I Think There Should Be Laws Against Political Discrimination

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think it’s terrible and simply wrong not to serve a person in a restaurant simply because you disagree with their political views. I think that when a Uber driver dumps a car load of people simply because they speak amongst themselves about politics that the driver doesn’t agree with—-it’s discrimination! This type of discrimination will cost people their lives someday!

• Simon
    Simon

It's easy to demand but harder to come up with workable legislation.

These are usually isolated incidents blown up by the media who like conflict. It doesn't mean new laws are necessary and typically the attention they get result in changes.

• minimus
    minimus

, there are laws against all sorts of discrimination. I don’t think it’s blown up by the media. The liberal media doesn’t come out against this type of behavior. I don’t think anyone has the right to refuse service because of any political view.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I agree about this sort of thing being relatively isolated and then blown up by media to stir the pot which in turn triggers other incidents in sympathy or retaliation which of course they highlight that too, it gives the impression it's happeneing more frequently than it actually is although the media seem to want to induce outrage- it's good for ratings. Also some people just want their 15minutes of fame.

• Simon
    Simon
    there are laws against all sorts of discrimination

... which aren't misused ever, right?

I don’t think anyone has the right to refuse service because of any political view.

Define "service", "because", and "political view" in a way that is clear and unambiguous.

• minimus
    minimus

Some discrimination laws are misused as many laws are . So?

Example: I want to go with my family to a restaurant and I am denied service because I work and support Trump who happens to be a politician.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

For someone who leans toward conservative, minimus, I am surprised you are advocating for more laws.

The laws against racial, sexual, and gender discrimination is already on the books and we seem to have a hard time as Americans enforcing THAT law. I can't imagine trying to enforce a discrimination law against what people THINK. (meaning their political views). It seems it would be very hard to prove someone's thoughts and that you were discriminated against because of them.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Example: I want to go with my family to a restaurant and I am denied service because I work and support Trump who happens to be a politician.

Vote with your dollars. Go to a different restaurant. If everyone would do that, the businesses that discriminate would quickly disappear.

• Simon
    Simon

Complain to the manager who will no doubt fire the individual who's costing them money OR, if it's the owner's behind it then never go to that restaurant again and tell all your friends about the terrible treatment you received so that they go out of business and a more inclusive business take over.

Free market economics and capitalism beats ALL other systems that have been tried.

Vote with your dollars. Go to a different restaurant. If everyone would do that, the businesses that discriminate would quickly disappear.

Exactly. Let the market operate. A business that is not discriminating will be more profitable and win out.

• minimus
    minimus

I believe people should not be discriminated against. If people discriminate because of color creed religion, laws should be in acted to make it illegal. I see no difference when it comes to politics. If I am denied service because I am a conservative minded person or because I like a certain Politician, it should not be allowed. Some laws are appropriate. Unfortunately, we have had to make certain requirements because history shows people do not always do the right thing. Not that long ago blacks were segregated. Laws were put in effect to outlaw that. That’s a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit