Talking with a young elder

by biblexaminer 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

re; the posters who have nothing good to say.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

re; punkofnice

"They seem to have the idea that the WBT$ isn't perfect but 'it's the nearest thing to the truth.'"

Ain't that the truth.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    BE: Do you suffer from low self esteem?
    No, nor do I suffer rude people lightly.
    Your OP was not clear. I asked for clarification rather than assuming I understood your point since it was not clearly articulated.
  • biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

re; Oubliett

"Your OP was not clear. I asked for clarification rather than assuming I understood your point since it was not clearly articulated"

On the board, there are those who 'got it' straight off. No? I can read that there.

I give readers credit for having some grey matter of their own. They can figure things out.

However, if a student stumbles into a class for advanced calculus, and he has grade 9 math, he's not going to understand. If he raises himself up as a scholar a midst that group and talks negatively among those who have learned and comprehend things on a level beyond his understanding, then he only makes himself the fool.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Good exchange. I mean, good testimony

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BE, you could have simply clarified your point. But no, you chose to respond in a condescending, pedantic manner.

You might think you were clear, but you were not. I find your writing abstruse and your prose opaque. For example:

It was a general statement giving credit to the reader for the collective ability to discern the relativity of said point with respect of the foregone conclusions reached with the line of reasoning introduced.

I suppose you think that is an example of good writing. It is not. I'm reminded of a well-known song by Carly Simon .... but I digress.

Thankfully, Morpheus graciously clarified for you. Had you read my response to his post you would have known that I inferred the same message as he, but prefer not to make assumptions when something is not explicit.

It's interesting that you choose to respond with an arrogant, snarky attitude rather than simply clarifying.

I was considering apologizing for calling you an "asshole" since said you found that offensive, but will refrain as your response and continued pettiness provide abundant evidence that my initial assessment was accurate.

Btw, there is an "e" on the end of my username. Spelling counts.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik
    wannaexit, I accidentally red narrowed your comment. Very sorry! I'm on a Kindle with tiny like and dislike buttons. I wholeheartedly agree with you!
  • biblexaminer
    biblexaminer
    Oubliette
    Allow me to quote you finally. You said "... isn't clear about the point he wanted to make."

The point, fellow poster, is that this was a life's experience. It isn't a "writing" as you make reference to. I had no intention of writing a novel or a user manual designed to point everything out for each reader. The fact that you failed to grasp the significance of the conversation I was relating is unimportant. You interjected yourself into the discussion trying to make yourself the focus. The whole world should stop turning because you failed to grasp the meaning. (insert kicking and screaming here)

You would walk into a lecture about rocket science and tell the instructor he was "abstruse" because you couldn't get it.

And when he threw you out of the room, you would label him "pedantic".

Those that needed to understand, those who have history in the Org, those who have some bible learning under their belt... these understand. And they can use this tool.

Now, I won't bother you again. I would appreciate the reciprocal.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

You're funny, BE!

I didn't make this about me; you did that.

Your hypothetical situation about a rocket scientist is ironically interesting. Curious you should have chosen that.

The summer before last, I spent two weeks at a teacher's institute at JPL-NASA in Pasadena. Each day's agenda included a number of different activities, often featuring lectures by scientists from any of the a wide range of fields related to robotic space exploration at NASA. Many of those scientists were what most would loosely call "rocket scientists."

Although some of the lecturers were perhaps more engaging than others, all were very articulate and clear in discussing highly technical projects ranging from the Mars Rover missions to the Cassini flyby of Saturn. At the end of each session was an open Q&A. No matter what questions were asked (and keep in mind this was a room full of science teachers), all of the lecturers were always very gracious and forthcoming in offering additional explanations and clarification. It was apparent they loved what they did and were eager to share that enthusiasm with other.

It was very informative and a lot of fun.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    Elders can only understand what is in the Watchtower article.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit