Paul did not belittle women

by Doug Mason 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I note the recent post that quoted 1 Timothy 2:11-12 and Colossians 1:23 which place women at a level that is lower to men. The poster accused Paul of this mysoginy, but that is not correct.

1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Colossians, Ephesians and Hebrews were written after Paul's death.

Paul was not a mysoginist; he made full use of women in leadership roles. He wrote that in God's sight there is neither male nor female, for all are one in God's sight.

Doug

• iwasblind
    iwasblind

Doug

Who wrote those book then? I have not researched it but would love any source material.

• NotNew
    NotNew

Point taken! Seems those posters are or appear to be misandrist...always putting men in a bad light. If ur a male don't dare say anything negative about a female or you will be labeled as a hater of all women!

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Already before the Apostel Paul a guy named Jesus did not change the social order, Paul and Jesus were brave Jews. No special policy against slavery and none against male dominance. The social world order was not subject of them.

Christian-dom was more about bearing up the burdens and evils of the world and evil conditions than about changing it.

Christian believe that change will come by ITSELF over the time through enduring the evil by humble and meek submissiveness of true followers who believe in peace.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

At least you acknowledge that somebody in the Christian establishment wrote those pathetic verses. It's the Bible that's misogynist. The John Doe who writes these verses reflects the general attitude that his comrades had.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Certainly there were and are mysoginists in religion. I am pointing out that Paul must not be blamed for something he was not responsible for.

These writings I listed were written decades after Paul's death. He died in 64 CE and these were written about 20 to 30 years later, when the movement started to address formal issues.

I would also be cautious about claiming definitely what Jesus actually did say and did not say. Again this is a subject mired in controversy. The earliest Gospel -- Mark -- was written a few years after Paul's death, Matthew another decade later along with John, while the present form of Luke is from the early 2nd century.

This means that not one of the Gospel writers either saw or heard Jesus. They worked from Tradition and the memory of others - and influenced by Paul. I take the position that each Gospel represents what that particular community believed.

All of these words, including Paul's, are the opinions of each separate group that claimed allegiance to Jesus (and I include the Gospel of Thomas among them).

Late in the 2nd century they started to use the term "Christian".

I am asked who wrote those pseudo-Paul writings. I do not know. Neither do I know who wrote 2 Peter, which was written about 100 years after his death. I wonder if we know anything about what Peter thought and taught. (Acts is recognised as being a religious novel, written for contemporary religio-political purposes.)

Doug

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Was 1 Cor 11:3 written by Paul?

• waton
    waton

was 1Cor. 14: 33-38 written by "Paul" ?

• never a jw
    never a jw

Cor 14:34-35 is likely an insertion to a much later copy of the original letter of Paul. Those two verses seem to break the flow of the text around them.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

If God inspired the Bible, why didn't he prevent confusion as to exactly what the message is. Why would he allow passages or books to be included that don't belong?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit