How long could you live without electricity?

by JH 29 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    adendumb: i have gas.

Would you like some Rolaids for that gas?

• jws
    jws

I've got camping gear for camping trips that includes a propane space heater (except it's supposed to be used in open spaces with ventilation). So we could huddle around that, if we use it outside where it is presumably cold. We also have a fireplace, but only a few logs. We've got a Coleman grill with plenty of fuel and a pretty good supply of water. Also have the power inverter for my car, but that isn't going to run too many things. The main thing would be to keep food cold if power was lost in summer. I think I need a generator or to invest in solar.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

hey, where are you jws?

If you have access to bottled gas (and are addicted to cold dairy products :) you can run a fridge and lights from that. I am just about to try out the new 'cluster diode' lamps. They are suposed to be very energy efficient and, because they have no filiment to break, last 'virtually forever'.. (candles get a bit boring after a while) Solar is getting better and better. I ran my computer and lights off that for a while in my last bush house and will be buying a new system later in the year (the way technology is racing ahead it's best to keep your system as small and simple as posible)

Fortunately i'm building on a ridge so i'm able to rig the rainwater supply so i don't need electric pumps to give me good water pressure (a tank from my wombat house supplies water to the main house lower down etc..) Smart design can remove a lot of headaches.

unclebruce who can't live without water

• Derrick
    Derrick

Good question, Jan. Due to the California energy crisis, I'm seriously considering taking my home off the grid (at least partially if the estimates are too costly for 100% solar). I'm amazed at the technology. In order to provide some power (light, fan, laptop computer, television and coffee maker), I keep a deep cycle marine battery fully charged at all times, and keep a top of the line quality 120 watt solar panel available to recharge the battery in an extended outage. Fortunately the outages have been limited to less than an hour (knock on wood!) but it seems like a matter of time before the outages last longer. Lots of people on my block have solar panels on their rooftops to run all critical systems (such as refridge, lights with new bright incandescent bulbs that emit 75 watts or more of brightness but use only 30 watts or less of power from manufacturers such as Lights of America, computer, television and miscellaneous appliances) in the event of an outage. These systems often reduce their year-round energy consumption by a certain percentage so that the system is paid over time. ALSO, the energy company PG&E gives generous rebates for solar installations to reduce capital expenditures by each homeowner. Going completely off the grid is very expensive I'm told, and after the estimates come in for various configurations I might decide a partial solution that will shutdown the house air-conditioning system (and if necessary ventilation/filtration systems). Just a few years ago I never would have considered going this route considering the cost! I cannot stress the benefit of everyone purchasing a standby battery and solar panel to recharge the battery. I bought mine from a local solar dealer but have seen excellent buys on the Internet for similar backup systems that cost under a thousand dollars. Of course the war is going to really aggravate the problem at least I'm told this will happen in California where I live. (If this is all lumped together like my last post it's because something isn't working and the line feeds are getting dropped.) Derrick

• blackout
    blackout

we have a wood stove and a wood heater and a gas bbq. Also some gas camping equipment, so I reckon we could go on indefinately. Just need a gas fridge.

• anglise
    anglise

Hi everyone

we have camped regularly for the last 40 years and so to a certain extent know how to live for a while without all the mod cons and 'leccy.

I dont know how long we could cope in the normal domestic environment having only done it for a few hours at a time during power cuts.

We have stocked up our butane and have 3 camping stoves and 3 solar panels.

I always keep a good supply cupboard so that we can go away for a few days without having to shop.

Anglise

• COMF
    COMF

Depends on the quantities of my neighbors' canned food, how recently the stock trucks ran at the local grocery stores, how many of them come to my place at once, and whether I've already headed south or not.

Refrigerators don't work without electricity, and food doesn't keep well in a fridge that isn't working. And the creation of this suburban sprawl drove out 90% of the wildlife and flattened the rest on the roads. Don't find many edible plants growing in mall parking lots.

So I figure, once the neighbors start to run out of canned food they'll raid the grocery stores, and there'll be fullscale panic with everybody trying to get all the goods before everybody else. The killing will start there, inside the stores. But it'll quickly spread to the houses, too.

The water in your hot water heaters and toilet tanks is going to be to-die-for precious, too.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

this thread is probably dead but i just had to reply.

When I was in High School my dad had a "dispute" with the electric company and refused to pay the bill. WE didn't have electricity for 2 1/2 years!!! I kid you not.

We got a wood stove which I would chop wood for my mom to cook on. A coleman lantern and kerosene lanterns and my dad rigged up a little TV to run from a car battery.

The worst part was that we all had WATER BEDS and in the winter they got so cold!

sometimes it was nice, I felt liked Abe Lincoln studying by lanternlight...but mostly it sucked so bad. Especially since this was High School and it meant I couldn't bring anyone over but my closest friends. Oh and by the way I don't think we had a telephone for like 10 years all during my teen hood.

Basically we were pretty poor which is why I went on to college and have strived to live a better life materially.

-Eduardo

• Simon
    Simon

I remember the frequent power-cuts in the UK when I was growing up. What an adventure! Going round the house with torch and candles

Of course now it would just be a massive inconvenience. No Internet !!!

I'd *have* to have a generator.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    unclebruce who can't live without water

We're all just drips really!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit