Finally received our "shepherding call" today

by Jourles 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

garrybuss

i like your style man! that answerphone stunt brought a smile to my face.

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

My vested interest is as far as my situation, not yours. Sorry for being vague.

I too received a call (after many moons) asking if they could come by, and am debating what to do. I don't want to get into a situation where they are asking pointed questions that I cannot answer without "incriminating" myself ("do you believe XYZ", "do you accept that...", etc).
    I have too much at stake. However, I need to know if refusing to answer questions is going to put me in the same boat as if I answer the questions in a "bad" way.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I don't want to get into a situation where they are asking pointed questions that I cannot answer without "incriminating" myself ("do you believe XYZ", "do you accept that...", etc).
    I have too much at stake. However, I need to know if refusing to answer questions is going to put me in the same boat as if I answer the questions in a "bad" way.

From what I have read regarding other people on this board who have received this "inactive" visit, I think it all depends on your current situation. If you haven't been to the meetings in forever, the elders may ask you pointed questions about your belief in the org. In my case, my wife is very active and I tag along semi-frequently with her to the meetings. I know most of the people in the hall by their first names, if that tells you anything. I do not make waves nor do I show a "bad attitude." Quite the opposite really. I get along with ALL of the elders and even get invited to their homes for private get-togethers. Yet here I am extremely inactive, no responsibilities in the hall whatsoever, and not one person in the hall has ever asked me to go out in service, not one.

I had thought of something today that made me wonder. Our current circuit overseer is an old family friend that I have known since I was a little kid(he taught me how to play a LOT of board games). He knows my family background well and probably understands some of the issues that I had to deal with growing up. I now wonder if he is having the elders give me a 'pass' and to have them go easy on me. I guess the only way to find out is to ask him point blank. He lives in town at one of the kingdom hall apartments. Hmmm, would it be a good idea to go talk with him? Maybe not. I should probably keep my periscope under the water.

• Bugs Bunny
    Bugs Bunny

Jourles,

Hi, just read your post. My husband is a JW and I know how they work from him. When they are "in service" that is the only time show up to visit him. I make that point to him everytime they show up. For just an example: The last guy that showed up, is the guy that shows up right before someone quits their congregation. I couldn't help but give him a big smile when I asked him, "So...out in service today?" He immediately replied 'yes'. I turned to my husband and said, "Isn't that nice?"

If you want a bible study that you are allowed to ask any question you like, and get answers without persecution or fear, just email me.

• AlanB
    AlanB

I feel quite left out...... when am I going to get my 'shepherding call' !!! why should everyone else have all the fun....?

I left around 10 years ago and went to another town in excile.. About a year later I was called on in the door to door work and took the magazines out of curiosity, I must have become a route call as they called quite reguarly. Then when I moved house I informed the gas, electric and phone company yet forgot to inform the witnesses (Ooops). I have not seen them since.

• obiwan
    obiwan

I had a simular experiance with a sheperding call even though I'm df'd. Two sisters came to my door with the mags and I said no I'm df'd and not interested, about two weeks later two elders came by and asked if we could talk and get some information. I said no, I have nothing to talk about, there is no information that you need from me. The elders replied " well i don't think that will be good enough we'll have to get back with you" and I said "I could give two shits what you find out, if you come back I will tell you to leave and I will not be very nice about it like I am now, any of my personal life is just that personal and personally, I think the whole org can fall off the face of the earth! Oh, and do yourself and the other elders a favor, make sure none of you abuse children cause your day in court and with god is coming.....have a good! And then I shut the door and watch the bewildered look on thier faces as they get into thier car.

• shamus
    shamus
    well i don't think that will be good enough we'll have to get back with you"

Holy crap. If they pulled that shit with me, I would have kicked them right in the ass. What a load of crap. We "need more information".

I would have gotten my pellet gun out and shot them in the bum! (just kidding, of course! ) What a couple of nincompoops!

• donnye
    donnye

I know I am years late on this post, but after 2 and a half years of not going to congregation meetings, I got a phone call the other day, from an elder. He said he hadn't seen me out and about lately (I thought What? and you have only just noticed after 2 and a half years?). Then he asked "can we come round and give you some encouragement?" I replied no thankyou. There was a pregnant pause and then he said ok then but I will ring you again in the future. I thanked him soooooo much for his thoughtfulness. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit