What are the stages of walking away?

by logansrun 28 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

Well, it's been a good ten months since I walked away from the JWs and it's been quite a journey. I notice that the initial fears, self-doubt and rage are no longer with me. When I first left I could hardly look at a WT or Awake magazine without getting wave after wave of anxiety and frustration. I would analyze over and over my decision to leave (although I never thought about going back, ever) and was in a deep depression. Countless emails and phone calls to support groups etc.

Over time all this eased up considerably. Now, I don't really have any guilt feelings about leaving the Society. When a JW snubs me on the street (yes, it's happened a couple of times) I don't wonder to myself if they might be right, I just think how incredibly ridiculous the whole religion is (it's amazing, actually). I can look at and even read through WT and Awake articles without a twinge of my former thinking patterns.

Better still, I feel that I am starting to rebuild aspects of my life -- moving beyond just tearing my old beliefs down. I'm back in college, slowly making friends, and am cultivating my own "spirituality" (a mixture of existential philosophy, Taoism and evolutionary psychology). I can think of the JWs with a balanced eye -- critical about many things, love for the people in it, and humor at much of it (yes, all of the Awake!).

Still, there are peculiar feelings that crop up every now and then. I know I am very well along in my recovery, but I am curious how others view their "recovery time" after the JWs. Do you think there are different stages in exiting and making it in the real world? What stage are you in? How long did it take? (sometimes I'm surprised at the rapidity of my recovery -- sometimes that scares me a little).

Have a great weekend everybody

Bradley

• ballistic
    ballistic

Your recovery and subsequent thoughts seem very similar to mine except I never had the net and took several years to "decide" it was not the truth and there was no going back.

• JH
    JH

No one is the same, but in general, it takes lots of time to get over it.

It's like if you break up with your girl friend. Some will forget her right away, the moment they meet someone else, and others will remember her for years.

You seem to be coming on fine with your life. Keep on going to college, and build your future. With the Jehovah witnesses, you aren't able to advance in life. They are waiting and waiting and waiting, losing their lives in the process.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

wow, thats pretty far along for 10 months, in my opinion. i had nightmares for years after leaving. perhaps its the proactive steps youve taken, ie. college and developing your own beliefs.

jackie

• Xena
    Xena

I have been out gosh about 3 years now I guess...lol time flies when you are having fun It took me some time to feel comfortable with my decision...and the consequences of it. I no longer spend much time mourning my family members that shun me...I enjoy the newfound independance being my own person has made me...and am still working on my stunted social skills.

Funny I found when I first left the dubs I grasped at life with greedy hands, trying to make up for all that lost time. I tend to savor it a bit more nowdays...enjoying it to the fullest, but no longer feeling the need to experience everything RIGHT NOW!

lol JD it's nice not to have to wait for the "new system" to achieve the things you want to...and experience life, huh?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Congratulations; i still have one foot in the org, having immediate family there. I have been mentally done with it for at least 5 years, though I did not even realize it. It had no power for me, and my real beliefs were coming out even as I sat in meetings. I read Acts 15 and realized that the prohibition on blood was a dietary thing, and a mistake at that, an allowance made to the jewish converts. I stopped believing in df'ing when i saw so many people df'd who had been baptized while children; I could go on and on, you get the idea.

The sex abuse scandal got me looking on the net, and that was that. I feel sadness over the loss of a sense of close community, i guess, and it was so easy to not worry about anything going on in the world.

Nothing is as sweet, though, as the freedom of mind I now enjoy!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Everything takes time, your on a cruise, enjoy it. Enjoy your freedom and just keep building on what your heart leads you to do.

Guest 77

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I like the breaking up with the girlfriend analogy. Sometimes, looking back, it seems better than it really was, and nostalgia is an evil trap.

But on the whole, my girlfriends never treated me as badly as the WT, and at least I got a little nookie from my girlfriends. Although I guess if the rumors about Ted are true...

CZAR

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi LR

As far as I've gone with it at this point, I'd have to agree with what many in this forum have said: in general, it depends on how long you were "in." One year out for every 5 years in, something like that.

For what formulas are worth.

I like the way J6 says it:

Everything takes time, your on a cruise, enjoy it. Enjoy your freedom and just keep building on what your heart leads you to do.
    Craig
  • Scooby
    Scooby

Maybe you can remember your first few months and how far you have come. I'm in month two and I feel like throwing up daily. Thanks for the hope. Glad you are growing!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit