2700 years ago Jews ate pigs

by fulltimestudent 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Typical breakfast meal for a ancient Hebrew.....

Hash Brown Bacon Eggs High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If you look at the research, Jewish (and thus also Christian) canon wasn’t established until relatively recently. The Books of Moses can be divided between 5 major factions and the Levite laws were rather late in this amalgamation.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Where did the herd of swine jesus sentcthe demons into come from?

It does say domestic

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The "Gerasene" swine story is a Literary trope. Look it up. But it did enter my mind for a moment, that story, but in the parable of the prodigal son the son had to travel out of Judea to keep pigs.

I think by the time of Jesus eating Pigs was a no-no, but obviously in much earlier times, when the Mosaic law was supposed to be in full sway, the Jews knew nothing about any such ban !

Which is further proof that the Jewish Bible was thrown together at a very late date.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I have a thread on the topic (of the swine, with related links): Here.

One of the things I have wondered about is the demons requesting Jesus to send them into the swine, and then they immediately drown the swine. What was their logic?

My speculation: The promised land was set apart for the descendants of Abraham. The rest of the world was given to the nations (at the tower of Babel). (De 32:7-8) As such, (I'm thinking) the demons could only trespass when they had a legitimate reason (such as some idolatrous practice, etc).

In the case of the demoniac, Jesus was about to take away their reason for trespassing. So they ask to be sent into the swine, something they think Jesus might agree to (considering the Law), but from their standpoint allows them to stay in the area.

From Jesus' standpoint, he knows the Law Covenant is about to be superceded and that the barriers differentiating the Jews from the nations are soon to be removed. (Eph 2:14-16) So it makes no matter regarding sending the demons out of the country. (Mk 5:9-10) From Jesus' standpoint, a source of Jewish disobedience to the Law is removed.

But like I said, "my speculation."

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

For those interested in the subject, there is a book called "Israelite Religions" by Richard S. Hess, an archaeologist and professor at Denver Seminary. In the Northern and Southern Israelite kingdoms many religions did the rounds, e.g., those practiced on the "high places," Massebot or standing stones (similar to Stonehenge), asherahs, some of which one also encounter in the Biblical account. Often when things did not go well, the Israelites turned to other deities, e.g., Baal.

Another Is by William G. Dever, "Did God have a wife?" He wrote about Yahweh and Asherah and divided Israelite religion into "state religion" and "folk religions." Of course the Biblical account emphasizes "state religion" but if you read between the lines you will notice quite a few different religions and cults amongst the people.

• Marcial
    Marcial

Is it not mentioned in the New Testament that herds of pigs were raised by residents in the land of Israel? This is therefore not an archaeological novelty unless it is demonstrated that the Jews consumed the flesh of these animals, which were then considered impure according to the law transmitted by Moses. This suggests that before Moses all forms of animals could be used as food once they were slaughtered and bled. By going back in time before Moses, we situate ourselves around 2700 years before our era, the Mosaic law did not exist, hence the hypothesis that the Jewish nation could consume the flesh of pigs without infringing anything. If we look a little in the Genesis account, it is about pure and impure animals that Noah put in the ark, but we have no indication of what they were. When Noah and his descendants left the ark, they could apparently eat animal flesh, including that of the pig or the species that took its place. This is only a personal comment following this information which seems to me to be true. Marcial

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit