Does This Board Have A "Teaching"?

by rocketman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

Having frequented this board for about two years, I've noticed over time that, in a sense, there has come to be almost a 'religion', set of beliefs, or 'teaching' that has kind of evolved here. There seem to be certain things that the majority, in some cases even a consensus, of members here agree on. Some examples that come to mind:

Consensus (or near Consensus):

Shunning is wrong, acceptance of tranfused blood is a matter of conscience, door-to-door preaching is ineffective, women should be allowed more rights and privilages than jws and perhaps some other religions allow. What goes on sexually between consenting adults is strictly their own business. Participation in sports, college education, and other career choices is not only not discouraged, but encouraged. There is no Governing Body that should feel empowered to decide or weigh in strongly on matters of faith, and especially on matters of personal choice. A very strong policy against child abuse should be enacted, including no "two witness" rule, and immediate reporting to authorties, whether required by state law or not. If a religion errs, it should come clean and apologize.

Majority:

Many disfellowshiping offenses are not acts that one should be df'd for (smoking, boxing, voting, etc). There is no hellfire. Christ is Mediator to more than just the "anointed".

Mixed (it seems that we go about 50-50 or so on these):

Whether there should be disfellowshiping at all. The existence of God. The proper use and pronunciation of God's name. The acceptance of the Bible as unerring and thus the sole basis for true religious belief. The existence of a Trinity.

There are more, of course, and maybe some of my categorizations could be changed, but the general idea I am trying to explore is whether we have, in a sense, formed a body of teaching or even, in a very loose sense, a religion. What do you think?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Interesting questions.

I would say this board is a marketplace of ideas, freely spoken. We were not allowed to "bandy about" ideas when confined inside the Jehovah's Witness organization.

As in any marketplace, certain trends take hold. Certain things come to have more sway, because they are more effective, more powerful, easier to use/understand, etc.

The things you listed as "near consensus" I almost totally agree with. If someone chooses not to believe them, they are not kicked off. But likely they will not win any arguments here.

The religious beliefs you listed about the existence of God, is Christ our Mediator, etc., matter to some people and don't matter to others.

All in all, everyone's perspective is welcomed (unless they come in with a bad attitude), but in this marketplace the stronger ideas will most often win out, imho.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

We talk about the experience that most of us have in common - the experience of being one of Jehovah's Witnesses. There are a few brave curious souls who visit even though they were never JWs themselves, and their comments are valued, but by and large this is a virtual roomful of XJWs.

We could start a discussion of Ohm's Law if you'd like, or the life cycle of the cicada, or the industrial preparation of hydrogen peroxide, but there wouldn't be any comments after the first one.

Our teaching is this: there's something inside your head. Use it.

• nowisee
    nowisee

wts cannot be equated with God. wts is wrong. unconditional love is right. non-judgement is right.

• minimus
    minimus

This board does have one true teaching and it is that there is but one mediator between God and this board, and it is Farkel.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

maybe there is some mathematical formula that shows X-JW particles when repulsed from negative charges of the WTS atom, began to drift into free space. Most eventually are captured by positively charged ions of Unitarian-Universalist molecules.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I hate the idea of recording the consensus opinion of this board. I like the democratic, organic growth of JWD. I enjoy observing the waves of newcomers that ride in once in a while. We ride high on emotion sometimes; outrage, welcoming, warmth, friendship, passion. I feel if we try and hem JWD in, measure it, define it, it is a kind of murder? Like reading a textbook description on the proper way to masticate steak. Why not just enjoy it?

• heathen
    heathen

Um , freemind good , WT bad. I am one of those that was never in the org. but did study with them with their in home bible study plan and I did notice some very bad reasoning coming from them and was immediately put down for bringing it to their attention . Needless to say that was the end of that . I find this place interesting because of the experiences coming from those in the org ,(some of whom claim to be elders even) are so outspoken and willing to tell in detail what kind of hell they actually were dealing with .I think one teaching from here is that the WT is a cult .

• Farkel
    Farkel

Let's examine these so-called "teachings" shall we?

: Shunning is wrong,

That's not a teaching. "Shunning is a 'teaching'." You cannot criticize "shunning" unless someone teaches it. No "teaching" there, but rather a resistence to a teaching.

: acceptance of tranfused blood is a matter of conscience,

See above.

: door-to-door preaching is ineffective,

See above.

: women should be allowed more rights and privilages than jws and perhaps some other religions allow.

See above.

: What goes on sexually between consenting adults is strictly their own business.

See above.

: Participation in sports, college education, and other career choices is not only not discouraged, but encouraged.

See above.

: There is no Governing Body that should feel empowered to decide or weigh in strongly on matters of faith, and especially on matters of personal choice.

See above.

: A very strong policy against child abuse should be enacted, including no "two witness" rule, and immediate reporting to authorties, whether required by state law or not.

See above.

As you can see, most of us don't "teach" anything. We disagree with what is taught by idiots, that's all.

If I say "God told me that you should give up your lives and serve me," now THAT is a teaching. If you say, "Farkel, that is total bullshit. God doesn't talk to you, and even if he did, he wouldn't say THAT," would you condsider your own comment to be a "teaching?" Of course not!

:If a religion errs, it should come clean and apologize.

Would you think that if a religion errs, it should not come clean and not apologize? Especially if that religion claims to be the ONLY religion that speaks for God on this planet? If not, why not?

Farkel

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

I don't know if this board has a "Teaching" but it is sure a fascinating place with interesting people. Thank you, Nathan Natas, from one of the brave and curious non JWs who visits this forum.

People, like all of you, who have examined their religion, and their whole lifestyle and culture, and taught themselves to look at the wider world with open eyes, so often say fascinating things. I am awed and amazed by your courage. Your pleasure in a "Happy Birthday" reminds me that I have had so many joys my whole life and I darn well should appreciate that I didn't have the WT telling me what to do.

Having examined so much, well....you just keep on analyzing and examining. Thank you for letting me share your forum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit