Its been almost a year since I've been out; got a visit this past Sunday

by Leander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

I'm not at the point of being an atheist, but I do feel that I'm ignorant of God's purpose for humans.

And your not alone. How can a person pursue anything.....when you have doubts about the bible being God's word?

For me....my doubts are gone about that subject and I feel good about it. No loving God would do the things the bible has said he has done and will do. He hasn't shown his face in all our troubles.

BTW....it's nice to see your name again here as it seems it's been awhile.

Gumby

• garybuss
    garybuss
    Did Jesus preaching commandment really extend to all christians?

Jesus did not talk to christians. He talked to Jews mostly. Christians did not exist then.

Scripturally is it possible to prove that 1914 does not have the significance that the org claims it to be?

Yes. Read 3 worlds and vol 3 of Studies. You will be able to refute all claims to divine origin of 1914.

Did the bible ever fortell of a group who would form the slave class?

Not really . . . . not any more than it predicts a couple hundred other classes. Every Biblical story depicts a profile that could be called a class. Stay out of the Bible with a JW. It's like being in a pissing contest with a skunk.

Why do the JW's use the Lutheran cannon of the Bible and not the Catholic cannon? Can any Witness answer?

• blondie
    blondie

Gary, I thought that was because the Catholics include the Apocrypha as inspired in the Bible canon. Also Rutherford hated the Catholic Church. Not that Russell painted them favorably. Didn't he consider the Papacy the Antichrist.

Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

Blondie, You most likely are right on a pragmatic level. Pragmatism is wasted on a Witness though, don't you agree?

What religious reasons do the JW's give for excluding the Apocrypha? The Witness Bible says "ALL scripture is inspired and beneficial." But they don't use ALL scripture. They only use SOME scripture. Why?

Anyone?

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

As I recall, the WTS said that when reading Bible verses its important to consider the context and to whom the statement was addressed.

Jesus told his APOSTLES to preach in Matt. 28:19,20. Not being an apostle, I never felt the need to go from door to door though I did to keep the elders off my back.

An interesting sidelight; Did the Ethiopian eunuch, Cornelius or the Samaritan woman at the well receive the command to preach? What about Nicodemus? Joseph of Arimathea? It seems there was a whole host of folks in the first century who were never told to get out and go from door to door.

Warrigal

• gumby
    gumby

But they don't use ALL scripture. They only use SOME scripture. Why?

Hey Gary,

They use scripture that "fits" their agenda at the time. You will notice that most scripture that is quoted in their literature..........is in the O.T.

The reason for this is they can dwell on Jehovah...rather than Jesus who is the center of attention in the N.T. The N.T. refutes their teachings on salvation by faith through God's grace in Jesus.

The O.T. also puts the fear of Jehovah in them by reminding them of the slaughter he made against all opposers.......the N.T. doesn't dwell on that.

When they do use the N.T.......they quote partially and cut the scripture short when the idea presented in it fades from their intended purpose.

Gumby

• garybuss
    garybuss

Gumby, I have noticed some selective quoting When a Witness says they follow what the Bible says, I ask them if they have sold all their possessions and given the money to the poor? If they say no, I ask them why . . . . ???

• gumby
    gumby

Good one Gary.LOL

I suppose their are many other scriptures a person could quote also if you thought about it.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a nice looking dub woman ..."rip her garments and throw ashes on her head"

Gumby

• Latte
    Latte
    he spent 5-10 minutes lecturing my brother-in-law about bringing his 8 month old daughter to the book study wearing pants, this was during the winter months mind you.) about being

Creepy......perhaps he preferred her in a skirt?

Personally, I would not of entertained the guy after this comment....clearly one of those elders that know evrything about bringing up children, having chosen not to have any themselves, yet, know NOTHING about children.

• Black Man
    Black Man

What's up Leander.......

Just dealing with the slave-class part.......there is NO slave class. THE WTBS have taken ONE scripture where it makes mention of a Faithful & Discreet Slave Class and turned it into their MOST EFFECTIVE marketing tool. There really isn't a basis for it. If there was.....it would be mentioned more than the ONE time it is brought up in the bible.....................

Keep pluggin' away bro'............good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit