Films of the decade - 80s

by LoveUniHateExams 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Lots of great films in this decade, too.

The Elephant Man (1980)

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

The Shining (1980)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

The Thing (1982)

First Blood (1982)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

The Terminator (1984)

The Fly (1986)

Near Dark (1987)

I remember seeing The Elephant Man for the first time when I was seven. My mum had a book about Joseph Merrick, the real 'Elephant Man', and I looked at that a bit, including photos. The film was shown a couple of weeks later and I asked my mum if I could watched it. I remember her saying something like, 'are you sure? Are you sure you won't get scared?' I said, no, watched it, and got scared. It was the bit in the film where the young nurse is asked to bring him up his breakfast. Looking at it now, you just now what's coming, lol. It's a great film. A few years later, when I was 12, me and my dad went to Blockbuster video.

'What do you want to watch, Phil?'

And I came back to him with The Elephant Man, lol.

I've included Near Dark here because I just love this film. It's hard to get a copy and it wasn't commercially successful at the box office. But it's a great vampire film, one of my favourites (either Near Dark or Let The Right One In, if we're talking vampire films).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg1zfnC7inE

Both The Thing and The Fly are great examples of body horror films featuring spectacular practical effects. They must be two of the best horror films ever, I think.

Got any good ones I've missed?

I know I must have missed loads ...

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The 1980s was truly a great decade for film. You touch and great ones. I was a young kid and have been into sci-fi/fantasy genre my whole life. Here are a few I would like to add under those genres -

Blade Runner

Outland

Conan the Barbarian

I started getting into the production and behind-the-scenes stories on these films. Blade Runner and Conan the Barbarian are truly quintessential to their respective genres in so many ways.

• riblah
    riblah

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Back to the Future ( the original is the best)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Top Gun

The Breakfast Club

Fletch

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

How could I forget,,,,Ghostbusters.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@truth_be_known - yes, Blade Runner is a very good film.

Another classic - how could I forget - is Aliens (1986).

And I also think Predator (1987) is very good. I love the way it just switches genres halfway through. It starts as a dumb action movie then becomes a slasher movie. Very original.

• Mum
    Mum

I really liked "Local Hero."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit