In which month did Jesus die?

by Doug Mason 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I am putting this out as an idea, as something to think about.

This assumes that the death and claimed resurrection of Jesus has soteriological significance. I am not seeking comments on the veracity of that position, nor with endeavouring to identify any Model that provides an "explanation".

I am simply asking, Did Jesus die in Nisan (March/April = "Easter") or would it have had proper soteriological significance if the events took place in Tishri (September/October)?

Is it possible - and I doubt there is any way of knowing - that the early Christians found it useful to incorporate existing Pagan "Spring" festivals, as this enabled them to differentiate themselves from the Jews' heavy focus on Tishri?

Yom Kipur/Day of Atonement, celebrated in Tishri, would seem to better represent the claimed soteriological significance of Jesus' death than a Passover lamb, which served only to mark those who were about to endure pursuit by Egypt, privations in the wilderness, and ongoing persecutions by powerful neighbours.

Doug

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Wouldn`t early October have better fitted in with J.W.Dogma ?

Just asking ?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I will go there no matter what you do or do not want in this question.
    The Bible is vague about the alleged birth of this guy. But it's pretty clear about the time of death being Nisan 14.

I could argue all day about the whole thing being a myth, but if you want to suppose it is not, why would you want to doubt the book that you use to support your thought that he was not a myth?

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

In my honest opinion, the jesus story may have been 25% true and the rest is all myth.

And if he had really existed and died, that may have been pretty much around Good Friday season or to be precise Nisan 14

• doubtfull1799
    doubtfull1799

I think its a 50/50 that he even existed and if he did I think its impossible to know anything true about his life. I definitely wouldn't put it past the early Christians to try and place his death in the spring to align with and make it more palatable to Pagan ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit