Under WT rules, can JW women file for a divorce? Or can only men file?

by JimmyPage 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    It's what ever the elders want. A friend's wife left him saying he wasn't a spiritual enough leader. During their serperation he started having a friendship with a woman at work. He never touched her in any sexual way but his elders still dfd him saying he wasn't being a proper christian. His wife went off and got remarried no problem.
  • sir82
    sir82

Any JW can divorce for any reason.

Of course, the only "approved" reason is adultery.

A divorce for any other reason will result in loss of any & all "extra privileges" (elder, pioneer, etc.) and neither one will be "scripturally free to remarry". Remarriage if not "scripturally free" will lead to DFing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    joe134cd
    Women not been allowed to file for divorce on the grounds of adultery is just totally nonsense.
    Ahh that's not the case here Joe.
    The point being that JWS are not allowed to remarry until its proven their Ex committed ether fornication or he or she remarries to another person.
    That's why the JW laws are cruel and apathetically harmful.
    I think at one point JWS weren't not allowed to divorce until adultery was assumed or proven.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Remarriage if not "scripturally free" will lead to DFing.

Ah that might not be the case, I think there is a softening on that point as of late.

You might lose privileges or be privately reproved .

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

A JW woman can file for divorce.

She will be counselled though. If there is no adultery she just won't be free to marry again.

But she will not be disfellowshipped.

It's exactly as Sir82 said.

• sir82
    sir82

Remarriage if not "scripturally free" will lead to DFing.

Ah that might not be the case, I think there is a softening on that point as of late.

Remarriage without being "scripturally free" is counted as "fornication". It would be well-nigh impossible to "demonstrate repentance" if you go through all the paperwork & regulations of a marriage.

Thus it would, 99% of the time, lead to DF on the grounds of "fornication".

• awake!watcher
    awake!watcher
    She can file as long as she wears the appropriate head covering. You know, the subjection thing....
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

She can file for divorce for whatever reason they want, though there could be issues with privileges like pioneering that could be taken away. Also they would not be "scripturally" be free to date or remarry.

Besides adultery, spiritual endangerment, or severe physical danger are the WT authorized reasons to divorce without being considered having done something not spiritually wise.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We've seen the grounds used several times that my daddy's an elder - poof! The problem husband is drummed out and a new better model welcomed in, no sweat, man!

Also an elder who beat hell out of 3 different wives, they would leave him, his buddies would find reasons to d-f them, and he would arrive at a meeting a couple weeks later with the replacement for all the shocked but kissing-ass brethren to welcome. Oh yeah, he was well to do, owned his own biz.

Marina

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I've been in the Borg all my life and have never heard that there was a difference between a man or woman filing for a divorce.

If a man physically abuses his wife or if a woman takes a baseball bat and beats the crap out of her husband, I never knew there was a difference ... unless there is some unwritten rule that her beating her husband was somehow not showing subjection or some other nonsense.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit