Pagan Origins

by Illuminated 22 Replies latest social current

• Illuminated
    Illuminated
    I am not saying they are wrong for using money, I am saying they are being ridiculous for making any of these things an issue, and hypocritical for pretending they are being so pure, when the ignore the origins of a practice when it suits them.

Yes, thanks for placing the words I intended to. It's insane to disfellowship and harm people with standards they consider Pagan, yet beg for money with outright occult symbolism and use "Jehovah's" name in it.

It's incredibly sad how the members don't bat an eye to such hypocrisy.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Go far enough back in history, and pretty much everything has pagan origins.

Probably why the WTS doesn't seem to hate on paganish stuff nearly as much as it used to.

• steve2
    steve2

PICKING & CHOOSING

During his early days of being President of the Watchtower Society, Rutherford instilled in his followers an acute sensitivity to anything that smacked of either "paganism" or "Christendom's churches".

At that time, some of the secondary honchos in the organization seriously suggested that, because the days of the week and months of the year were named after false (Roman?) gods, true believers should adopt non-pagan names for the days and months. While Rutherford squashed this eccentric suggestion as too extreme, it showed the knee-jerk mentality that he himself had unleashed.

Subsequently, JWs have prided themselves on being pagan "free". What simpletons!

By sharp contrast, skip forward several decades and note that the modern-day organization is capable of expedient reasoning when it suits.

For example, in defending the right of Chilean brothers to display the secular flag at kingdom halls on government-designated days rather than pay a fine, the organization says that individual congregations can follow their consciences. Why? It reasons that putting a flag on public display does not mean you are treating it as an object of devotion and submission. So they have selectively stepped aside from their own reasoning on this issue. It is a slither away from saying Why was standing in the presence of the flag ever made an issue in the first place? Isn't it simply a respectful gesture - but what it "means" at heart will differ from individual to individual. And what about the organization's concern about appearances? You might be okay about displaying the flag but what about how it looks to others?

This would be no big deal at all were JWs not so precious about being different from the churches of Christendom and being 'no part of the world'.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It seems difficult to explain why the WTS allows some pagan things (wedding rings, names of days of the week) but not others (confetti, Christmas,). The WTS, like other religions, is not firmly wedded to rational thinking.

I agree pretty much with steve2's post.

I think it's primarily about control. Plus JWs can look at themselves and boast that they're true Christians (unlike Catholics) and 'no part of the world', untainted by paganism.

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

Ironically, their approach of not celebrating holidays, joining the military, etc, etc. isn't anything new. There are many groups, cultures and your regular every day person who doesn't care to do these things.

From an outsiders perspective who's aware of the cult inside out, they are actually very "worldly". To call yourself spiritual, and consider yourself a chosen one, yet have the foundation of your spirituality set up like the corporate world, I don't see how you could get any more "worldly".

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions
    like obulette would say: lets review, it's a cult
  • Dunedain
    Dunedain

Besides it being another way for them to use something for control, and create the illusion of "us and them", it also probably has financial reasons to "paganize" holidays specifically. If the members of your org are not spending countless dollars on Christmas, Birthdays, Halloween, and all the yearly holdidays with their commercial value, then this money can be given to the borg.

Its quite brilliant, if ya think about it. Tell the sheeple, " do not celebrate, and dont give your money over to paganism, but hand it over to US". Forget about using it to give your children a happy childhood. No, the children dont need that, the WTS needs your money, instead. So, in answer to the OP's question, the reason they pick and choose, is probably BECAUSE of the very money itself.

The most hypocrytical aspect of the WTS, and paganism, is also the very fact that the WTS's roots themselves ARE pagan. We see the watchtower symbol as their main symbol, yet, as brought up earlier, that symbol itself has tremendous pagan origins. The massonic symbols, that were plastered all over the original literature, are all pagan in origin. From the cross and crown, to the watchtower itself, all pagan.

Its again, just another example of them picking and choosing based on convenience and neccessity.

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

A lot of great points.

Dunedain, something came to mind when reading your comment. Holidays are a time for everyone to get together and celebrate life, family and friends. If you take away holidays, JW's are left with occasions such as the conventions to look forward to, further grouping them up into the cult and linking them to one another. The conventions are their holiday.

I see the picking and choosing taking place. If it benefits the leaders/who ever's behind them and their agenda, then they make excuses. If it doesn't benefit them, there is no allowance. The bottom members are disfellowshipped and destroyed.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is if the leaders truly believe, why are they begging for such "worldly" things in order to expand "God's will"? I'm just your regular person with more of an agnostic viewpoint. However, if I am passionately against something and classify it as part of an evil association, there's no way I'd want any ties to it in any form.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What I'm having a hard time understanding is if the leaders truly believe, why are they begging for such "worldly" things in order to expand "God's will"?

Right now they are falsifying their wealth/assets because they want the flock to think they are poor and cant afford to build new branches. The fact is the WTS has never been richer, with just in recent years selling off many branches around the world including a majority of its property holdings in Brooklyn New York to a tune of billion US.

Add that to the financial holdings in invest funds and accrued interest, the WTS. the GB leaders are pulling the wool over the flocks eyes.

For example both the Canadian and UK branch posted funds of over 60 to 70 million each by government run discloser regulations for non-profit charitable organizations.

• stuckinarut2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit