the highest level of performance.
    And so on. I won’t bore you. Check it out for yourself.

Getting back to my title, COWTOWN AIN’T was written because I think we really need to let go of the shabby western mythos of the 1840’s and concentrate on our emergence in Fort Worth as a modern, contemporary paradise with the best a large ‘small town’ has to offer.
    The past has passed.
    Let go. Move forward.
    My great grandmother’s husband was Jim Rushing, a sheriff (or possibly sheriff’s deputy) here in Fort Worth who was shot in the back by a gambler long ago.
    She never quite got over it and told me tales of that time period with tears in her eyes. I learned to think of our fair city as something not lost in the past, but as a survivor of hard times and bad men and rotten situations brought on by happenstance, bad luck, and wrong-headed decisions.
    But we survived, shook off the old ways, and moved ahead to join the real world.
    The moral of the story and the point of this article is as follows:
    We Ain’t Cowtown--we’re a Now town!
  • stillin
    stillin

And now we know...the rest of the story!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It's always enjoyable to read your stories Terry and your references to Fort Worth. My first recollection of anything to do with Fort Worth was when I was a kid back in 1970 during the JW 1975 fever. My JW mother convinced my non-JW father to sell our nice home and move themselves and 4 kids into a single wide mobile home and park it across the street from the Kingdom Hall, in a trailer court inhabited by dozens of other JW's escaping reality.

We came to learn years later that many JW's in other places were getting in debt, figuring they'd never have to pay anything off before the end came. Instead of getting in debt, my parents did the opposite. Like a good JW, my Mother had been convinced that the economy was going to collapse and people would be throwing their money in the streets so she figured we should get out from under a mortgage so that when the "tribulation" came, we'd at least be able to hang on to our mobile home if my Dad lost his job.

The mobile home they bought was really nice and it was sort of unusual because it had an upstairs bedroom up front which was mine. I remember there was an insignia outside my bedroom window on the front that said "PAULSIL- MELODY HOME, Fort Worth Texas". As a kid, I was fascinated by the idea that our home was built in magical place called Fort Worth Texas and was hauled by truck all the way to Seattle Washington for us to live in. I always wanted to go to the factory and see how it was made but Fort Worth Texas was a world away.

I've been to Texas many times since them but never to Fort Worth but anytime I hear that name, I think of my younger self in my little upstairs bedroom in our "Melody Home", tossing and turning at night worrying about my little sisters and trying to figure out how I could possibly save them during the great tribulation and the persecution that was on its way. I think about my parents who had to struggle to get us back into a real house again after 1975 came and went. I think about how they are both gone now and how my non JW father died too young because he was convinced by the JW's he was studying with not to take a blood transfusion during his heart surgery. I think about how JW's today have virtually dismissed what we went through as a result of what we were led to believe in those days.

Now because of your Fort Worth related stories, I also think about all the unnecessary hardships you went through as a JW, yet you still have a sense of humor about it and about life's ironies in general. I also find it ironic that as faithful JW's we both lived through the 1975 debacle and have this little Fort Worth connection and have both wound up here on an Ex JW forum all these decades later via something called the Internet ,which wasn't even though of back then. Weren't we supposed to be perfect by now?? Where's that pet Lion they promised me??

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Terry,

Thanks for this interesting bit of history.

The closest I have ever got to Fort Worth, TX was in my dealings with a company called Solar Turbines. While never managing to wangle a visit to Solar's factory, I nonetheless did have frequent interactions with some of their company's representatives. (This during the years I managed a power station in Papua New Guinea; one that used a set of eight Solar Gas Turbine Engines).

However, on checking Google Maps, I see that the site of Solar Turbine's factory at Mabank, TX, is actually closer to Dallas than it is to Fort Worth? That was the reverse of what I had been led to understand, and reveals some flaws in my knowledge of North American geography!

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thanks, Terry, very interesting. I like Fort Worth, it has a small town feel, but it is well on the map. I've stayed at the Stockyards Hotel built in 1907 near the Stockyards. I felt like I was in a John Wayne movie and expected him knocking on the door anytime asking if I would come down to the bar and have a whiskey with him and talk about the cattle auction. There are several steakhouses near the Stockyards with photos of the prized bulls that made the ranches wealthy. Again, it was like walking into a time machine when I ate there. The atmosphere is unique.

I used to love to come to Fort Worth for the Regional Conventions (District Conventions). The convention was within walking distance of very nice Hotels. I'm sure they were not on the approved list of hotels.

My family settled in the Waco area. His name was Thomas Hudson Barron. When you visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, payroll ledgers show him on the first line of the payroll sheets. The Texas Rangers were surveyors that learned to fight the "savages".

Source: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbatq

BARRON, THOMAS HUDSON (1796–1874). Thomas Hudson Barron, early settler, and Texas Ranger, son of Susan (Mattingly) and John M. Barron, was born on March 8, 1796, in Virginia. The family lived in Hardin County, Kentucky, in the early 1800s. He enlisted in the Kentucky militia at Leitchfield, Kentucky, on November 15, 1814, and participated in the battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815. He received for his service a bounty grant of 160 acres. By 1817 he was one of the early settlers on the upper Red River in the area of Miller County, Arkansas. He married Elizabeth Curnell in Arkansas on February 20, 1820. In late 1821 Barron, his wife, and first child passed through Nacogdoches with several of the first of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists. Barron was a member of the Austin colony for a year before returning to Arkansas Territory. He was commissioned magistrate of Jefferson Township, Miller County, on March 8, 1826. He appears on the tax records for Hempstead County, Arkansas, in 1828, 1829, 1830, and in the Census for Hempstead County in 1830.

In January 1831 he returned to Texas, according to Austin's Register of Families. In 1832 he received from Austin a grant of one league of land in Brazos County, located east of Edge on the Old San Antonio Road. During this period Barron contracted to settle at Nashville in Sterling C. Robertson's colony. He was granted twenty-four laborers of land now in McLennan County on March 25, 1835, and one labor near the site of present Viesca on June 10, 1835. Throughout his career, Barron was active in defense of the frontier. From before until after the Texas Revolution he served as captain of Texas Rangersqv at Viesca, Nashville, Washington-on-the-Brazos, and Tenoxtitlán, where he was commandant. In January 1836 a ranging company was formed at Viesca with Sterling C. Robertson as captain and Barron as a sergeant. Soon thereafter, Barron was promoted to captain. As the struggle for Texas independence heightened, Barron, now in middle age, was allowed to return home to assist in moving families and slaves ahead of the advancing Mexican front in the Runaway Scrape. At the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, his company, in his absence, was commanded by Lt. Albert G. Gholson.

Early in 1837 Barron's company of rangers established Fort Fisher at Waco Village on the Brazos, at a site within the city limits of present Waco. The reconstructed post is now the site of the headquarters of Company F of the Texas Rangers and the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum. At Independence, also in 1837, Barron built a house later purchased by Sam Houston. In 1847 Barron homesteaded 320 acres on the Brazos and built the first white homestead on Waco grounds. His daughter Mozilla was the first white child born in the Waco settlement, on January 7, 1850, although another child was the first white born within the formal city limits. On April 14, 1851, Barron, as clerk, opened the first district court of McLennan County, with Judge Robert E. B. Baylor presiding. In 1857 or 1858 Barron opened a steam mill on Barron's Branch in Waco, using the bolting system to grind wheat and corn. Machinery for carding wool and cotton was added in 1860. Throughout much of the 1860s, Barron served as tax assessor-collector of McLennan County. A street, an elementary school, a creek, and Barron Springs in Waco were named for him.

Barron and his first wife had twelve children, and he and his second wife had ten children. Three of his sons served in the Confederacy during the Civil War. Late in his life, he moved to Falls County, near Blevins. He died on February 2, 1874, at the home of his daughter Mozilla Mixson in Mastersville (now Bruceville-Eddy). His remains were moved in December 1976 to First Street Cemetery, Waco, beside the entrance to old Fort Fisher and the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Jake. Wow! So through your great great grandfather you qualify to be a member of The First Families of Texas! I have never known of anyone of that Lineage. I have not personally known of any of The Three Hundred Colonists. And your great great grandfather was a Captain ( and Commandant) of the Texas Rangers. Wow! And had a successful mill. And... And... And... Wow!

Thank you so much for sharing some of your family's historical roots in Texas. Very impressive.

Do you know if the house your great great grandfather built and sold to Stephen F. Austin is still standing?

And then he managed to sire 22 children. Oh wow.

Do you know many of your cousins? At your family reunions you must have hundreds show up.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm afraid my family was on the poor side of town at 709 E. Baltimore St.
    I didn't know we were "poor" when I was a kid because I was the grandchild and grew up with my grandparents who spoiled me rotten. (Yes, rotten.)

The first job I had after marriage (I had just gotten out of Seagoville Prison) was working for a wealthy JW who owned a Mobile Home Manufacturing business in Arlington (Hensley Mobile Homes). I made a whopping $2.25 per hour.

When Hensley shut down the plant for winter, I was offered another mobile home job on Pipeline Road near Bell Helicopter. I worked for two other JW brothers who also owned a janitorial service. That was "POPULAR" JW profession!

It was about that time I realized I would be living in poverty the rest of my natural JW life if I didn't move away and try to make something of myself using whatever natural talent for Art I possessed.

Being a janitor isn't shameful, of course. But if you can do other things to better yourself and you have a family to support---why wouldn't you try?

After 10 years in the Art Business in California, I moved back to Ft. Worth and have lived here ever since.

The family home my great-great grandfather built with his own two hands is in what has become a slum neighborhood and all the fine trees he planted have been cut down. It breaks my heart.
    We never had much or owned anything of value--but my memories of growing up in Ft. Worth are (when adjusted to remove the bad times) quite wonderful.

I'm sure we could all find some place in our heart for a city or a house or a neighborhood we knew as a child which lingers in memory ever green.

Almost all my Jehovah's Witness experiences took place in Texas. The awful part was on the other side of Dallas in Seagoville Federal Correctional Institution, of course. But--ya know...I loved the guys I was in prison with. I've lost all of them to time, to death, and to religious shunning. That still stings.

Whenever I see the old "friends" from the Kingdom Hall (usually at funerals) they look so beaten down, unhealthy, and depressed. I may be projecting partly--but I'm sure I don't see much of a glint in any old-timer's eyes anymore.

When my best friend, Johnny, died last year all those memories came forward and haunted me. I'm just so thankful I left when I did or I'd end up dying in a worthless fantasy death cult waiting on the bus to Paradise to arrive at the bus stop.

We all can be very grateful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit