2015 Yearbook page 89

by lenaga 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lenaga
    lenaga

I have read the Yearbook (I know, I'm a pervert).

On page 89, there is a photograph.
    The caption: "Brothers Knorr and Franz ..."
    Which Franz?

Fred Franz was 71 years old in 1963. Ray Franz was 41 years old.

There is also president of Knorr. He looks older (he was 58).

It really is Ray's photograph?

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    The paragraph says they Nathan knorr and fred franz visited the D.R so it must be Freddy.  
  • Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

I doubt Ray would make it any publications these days...

From Page 88:

"In March 1946, Nathan Knorr and Frederick Franz
    from world headquarters visited the Dominican Re-
    public."

• lenaga
    lenaga

The photograph was made in 1963.

Ray was between 1961-1965 in Dominician Republic, as overseer (maybe Branch Overseer).

This man (in the photo) doesn't seem 70 years old. Am I wrong?

• steve2
    steve2
    Ray has suffered the fate of many who question mankind's use of "Divine" authority: He has been eradicated from "official" accounts of the organization's history. No way would that photo - or any photo - in the organization's publications feature him.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

The 2015 yearbook (yb) neglects to add what the 1972 yb shows clearly. Raymond Franz went personally to appear before Dictator Trujillo to petition a lifting of the ban on JW's in the Dominican Republic. The 2015 says only that a formal, notarized letter was "delivered" to Trujillo. It makes no mention of Ray F., nor does it say who the letter was actually from... Knorr, not a "governing body". Raymond Franz's visit was the key in getting the ban lifted for a while. 

Here's the story from the 1972 yb.

Raymond Franz, a missionary in Puerto Rico, was now asked to deliver a petition personally to Dictator Trujillo, asking for the removal of the ban. Making contact with the brothers, he was advised that the best way to get in to see Trujillo was to send a telegram requesting an interview. “Respectfully request privilege of brief interview with Your Excellency. An American educator on 7,000-mile tour. Have information of great importance for you and your country.” This was the text of the telegram sent and here is Brother Franz’ account of what happened:
    “The following day a telephone message at the hotel advised me to be at the National Palace at eight o’clock the next morning. That morning I went to the Palace gates and, after having to wait while the band played the National Anthem, with all the government personnel standing on the Palace’s many balconies, I was allowed to go past the sentry box at the gate, up the many broad steps into the Palace.
    “After being placed in different sitting rooms by myself over a period of nearly an hour, and then being conversed with briefly by a Dominican general, I was led down a hallway, through a room where four officers stood, then motioned to pass through a fairly narrow passageway opening into a large room. Only on reaching the large room did I see the dictator standing to one side by a large desk. I had hardly expected to reach him so easily.
    “After exchanging greetings and making a few favorable comments on the country, I explained in Spanish my mission: to represent an international organization as its emissary to present him a petition. First giving him a letter of introduction, I then handed over the petition. Trujillo had said nothing after the initial greeting, giving the impression of being nervous due to not knowing what to expect. He began reading the petition but soon stopped and simply looked at me. I then told him that it was the wish of our Society to convey to him our regret that ours should be the only religious organization to come under ban in his land and that Jehovah’s witnesses were known world wide as peaceful, respectful, hardworking citizens. This was the first time the name ‘Jehovah’s witnesses’ had been used and evidently he had not seen the name as yet on the petition. He now ‘exploded,’ saying that the Witnesses refused military service, nor would they salute the national emblem. I pointed out that the petition explained why, and that no political motives were involved, solely matters of religion and conscience. After a few more brief exchanges, he stood up, indicating that the interview was closed. To my surprise he extended his hand. I shook it, assured him of my willingness to answer any questions he might have after reading the petition, and left.”

• oppostate
    oppostate

In time, Raymond Franz was assigned as branch servant to the Dominican Republic, he served there during the time of tanks in the streets and bullets pinging off buildings in the capital city. After Bro. R. Franz left the Dominican Republic to go to NY a brother and sister, Gilead couple, Vincent and Judy Irizarry were assigned there and continued the Branch work in the midst of a lot of turmoil. This couple who now lives in North Central Massachussetts isn't even mentioned in the yearbooks, yet it was people like them who continued steadfast in their assignments when the military situation got nasty. They can tell about how it really was in the Dominican Republic of those days.

But the 2015 mentions WT President Knorr and Freddy Franz visiting and giving talks (when it was safe), as if this was the reason for the increase. The WT HQ wasn't responsible for any increase, it was those who put their necks out during the time of military turmoil, and went through the hardship of those uncertain days that were brave enough to stay where they were assigned to preach. 

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

@ oppostate  Thank you!  I love hearing the un-whitewashed story.  What a rich Apostate heritage we enjoy!  

• steve2
    steve2
    God's loving organization has ways of making your history disappear should you ever leave. Let us be thankful that the organization no longer directly and personally vilifies by name ex-members, as happened in Rutherford's day - until Rutherford himself was successfully sued by one ex-member he had vilified, Olin Moyle.
  • babystar_jr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit