Proud Parent - My son just got accepted to the University of Maryland!

by GrreatTeacher 15 Replies latest social family

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Congratulations to both you as guiding parents and your son being accepted at the University.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I went to University and was told I would never use what I learned because Armageddon would be here by then. Well, 1975 came and went as did 2000 and I'm still here. I never regret the sacrifices and hard graft, been retired over 20 years, we're not millionaires but get by very well without relying on benefits as so many in our congregation do.

Keep his nose to the wheel, education is the best investment ever.

George

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Congratulations!

incredibly uplifting to hear! I love learning that others are embracing higher education. There is more than just careers and security at stake, but critical thinking and data analysis, skills that can help you avoid the pitfalls of misinformation, cults and internet 'experts'.

Ignore the negative comments from people who have never completed higher education, the fact they choose to attempt to tarnish your joy by commenting on something they have never themselves experienced says much about them as a person.

If he works hard, gets through the degree and chooses topics that either guarantee a career or for which he is deeply passionate, it can only be a good experience for him.

I am incredibly happy for you both!

I went from being a window cleaning, ex bethelite, to a university lecturer and hospital emergency physician thanks to hard work and education. The family members who have pursued education alongside me have had very rewarding careers also.

I owe my lovely new secure life to higher education and promote it at every opportunity!

All the best,

Snare

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Update: My son did get that $9,000 annual scholarship for two years! That's basically full tuition, though we have to come up with room and board.

He has to maintain a 3.2 GPA and take 30 credits per year, but that's it. He should be able to do that!

That takes a huge financial burden off of us.

Again, beyond proud! There was an essay involved and then an interview process.

School has never been easy peasy for him. He has to work at it. So, getting a merit scholarship is huge.

Just thought I'd share for those who are interested.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just saw this thread.

Congratulations, GrreatTeacher!

What degree is he studying?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

He is studying engineering, though he's still not sure which type. He'll probably take a few classes of different types to see which one he prefers.

He's most interested in civil engineering or possibly mechanical, but also is looking into electrical engineering because it's lucrative.

They also have aerospace, but that's not a forerunner.

He took the high school engineering track so has some experience with the field.

University of Maryland is a school where internships are pushed so he can hopefully get some real world experience to help him decide.

In general, it's a school where students are eager to get internships, credentials and employment directly upon graduation. It's not so much a "let's have a great fun university experience so we can look back on it fondly for years to come" type school. It's a serious research institution and the students are driven.

They also have great government and defense industry contacts since it's located right by Washington DC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit