Majority Rule

by Big Jim 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Next to inflation, majority rule is the most ingenious scheme ever contrived by government. Most people have never dared to question the basic morality or logic in the assumption that the majority should have power over the minority. A majority of the people in the South once believed in black slavery. Did that make it moral? A lynch mob is majority rule stripped of its fancy trappings and its facade of respectability. In a community where homosexuals outnumber heterosexuals, should the majority have the right to outlaw sex between married partners of the opposite sex? In a community where atheists outnumber non- atheists, should the majority have the right to outlaw the practice of religion? ... a dictatorship allows only a small number of people to interfere with the rights of others, a democracy makes it possible for great numbers of people to impose their will on others -- through the force of government. Is an act of aggression more right if carried out by the majority than by a dictator? Since approximately half the eligible voters vote this means that approximately 75% of the people are ruled by 25% of the people.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Not sure what this topic has to do with anything JW, but what the heck, it's a free board. Dictatorship of the majority? Is that what you fear?

YERUSALYIM
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Shakespere: Hamlet

• mommy
    mommy

Hey Big Jim!
    I personally feel it is ok for majority to rule.There are so many places to live in this world, I would much rather live in a place with like minded people than not. I want to live in a community where people are free to speak up for what they feel is right. I agree about the voting though. Too many people give up this gift that we have to state our opinions, and decide who will be making the laws. If all did vote it would be a closer call at times I think.
    I feel that at least we have a choice, to vote. If I lived in a dictatorship, and we had no choice, I would feel ruled. I know basically it is the same thing, laws being made, but I feel I have a part in making the laws.
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit