Again, More confusion about the direction of the Watchtower Society

by Truth and Justice 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi Friends, I have not been on this board in awhile, and I would like to get some thoughts from some of you. I have noticed a change within my 4 siblings in approximately the last year and a half to 2 years regarding their communication with my Mother and I. They have either phoned us, texted, emailed, or written a letter or card to us. The conversation has been good, and on any topic that comes to mind. But the question I ask is: Why would they want to talk their brother or mother who is no longer a part of the organization? What has changed that now ALLOWS them to communicate with us when it was not acceptable?

When I use to attend as a young boy and for many years afterward, we were always COMMANDED that you were not to associate with family members that were DA or disfellowshipped or no longer a part of the organization. We were taught that people of that sort along with non witnesses would be destroyed in the END, if they did not change their ways, in other words, if you're not a witness in the sense of the word, you would be destroyed.

What has God asked of us, but to Love him, worship him, and honor his Son. He does not speak things and then change his mind as the organization continually does week after week. The society would pull scriptures out to explain why you should not have anything to do with your family that is not part of the organization. The RULES and REGULATIONS were applied in such a way that God was speaking to the GB, and they would speak it to us. Now it appararently it seems fine to communicate with us, because God changed his mind. What scriptures do they use now to counter the so-called scriptures they used before? Has God changed his mind again? I hardly think so. They have abused his name and his Son so badly, that God has nothing to do with them.

What is really bothersome to my folks and me, is the attitude of ignoring us, no communication, no family reunions, or getting together, and my parents having no association with the grand kids who are grown and married now, and no concern of any sort to show GENIUNE AFFECTION AND LOVE. While they have started to open up and become more communicative, they have not addressed or asked for forgiveness for the disregard for the many decades of pain and grief, and we're suppose to just forget about that. That's the part that bothers us.

As my mother very wisely pointed out. "If Jehovah is working on them, which in our opinion he is, then we should be patient with him, and see it how it works out."

So maybe this is something that is changing for others as well. Just look at all the changes that have been made in the past 3 years. (No beards, No more service time, meetings that don't involve heavy learning but has become so childlike without meat, and those ZOOM meetings, now thats got to be fun. No dress up and relax in the lazyboy with a drink, and the stupidity of counting your 10 minutes a month or whatever it is, using tablets to spread the message of hope instead of the bible, and many other changes that have been made so that MEETING ATTENDANCE can improve.) Well, the meeting attendance is'nt working.

It seems that worshipping God has become cheapened, and its quite sad. I am glad to be free from all this since the mid 80's, it is nowhere the same organization that I was in. I am sad that so many continually suffer. And I hope that things will get drastically worse so that people will wake up and realize how far they have come from the real message.

Happy Trails to all,

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

I don’t think there has been any official change on shunning but the general feeling is lightening up on everything. Yes the old way have been cheapened you are correct to put it this way.

maybe this explains it

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

It is probably mostly they tired of and see the bs. Covid did us all a favor with curtailed service and no frantic getting ready for meetings.

Remember; "thinkingest people" will question why the scriptural things like beard prohibition suddenly changed

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TRUTH AND JUSTICE:

I don’t blame you for being resentful over these people ignoring/mistreating you for so long with the result being ruined family relationships. Years have passed and they just imagine they can try to come back into your life with no apologies !!!

Witnesses are deceived into believing people are like a light switch that can be turned On or Off.. They are so wrong.

I believe the reason JWs are ‘reaching out’ to estranged people is a combination of factors: the bad publicity the religion is getting and/or the realization that they have driven SO many away with their toxic environment and arrogance..Their numbers are declining and elderly Baby Boomers make up a significant portion of whatever people still go there.. They probably see the handwriting on the wall.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I abruptly faded and my family began shunning me as soon as they confirmed that I was not going to return. How did it affect me?

I am happy now! Even if they tried to rekindle a relationship, I would not allow it. Shunning me is a gift as far as I am concerned. Their is no room for their toxicity in my life.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The 2023 October Elder Manual has this to say about associating with disfellowshipped and disassociated people.

The two words to look for are: Nonrelative and Relative
    If a person associates with a "relative" who is disfellowshipped he or she would not qualify for privileges, but a judicial meeting would "not" be needed, unless there were spiritual conversations going on or fault of the elders was being discussed about the relative being disfellowshipped.
    Since JW's know this they are contacting their disfellowshipped relatives occasionally.
    A Nonrelative would have different rules and regulations.
    https://imgbox.com/lI3ZUMNX

Atlantis!
  • no-zombie
    no-zombie

I think that there is another factor, at play here.

When you think about the average active Witness over the last 50 years, the ratio of 'die-hard' believers to the more relaxed behaving Brother, it has clearly changed. I've been in one congregation or another a lot longer that 50 years, and I can tell you that in earlier days, everyone kept to rules, rigidly. However today, the pendulum has swung clearly the other way, with the far greater majority being highly flexible regarding the application of Governing Body law.

For example, it was normal in the past, that if a CO visit was shifted over your planned holiday, you changed or canceled your holidays. If an Elder was scheduled to give a Public Talk away in another congregation, he would still make it to his own meeting, to do his preassigned parts. Its just how it was.

Thus it should be no surprise to us, that disfellowshipping behavior, has become more relaxed amongst the brotherhood as they invent more and more excuses for contact. I actually think, that most now don't even try to find excuses, they just do want they want ... as they understand that there is no value in being a hard core Jehovah's Witness.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think there’s a number of other factors in play, too.

The threat of DFing doesn’t seem to carry the weight it once did…

…it’s harder and harder to keep from asking oneself “if they’re wrong about this, that, and the other thing, what else are they wrong about?”…

…and a hardline stance can never last long-term… it’s just too fucking exhausting for regular people to maintain it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We have recently had three visits that were unexpected, a sibling I had not seen for several years, who specifically came from abroad for a short holiday just to see us, another close relative, an Elder, and then another Elder, and his wife, not relatives, but I knew them from when they were babies.

Something must have changed ! after all these years, three in a row ? I am in the U.K, so this must be an Org. wide thing ??

All were careful not to talk "religion", or even stray close to it, but all were very pleasant, and as normal as a JW can be !

The last guy, the non-relative Elder, I know is somewhat awake, I am hoping he may visit me without his wife, so we can talk openly. He seemed to be very conscious that she was there, and she is still thoroughly indoctrinated, but she is a lovely person.

Nobody told me there would be days like these, Strange Days Indeed. (John Lennon).

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I know JW's who will tell an Elder to his face (You are "not" telling me that I can not associate with my son or daughter or relative. They are my blood take your rules and ram them up your ass!)

I know a sister right now who has told her JW husband that she will tell an elder those very words if an elder starts any crap with her. The husband prays that they will not get a shepherding call, because his JW wife visits with her disfellowshipped daughter all the time.

There are JW's out there who ARE NOT going to be told that they can not associate with their loved one. Period!

Grandpa!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit