Why do Jehovah's Witnesses attend so many meeting?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeslice
    eyeslice
    BluesBrother
    Hey we used to have Three meetings a week, Thursday, Sunday and the Tuesday Group Study. We all felt that they got rid of the best one when they axed the Group Study ….

Tea and cakes after the group study always went down well. The reason given at the time was to cut the travelling expenses for the brothers, so instead they closed and sold off kingdom halls, merged congregations and made them travel even more.

Also, I remember when circuit assemblies were three days (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday) and 8 day conventions (they seemed to last an eternity). And then were was the Saturday evening congregation meeting with the circuit overseer. We had one comedian CO who used to say about this 'spiritual meal' - "don't be late, it'd dinner at 8:00, no need to bring your knives and forks, just your mugs".

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

" just your mugs"

back in my early teens the CO used to say that--Graham Carmichael--in the UK, 1960's.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I had the impression that they ended the weekly book study because they realized that the meeting schedule was onerous and might wear people out. The thing was, it was the most convenient of the meetings for most people- the location was usually closer to home than the Kingdom Hall, it was only an hour, and it was a small and cozy group. They let us host it at our apartment for many years, which made it even more convenient.

But if the WTS was going to shorten the schedule, they couldn't cut either of the big meetings. So they axed the one that was probably the most popular, while still using people's apartments as a staging location for field service. They used my apartment for a few years even after I faded, because my mother is a diehard PIMI and I wasn't causing any trouble and I think they were hoping to get me to go back in.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice
    stan livedeath
    Graham Carmichael

Yes that name rings a bell. We would have been in Mosely congregation, Birmingham at the time

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Slice--

. "We would have been in Mosely congregation, Birmingham at the time"

oh--wow. We were in Hockley congregation--meeting in a rented school hall. I attended with parents 1960--68, then i moved to West Bromwich--where my girlfriend was. That was in a different circuit--i think there were 3 circuits covering the Birmingham and surrounding areas.

Moseley--i was born at home in Balsall Heath road..not far from Moseley.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit