Can baptism be considered a legal verbal agreement?

by StarTrekAngel 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Based on the requirements set forth and the questions answered at the end. I believe this question has been asked before. The fact that you can only be expelled after having been put under this oath of allegiance and that you have witnesses to you making this agreement ( I remember my name was shout to the crowd when I entered the pool ).

If it can be considered so, would there be a legal ground to say minors can not enter this agreement?

• nmthinker
    nmthinker
    Legality has nothing to do with it. WTBS makes the rules and decides who gets to play and how.
  • Island Man
    Island Man

I believe there are some legal trappings involved - not in the actual baptism, but in having the candidates answer "yes" to the questions before an audience of witnesses.

I especially believe the question that says:

"do you understand that your baptism identifies you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit directed organization"

... is for purely legal purposes. It serves to establish that the person agreed to the term that membership in the religion is tied to association with the organization. That way it is difficult to sue the organization if a person is involuntarily disassociated or disfellowshipped for disavowing the organization.

• Crabby
    Crabby

Yes, just as long as God signs the certificate

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Legality has nothing to do with it. WTBS makes the rules and decides who gets to play and how.

At least in the US, the Courts are not about to get caught up in the middle of a religious dispute that only affects those who are in the religion. Especially a religion that involves only 1 million NON-voters.

Doc

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    At least in the US, the Courts are not about to get caught up in the middle of a religious dispute that only affects those who are in the religion. Especially a religion that involves only 1 million NON-voters.
    Doc

True... but it helps to be aware of what weight, if so only personal, your agreement could have. Under a more fair world this would have greater significance.

• TD
    TD

This is not an area without case precedent and the JW parent organization has carefully crafted their policy with past cases in mind. Legality therefore has everything to do with it.

Minors are not able to enter into binding agreements in the legal sense, but as JW attorneys are fond of pointing out, your conduct after you attain the age of majority (i.e. Continuing to act as a JW) validates the agreement in the legal sense. Any possible claim that you didn't truly understand what you were doing evaporates into thin air at that point.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

And so I thought that would be the case. Sure you they can say the eventually the minor becomes an adult and continues to uphold the agreement. But is there a precedence to, for example, signing a mortgage when you are 7 years old and only become legally bound to it at adulthood, provided that while your parents continue to make payments on your behalf you pick up on it and uphold the agreement as soon as you become 18?

Don't think so... so idealistically speaking, there should be a way to say a minor can not be baptized.

• Wayward
    Wayward

You can't make any kind of legally binding contract, verbal or otherwise, with an someone who is underage. The underage person has the right to repudiate that contract upon reaching legal adulthood.

• TD
    TD
    But is there a precedence to, for example, signing a mortgage when you are 7 years old and only become legally bound to it at adulthood, provided that while your parents continue to make payments on your behalf you pick up on it and uphold the agreement as soon as you become 18?

No and there really isn't much of a comparison between legally enforceable contracts and at-will relationships where your only possible legal complaint would hinge upon damages inflicted upon you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit