Real Estate / Legal Question re: KH Sales / Title Transfers

by RubaDub 7 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Sorry about being a bit lazy and not researching this myself but when there is a real estate sale, as far as I know, this is public information and on record ( at least in most areas I am aware of).

A KH sale would be a public record.

But when a real title is transferred, isn't this public information also?

I ask this question because there seems to be some questions here that the publishers did not know the title of their KH had been transferred to the Big Borg.

Any thoughts on this.

Rub a Dub

• SadElder
    SadElder

In Florida some time ago Crooklyn had all congregations add certain language to their Articles of Incorporation / Bylaws which in essence said that in the event the congregation was disbanded that title was transferred to Watchtower. This was an easy thing to do without the knowledge of the rank and file as a local annual corporation meeting was generally not attended by the rank and file publisher. The exact language escapes me but I recall being irritated then at the heavy handedness. The CO was to check on his next visit that the changes had been made.

I would expect that most publishers are unaware of the way title is held to the congregation real estate in their particular state.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Consult your county's online tax records (in the US).

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Well the congregation still owns the one my MIL goes to , so far. It's in a bad area of town ( High Crime)

Her previous congregation for 30+ years was first drained of the money saved for a new hall, the property donated was taken ( likely sold by now) and her congregation was eventually merged into the new one.

This is the listing for the previous congregation (that sold the Hall to an artist who is now moving) . https://www.movoto.com/home/1777-white-oak-rd-chattanooga-tn-37415-575_1298544

Interestingly, the one she went to for a little while, her sisters congregation, are also still listed as the owners of the property. Hmm... They are getting a new hall built currently, though. It will be interesting to see how that property is listed.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Yes, the title is transferred, it is recorded and public information, however in most smaller areas, this means a trip to the county office and perhaps even some money for a search and copy. In some cities it may be readily available but a title transfer is typically county level so not necessarily digitized.

In my area it is digitized, and I looked for it. It was 'transferred' in 2012 through a "correction of the deed" (the congregation has been there at least since the late 1980's so no reason to be transferring anything) to "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses" (which is a WTBTS registered entity) but it doesn't list the correct congregation name anymore, only the congregation's area - the description refers to jw.org for further information.

However the title transfer was explicitly not done electronically and that kept all the information except for the actual transfer out of the system even though you can do these things entirely electronically these days.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

TO-36-E-9-2005

Information Regarding Ownership of Kingdom Halls

Atlantis!
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Many thanks to all and great find Atlantis!

Rub a Dub

• rickroll
    rickroll

All Deeds recorded in the USA are of public record. All you have to do is call or go on to a county site and look up the address and or owners name. As far as a dubber knowing I am sure it does not matter. They would drink kool aid with cyanide if told to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit