Overlapping generation pushed me to the brink

by Anator 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    This is sin of omission. They don't mention what the early Bible Students thought was significant about 1914. Like you said, they predicted Armageddon to break out in 1914. When WWI broke out, they thought they were right. Lol. Funny to think about now. What must they have thought when world conditions settled back down into relativepeace.
    This entire organization was founded on false prophecy.

Agree with you, but I would like to add as far as I understand it is that Rutherford didn't decide all of this until 1923 In other words he didn't discern anything in 1914 - they were expecting armaggedon in 1914 & it did not happen.

Russell died disappointed the year after in 1915.

In 1923 Rutherford looked back at the first world war & Russells prophecy failure and made the prediction that the ancient worthies would return in 1925 (Abraham etc) and that that jesus returned invisably in 1914 - I submit that neither of these events happened.

The whole 1914 thing was decided after the fact. Well we can all be wise in hindsight!It hardly makes us prophetic!

• Alive!
    Alive!

Great point Pete.

If I should take a 'believers/biblical' point of view - I'd have to scrutinise what came out of Rutherford's mouth. He prophesied that the ancient prophets would be resurrected and built a mansion for them - this 'prophetic' and 'inspired utterance' was made well known throughout his world - including an article in NY times.

This isn't a light error - if I hear this with 'Christian believing ears' I have to filter it through the word of God's cautions - if the utterance isn't from God ( and it isn't if it isn't true) - who is it from?

So - here is a man who made many claims and speeches that have been entirely misleading - not just a wee miscalculation here and there.

That's fine. That was his problem.

Our problem is do we trust the sayings of a man which were obviously tinted with misleading 'lies'....ridiculous prophetic utterances that surely 'hurt' Jehovah's name? Not just then - but now.

I walked away, I had to - this man's sympathisers and collaborators still carry on the same pattern today....and behave and talk in the same pattern.

I wasn't prepared to draw people to God via these men who do not have a pattern of honesty or transparency - but worse, a pattern of unscriptural 'utterances' which detracts from the true message.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Pete Zahut:

It was drummed into our heads as JW's to look at (and agonize over) the origins of things.

So, using ONLY society material, do in depth research (don't even need to use 'apostate' sources)

Yes indeed. So if we have found that the origin of witness doctrines are incorrect, or founded on what is now "false light", then it should be rejected right?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/385530004/rejecting-something-due-unscriptural-pagan-origins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit