Jehovah's witness cannot perform marriages in Norway

by blondie 19 Replies latest jw friends

• careful
    careful

I suspect that the org has already instituted in Norway the procedure used for decades in other lands (for example, Greece) where a non-official marriage talk is given by an elder at the KH and then the couple goes down to the right govt. agency and registers the marriage as a civil event, not a religious one.

Then, of course, the honeymoon (well, not for C.T. Russell!).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It’s not about marriages.

It’s about loss of official registration as a state-recognized religion and the regular state-sponsored checks that came with it.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Sure, but that will just fall back on the R&F. They can use the "persecution" as fund raising. Nothing will change.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Loss of tax-exemption-slash-subsidies from Satan’s World are “persecution”?

• blondie
    blondie

I suspect that the org has already instituted in Norway the procedure used for decades in other lands (for example, Greece) where a non-official marriage talk is given by an elder at the KH and then the couple goes down to the right govt. agency and registers the marriage as a civil event, not a religious one.

Careful, that's correct, used in Greece where marriages were not recognized unless done by the Greek Orthodox, and in Catholic countries, where divorces for adultery were not recognized either, so people would just move on to common-law spouses. The WTS approved the marriages and when the rule was lifted by the government/Catholic church, their marriage was recorded officially.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Loss of tax-exemption-slash-subsidies from Satan’s World are “persecution”?

Yeah, of course. They can spin it however they want. Ultimately it will be: 'Satan's world treats us differently from other religions because we follow the Bible closely'.

Then insert special needs talk followed by call for.more contributions to offset the 'losses' from the mean, bady, bad, bad governments.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sorry, but I can’t think of any way that you can spin “paying back Caesars things to Caesar” as persecution, and have anyone with half a brain take it seriously.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I think in general Norwegian jw's have a more positive view of the authorities in spite of the theology.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

If I am not mistaken, the subsidies were upwards of $2 million per year. A pretty significant outlay for a relatively small religious denomination. If that number is correct, I can see why they'd be upset at losing their registration. I wonder if it is legal for them to funnel that money back to the HQ in the USA? Two million buys a lot of booze.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Most of it was sent to support the world wide work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit