Do You Think Your Faith Was Real?

by sandy 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

At one time, I did believe that my faith was real, or as real as it could be.

I think I wanted my faith to be something real, and meaningful.

Eventually, it all came apart, and disintegrated. No matter how hard I studied the WTBTS material, or read the Bible, prayed or went out in service (pioneered)...my faith began to die.

I did my best, and when I was a Dub, I gave it my best, but of course, that was never: enough

The only faith I have now...is that tomorrow, and all the other tomorrows after that, will keep on coming.

• starScream
    starScream

I don't know if what the JWs have can be called faith.

I absolutely believed everything the Watchtower said and claimed to be. I wasn't trying to trick myself. It was very real for me. I don't think it was faith though. It was mental education by an instituiton. Faith means trust. It is something that is intangible and irrational. To a Christian it is trusting in Christ through love. That does not fit with the Watchtower. The Watchtower has as its facade presumption of authority in contrast to faith in Christ.

I would say I did not have faith in Christ because the term "faith in Christ" I would not have understood what it meant or even be aware that such a term existed. If someone told me they had faith in Christ I would have been laughing on the inside. I knew subconciously they were not within the 'presumption of authority' and that their faith was useless. I remember talking to people at doors and they would say how much God changed their lives and they looked very emotional about it. I remember automatically judging them as unchristian or wicked because they might have been wearing sweat pants or have a beard. I remember that I actually felt confident that I was superior because I went to "church" three times a week, walked around wearing a suit, and made the organization look "christian" aka good. The fact that I was at their door told me I was right and that YOU should listen to ME!!!!

• logansrun
    logansrun

starScream,

You said that faith "is something intangible and irrational."

Why would anyone want to have an irrational belief system that is not grounded in tangible reality as the guiding principle in their life?

Bradley

• jgnat
    jgnat

StarScream, you make some excellent points. I have seen it too, the automatic brain shut-off valve at the first mention of "trinity", "cross", or "heaven". Of course Christendom have it wrong, they don't have to study for two years just to get baptized or voluntarily put on a suit three or four times a week!

• starScream
    starScream

logansrun,

Why would anyone want to have an irrational belief system that is not grounded in tangible reality as the guiding principle in their life?

I said :

Faith means trust. It is something that is intangible and irrational.

Faith is irrational. Something that is irrational can still exist and be valuable. Pi is irrational as a number. It cannot be tangibly defined or rationally expressed as a number even though it is a number with numeric value. What part does Pi have in engineering?

I am assuming your question was rhetorical and at me....

I said, faith means trust. In terms of Christianity I made the focus of this trust Jesus Christ. I made no refference to a belief system nor did I say anything about said system being the "guiding principle" in my life. I'm not even sure what guiding principle said system is in contrast to that would qualify it with the word "the".

The implcation of your question has been misguided in terms of what I said.

If your question was not rhetorical...

The U.S. Marine Corps as its motto is semper fidelis. This means ever faithful. Given what they do and how well they do it I have no reason to ask them why. I'm sure it is because it helps them do what it is they do. (If your question was not rhetorical) and the subject interests you so much maybe you could write your dissertation on the power of faith.

jgnat,

yes, I remember Christianity was too easy to be true. That was why it was false. My mom made that point so many times it stopped sounding moronic. I remember going to the meetings and seeing all these people that are "suposedly" christian just hanging around. "Yes, I am so much better then they are. I am going to the meeting and showing Jehovah that I am better than they are. I am exposing their error by sitting in the Kingdom Hall not paying attention."

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Faith is irrational. Something that is irrational can still exist and be valuable. Pi is irrational as a number.
    The U.S. Marine Corps as its motto is semper fidelis. This means ever faithful.

StarScream, some words have more than one meaning, you know.

• nowisee
    nowisee

hi sandy

i didn't see your question until today, and i didn't know i could send you a personal message until today. i am still learning to find my way around on this amazing machine, not to mention trying to get to all the immensely interesting info on this site. this alone could take a lifetime.

i did reply to you on my post, hope you saw it. another book that helped me greatly this past year was "a skeptic's search for God" by ralph muncaster. i also wanted to urge you to pray, knock, ask, seek. don't let a feeling of having turned your back on God because you are questioning the org. prevent you from going to Him. you are not turning your back on Him. read luke ll:9-13. don't be afraid. do it diligently and He will be there to help you.

yes, i think my faith was real, but at that time i had very misguided information about the object of my faith. my best to you, my heart goes out to you. don't give up.

nowisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit