No shame in being apostate

by venus 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• venus
    venus

The one who is standing away is apostate (literally "to stand off," from apo- "away from" + stenai "to stand"). Ironically, proponents of untruth may call truth-seekers as apostates, thus making the term meaningless.

For example, Paul, the greatest of all apostles, taught untruth (stood away from truth) [see his main teaching in Romans 5:12-21] even though he had known the following truths:

1) All humans did not become sinners through one man (Genesis 5:24; Job 1:8; Psalm 18:23; Ezekiel 14:14 and compare Habakkuk 2:4), hence there was no need for anyone to pay ransom.

2) In the Old Testament, the Messiah refers to a “prince of peace” who literally rules from Jerusalem, not merely anointed to the office to do the work in some distant future and get killed before that future occurs. (Isaiah 9:6-7)

3) If ransom teaching was the main theme, Jesus would have used all his skills to explain it. In contrast, he believed he would never be killed (Mathew 21:33-39) which means Mathew 20:28 is obviously a later adoption which Luke deleted from his work (Luke 22:25-27) after comparing with original manuscripts (Luke 1:3)

In spite of all these, Paul chose to teach untruth (apostasy). If Bible’s main teaching itself is apostasy, how can Bible-supporters’ calling us apostates have any meaning?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We can have differing views on the application of Christianity. ... I would agree that Paul was an apostate to the Jewish , Judian faith as are all dubs who " come out of false religion " .. one man's apostate is another man's truth seeker .

Certainly there is nothing wrong with being an apostate. It shows a thinking mind . I am proud to be "apostate " to the WTS....

• venus
    venus

BluesBrother,

Interestingly, people blindly accept what Paul wrote, and remember some famous OT verses as support. Interestingly, the so-called messianic verses actually do not speak about Messiah. For example,

1) Psalm 22. It’s all about a person who describes himself as “I am a worm and not a man,” who knew God only from this birth “from my mother’s womb you have been my God” (Ps 22: 6, 10).

2) Similarly, Isaiah 53 is all about a man who “had no form, majesty or beauty” (Isaiah 53:2) which can never fit the description of one chosen by God Almighty, about whom people thought was “smitten by God.” (Isaiah 53:4). “They made his grave with the wicked and with a rich man in his death” (Isaiah 53:9) [Jesus was crucified along with two criminals, not with a “rich man”]

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I just call myself "me". Whoever doesn't like what/how I think can kiss my ass. It's that simple.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There's so many problems with the Bible it's just plain crazy! There's evidence in the earliest writings like the book of John that Jesus didn't die . For example the piercing of his side was added from Mathews wasn't there in earlier texts.

Older bibles also do have jesus ascending to heaven in the gospels making the book of acts very suspect. Earlier Old Testament writting pointing to a messiah were of a conquere not a man to be slaughtered. Most of Mathews quotes about Jesus fulfilling an Old Testament prophecies are wrong either they were not a prophecy or they were a prophecy about the nation of Israel not a messiah.

• steve2
    steve2

Each new group or individual who stands away from religious teachings they at one time believed and followed is "guilty" of apostasy.

Over time, the word "apostate" was primarily applied to groups or individuals who not only questioned their religion's teachings but also the authority of their religious leaders.

Charles Taze Russell "stood away from" the Methodist religion of his upbringing and openly criticized its teachings and leadership; therefore, he too was guilty of apostasy.

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

Anybody who walks away from this organization after everything that is now public knowledge is alright in my book.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I don't need any bible verses to determine if name-calling is wrong. When you call any person a name, that isn't their own, and use it to insult, demean, or humiliate them... it is wrong.

But if you do need a bible verse, I would go with that one about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Either way, name-calling is wrong. And the people doing the name-calling are in the wrong. And... their opinions of me aren't any of my business.

• waton
    waton

today's apostasy is tomorrow's truth. long live apostates and apostasy. aka advancement.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Being an apostate to false prophets is an honor and even Christian if you read the bible carefully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit