Strong female characters in film before the 'Woke Era'

by LoveUniHateExams 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Since about 2015, Hollywood has congratulated itself and circle-jerked over the 'strong women' characters they've written. I'd say this roughly began with Rey in The Force Awakens (2015). What Hollywood forgets is that strong characters have to have a personality, otherwise audiences don't really relate to them.

Well, Hollywood should really stop patting themselves on the back as if they've done something special.

Strong female characters have been a staple for decades.

Here's one: Private Vasquez, from Aliens (1986). She isn't stunning and brave like today's feminists, and she's too busy working as a space marine to smash the patriarchy, but from pretty much the first time we see her, we can see that she is one strong woman who gives as good as she gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb8bqidtzzo

There are, of course, many more strong female characters in film but I thought Vasquez is a pretty good place to start.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Lady Macbeth...... circa 1600 a. d.

• TD
    TD

Jackie Brown and Clarice Starling

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Gina Carano

She was fired from Disney because she spoke against the Woke - Cancel Culture.

And she's for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oY0Ormzk7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z90vbrS8UI

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Jackie Brown - yes!!!

God, I love that film.

Jackie Brown. 1997. Directed by Quentin Tarantino | MoMA

• NotNew
    NotNew

?? no such thing...Never participated in as you said - "circle-jerked" please expound on your misandry.

Geena Davis in The long Kiss Goodnight she put these want-ta-b's in their place...and she looks like a female

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

"circle-jerked" please expound on your misandry - it's not misandry, it's a comment on the woke agenda Hollywood has adopted for these past 5 or 6 years.

Anyhoo, here's another great female character before Hollywood went full retard on the social activist crap …

Sarah Connor is back in new 'Terminator' reboot photo

Yes, it's Sarah Connor. She was good in the first Terminator film, then James Cameron really upped it in T2 and made Connor a badass.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Princess Leia Organa - Leader of the Rebel Alliance.

• TD
    TD

Doesn't that honor go to Mon Mothma? (I'm not up on Star Wars, so apologies if I've got that wrong...)

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Here's one: Private Vasquez, from Aliens (1986). She isn't stunning and brave like today's feminists

I remember that movie. She was a badass. Got curious about this. Went to look her up. Turns out that private Vasquez wasn't even hispanic. Jewish, I think, which of course means that today she would not have gotten that job under the guise of culture appropriation infringements.

Here she is today

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit