The reason you joined

by JH 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Why did you fall for the JW's when they knocked at your door so many years ago? If they didn't teach that they alone were saved, would you have still joined them?

What scriptures in the bible did they use to seduce you?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    What scriptures in the bible did they use to seduce you?

I thought they were such geniuses for bucking the Hellfire & Trinity doctrines. I remember telling my devout Catholic mum that at least JW's don't believe "that Trinity crap". She didn't like that.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Born into it, didn't have a choice. Had I been visited by witnesses as an adult, there is no way in hell I would join.

• blondie
    blondie

Chose baptism as a JW because my abusive father didn't want it. Sometimes we think life only offers 2 choices. That is the WT training. Actually, life offers us many choices, some good and some bad and some neither. It took awhile to realize I had still chosen abuse, just went from one abuser to another. I even held off getting married until I was almost 40 because I was scared I would pick an abusive person. I made a good choice and have a kind, loving, nonabusive man and we have both left an abusive organization.

Blondie

• caligirl
    caligirl

Unfortunately, I was not given the choice - I was raised a witness from the age of 1. Even being raised in it, I was not of the "humble mindset" that could accept what I was being told without questioning (at least in my own mind, though I knew better than to voice it) If I had not had the constraints of growing up as a witness, I doubt that they would have had a snowball's chance in hell of recruiting me.

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

I am also the product of breeding. .... anyone see the matrix?

It is a system designed to control and pacify. I unplugged myself at age twelve.

"WELCOME.... TO THE REAL." [MORPHEUS]

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I started studying at age 9 because I was disillusioned with the Methodist faith. A year later my parents started studying.

I got involved and really bought into everything hook line and sinker because at that point in my life no one took me seriously and no one answered my questions. The Witnesses did. I never used any of the publications (not even the Truth book) only the Bible. It was a true Bible study. The sister who studied with me was in her late 60's and yet sat on the floor with me and we talked about God, spirituality, life, the universe and the restaurant at the end.

She taught me to believe only in the Bible and to always look up every scripture. Why? Because the Watchtower was written by imperfect men and "we shouldn't believe anything they say until they back it up with God's Word." So I was taught to look skeptically at anything printed until I proved it to myself.

The strict nature of Jehovah's Witnesses actually helped me (I think) growing up. It gave me something to do and I didn't have time to think too much about an incestous family situation that I could do nothing about. But like any narcotic that helps in the short term, this one caused problems later on.

But I'm out now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit