JW's NOT Pacifists!

by pettygrudger 29 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

http://www.purelanguage.net/forums/showthread.php?s=113336d091f780544504bb7ab27cc48d&threadid=7473

There are news reports at the moment going around about a women basketball player that turned her back on the flag to protest the Iraq war. Her comments to reporters were that she was: "Raised as a Jehovah’s Witness in Richmond, Calif., she said her mother, Fayette Elliott, does not acknowledge the flag and raised her children to believe they could choose not to as well."

Also I read/hear over and over that JW's take a stand against war because they are Pacifists. For example:

During the Persian Gulf war in 1991, Detroit Tigers teammates Chet Lemon and Lou Whittaker taped over U.S. flags that the commissioner's office mandated on all batting helmets, citing their pacifist beliefs as Jehovah's Witnesses.

But this is 100% incorrect! We as Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT Pacifists!

Those that claim to be pacifists because they are JW's haven't been paying attention. Our brothers and sisters have suffered imprisonment and prejudice because they take a stand on the side of Jehovah's war. We "welcome God’s war that will finally enforce his will on earth—a war that will settle the great issue of universal sovereignty and rid the earth of all enemies of peace once and for all." (g5/8/97).

There is a good article in the w2/1/51 that stated rather forcibly
    “The smearing of us as extreme pacifists is without foundation and is a deliberate lie to provoke prejudice against us and this international assembly. They have done as the Scriptures prophesied, ‘framed mischief by law.’—Psalm 94:20. Extreme pacifism is not our preachment. We are not pacifists. . . . To charge that we are extreme pacifists is a lie.”

So don't let anyone call us a Pacifist and be ready to offer proofs. These so-called JW's that claim to be pacifists are unwittingly propagating a falsehood, to put it mildly.

I didn't know Chet Lemon & Lou Whittaker were JW's - I wonder how they went out in the field ministry!!!!

• Sargon
    Sargon

Petty,

I think this is how they meant the quote:

During the Persian Gulf war in 1991, Detroit Tigers teammates Chet Lemon and Lou Whittaker taped over U.S. flags that the commissioner's office mandated on all batting helmets, citing their pacifist beliefs as Jehovah's Witnesses.

But this is 100% incorrect!
  • Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

You know petty this is something that always bothered me as a JW…..that we were not to be pacifists because I AM!

I went through fazes in my life where sometimes I thought some wars were ok but still most of my life and now the last 16 years of it I have been Anti- Violence of any kind.

The fact that as a JW I was to tell people I was not a pacifist was something I rectified by saying Jehovah as Creator could do as he pleased but I myself would not wage war.

The other thing that bothered me was as JW we were to be for the death penalty just because Ancient Israel practiced that form of punishment!

Well that was them not me! They supposedly had Jah’s spirit and would have known a person’s heart and mind. This luxury I do not have! Also, I feel if I murder a murderer then I become WORSE then he. It is just my way. These people who commit heinous crimes must be mentally imbalanced and although they have caused pain and suffering need proper medical attention and help.

It really drove me crazy how the WTBS spoke FOR me on all subjects!

Hmmm…..my 2cents of rant….no refunds.

Gotta luvz ya Pretty Grudger….thanx always for your kind support.

Utopian_Raindrops

• undercover
    undercover
    There are news reports at the moment going around about a women basketball player that turned her back on the flag to protest the Iraq war. Her comments to reporters were that she was: "Raised as a Jehovah’s Witness in Richmond, Calif., she said her mother, Fayette Elliott, does not acknowledge the flag and raised her children to believe they could choose not to as well."

So what was she doing on an organized basketball team?

This is the first I've heard of her having any connection with the Witnesses. Since when are Witnesses to turn their back on the flag?

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The young woman's name is Toni Smith, she attends Manhattanville College...if her mother is named Fayette Elliott-as noted in the PLN piece-and she was raised as a JW, I think that would have been brought out in all the news stories.

This was reported on by all the major news channels. I cannot believe she was a JW or raised as one.

http://www.mville.edu/athletics/sports/wbask/02-03_season/02-03_roster/Toni_Smith.htm

• undercover
    undercover
    There is a good article in the w2/1/51 that stated rather forcibly
    “The smearing of us as extreme pacifists is without foundation and is a deliberate lie to provoke prejudice against us and this international assembly. They have done as the Scriptures prophesied, ‘framed mischief by law.’—Psalm 94:20. Extreme pacifism is not our preachment. We are not pacifists. . . . To charge that we are extreme pacifists is a lie.”

Websters definition of pacifist:

Main Entry: pac·i·fism
    Pronunciation: 'pa-s&-"fi-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French pacifisme, from pacifique pacific
    Date: 1902
    1 : opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes; specifically : refusal to bear arms on moral or religious grounds

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Why Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Not Pacifists

"Jehovah is a man of war: Jehovah is his name."—Ex. 15:3, AS; Yg.

"JEHOVAH’S witnesses! Just a bunch of pacifists!" So a great many people will exclaim with scorn. And so they have been led to think by the charges hurled at these by their enemies. But are the witnesses pacifists, seeking refuge under the cover of "conscientious objection" because they are afraid to fight? Let us here honestly search for the right and fair answer to this hot question. What have they to say for themselves?

At the 1950 international assembly of Jehovah’s witnesses in Yankee Stadium, New York city, 10,000 foreign delegates were there from more than sixty other lands. Most of these had been subjected to great religious discrimination, embarrassment, hardship and inconvenience because they were obliged to clear themselves of the false charge of "extreme pacifism". An indignation meeting was held Friday afternoon, August 4, at the assembly, at which the 70,000 American delegates in the presence of these foreign brothers unanimously passed a "Regret and Protest", and at the close of the afternoon’s session a million copies of this were distributed. This 4-page paper vigorously called attention to the "Discrimination on False Charge of Pacifism" and said: "The smearing of us as extreme pacifists is without foundation and is a deliberate lie to provoke prejudice against us and this international assembly. They have done as the Scriptures prophesied, ‘framed mischief by law.’—Psalm 94:20. Extreme pacifism is not our preachment. We are not pacifists. . . . To charge that we are extreme pacifists is a lie."

As defined by Webster’s New International Dictionary (2d edition, unabridged, of 1943) pacifism means: "Opposition to war or to the use of military force for any purpose; especially, an attitude of mind opposing all war, emphasizing the defects of military training and cost of war, and advocating settlement of international disputes entirely by arbitration." Such pacifism not even the Bible itself can be charged with teaching, and neither can Jehovah’s witnesses, who stick most scrupulously to the Bible.

When expressing a judgment upon Jehovah’s witnesses people are inclined to think of them as a religious body less than a century old. True, this unique name came into the limelight in 1931, when, by public acclamation, these faithful Christians all over the earth adopted resolutions rejecting the contemptuous names the enemies had tagged onto them and accepting the Scriptural name "Jehovah’s witnesses". But their history is much longer than a century. Already in the eighth century before Christ the prophecy declared to God’s chosen people: "Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; . . . I have declared, and I have saved, and I have showed; and there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and I am God." (Isa. 43:10-12, AS) In fact, the history of Jehovah’s witnesses runs all the way back to Adam’s son Abel, whom his brother Cain killed because Abel had received favorable witness from Jehovah God. The apostle Paul, in chapters 11 and 12 of his letter to the Hebrews, shows that fact. In all that history of almost six thousand years the record fails to show Jehovah’s witnesses accusable of "opposition to war or to the use of military force for any purpose", which is the definition of pacifism.

We could go through the list of Jehovah’s witnesses from Abraham onward to show they were not pacifists. The apostle Paul tells us about Abraham "returning from the slaughter of the kings" and receiving the blessing of King Melchizedek. (Heb. 7:1-4; Gen. 14:14-21) He tells of Moses who led the Israelites to the borders of the Promised Land. Then he mentions one high light in Joshua’s war to purge the Promised Land of the immoral pagan inhabitants, and adds: "And what more shall I say? For the time will fail me if I go on to relate about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David as well as Samuel and the other prophets, who through faith defeated kingdoms in conflict, effected righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, stayed the force of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from a weak state were made powerful, became valiant in war, routed the armies of foreigners." (Heb. 11:30-34, NW) Every one that Paul there names was a fighter. Jehovah gave them victory. Only because Jerusalem proved unfaithful to God after repeated warnings by his witnesses Jehovah yielded the Jews over to the Babylonian armies and did not fight for them. He had forewarned them of punishment for disobedience, and so he let that come upon them in vindication of his word.—Deut. 28:36-67.

NEHEMIAH,

MORDECAI AND ESTHER FIGHTERS

Seventy years the Jews or Israelites were exiles in Babylonian provinces. Did they join the armies of Babylon and fight for its world domination? No; although some Jews, like Daniel and his three Hebrew companions, were taken into the governmental service in spite of their conscientious worship of Jehovah God. Government servants of high rank those three Hebrews might be, yet they refused to violate their conscience and bend to Emperor Nebuchadnezzar’s decree and commit idolatry, saluting the image of the political state, the golden image which the dictatorial ruler had set up for united worship by all elements of his empire. (Dan. 3:1-30) When Babylon was overthrown, the captive Israelites were not mixed in with Babylon’s armies fighting against its overthrow. They knew Jehovah’s prophecies had foretold its overthrow, and so why fight against fulfillment of divine prophecy, and for an oppressive world power at that?

Under the new rule of the victorious Medes and Persians the aged Daniel was taken into the government service of King Darius the Mede. He became the leading president of all the king’s satraps. When the jealous enemies could find no occasion against Daniel except in his faithful obedience to the law of his God Jehovah, then they framed mischief against him by law. Though faced with being thrown into the lions’ den, and with his governmental office at stake, Daniel refused to violate his conscience. He did not bow to the imperial law which was against praying to Jehovah and required everybody to look to the political state for everything. Daniel rendered to the emperor only what belonged to him, but to God the worship and obedience that belonged to him. God shut the lions’ mouths for him, but those who framed mischief against him by crafty law were themselves thrown to the lions.—Dan. 6:1-28.

Cyrus the Persian succeeded Darius as ruler. In his first year the captive Jews were let return to the site of Jerusalem and rebuild Jehovah’s temple. They did not have to fight for their liberation by force of military arms, but Almighty God restored them for his name’s sake and because they repented and devoted themselves to his worship. But even after this restoration to their homeland the Jews did not become pacifists.

This fact is noteworthy in the case of Nehemiah. He was a Jew in governmental service as cupbearer and close consultant of the Persian king Ahasuerus. He was made governor of the Jewish province in Palestine and was sent to build good walls for the restored city of Jerusalem. The pagan enemies accused Nehemiah of trying to secede from the empire. "And they conspired all of them together to come and fight against Jerusalem, and to cause confusion therein." What action did Nehemiah take? He did not leave God out of consideration, because he knew that "except Jehovah keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain". (Ps. 127:1, AS) So the record informs us: "But we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them. . . . And I looked, and rose up, and said unto the nobles, and to the rulers, and to the rest of the people, Be not ye afraid of them: remember the Lord, who is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." From then on the builders carried on construction of the wall armed with spears, shields, bows, coats of mail, and swords girded at their side. The conspiracy was thus foiled. (Neh. 4:8-23, AS) God’s cause was involved and the liberty of his people to worship him freely. That was why those Israelites had chosen to fight. It was not for the glory and power of the Persian empire that they fought. They fought for their brothers who belonged to God’s organization and who worshiped him.

In other provinces of the Persian empire there was also no pacifism on the part of the Jews. Over sixty years after the restoration of a Jewish remnant to Jerusalem the Jews throughout the empire were accused by a religious enemy in high governmental position. They were different from all other people; besides the law of the empire they had Jehovah’s laws governing their worship of God. So the wicked enemy Haman said: "Their laws are diverse from those of every people; neither keep they the king’s laws: therefore it is not for the king’s profit to suffer them." And he requested and got a law passed to have them destroyed before ever another passover rolled around.—Esther 3:8-15, AS.

Under the counsel of Mordecai the Jew, Queen Esther carried a legal fight to the highest judicial figure of the empire, King Ahasuerus himself. At the risk of her own life she pleaded for relief for her people, at the same time exposing the mischievous designs of their religious enemy Haman. This wicked persecutor was hanged on gallows he had built for Mordecai, and Mordecai was advanced to higher office in the Persian government. By authority of the emperor he wrote a law into the government statutes, providing for the Jews on the fixed day of assault by their foes "to gather themselves together, and to stand for their life, to destroy, to slay, and to cause to perish, all the power of the people and province that would assault them, their little ones and women". Did the Jews pacifistically refuse to act upon this law for their self-defense by force of arms? No! On the 13th and 14th days of their last month Adar, they fought valiantly for the defense of their own lives and those of their brothers. Jehovah God was with them in this and handed them the victory and fulfilled his own prophetic command to have the Amalekites wiped out to a man. The Jews, his witnesses, he used as his executioners.—Esther 8:10 to 9:16; Ex. 17:13-16, AS.

NO

SHIFT TO PACIFISM AT THE WORLD’S END

Many of our readers or public officials may ask: If Jehovah’s witnesses of today are linked up in one unbroken chain with those witnesses of ancient times with such a history, why is it that they do not carry out this tradition of military combat? Why are they not found in the ranks of the armies of Christendom? Why do they seek exemption from military service? Why do they go so far as even to refuse to enter the Public Service camps maintained for or by pacifists and conscientious objectors, or take any part in the defense or war effort? Ask Jehovah’s witnesses why, and they will tell you it is not because they have turned pacifist. It is because they have conscientious objection to taking part in such war and defense efforts of Christendom and the rest of the world, their objection being based on God’s Word, the Bible. But, you ask, how can they be conscientious objectors and not at the same time pacifists? They are not against war between the nations, and they do not interfere with the war efforts of the nations nor with anyone who can conscientiously join in such efforts. They fight only when God commands them to do so, because then it is theocratic warfare.

Were Jehovah’s witnesses today to claim to be pacifists, it would mean for them to denounce all the pre-Christian witnesses of Jehovah who took up arms to uphold Jehovah’s universal sovereignty and his theocratic nation of Israel. But this denunciation we cannot make. Jesus Christ never did so, and he is Jehovah’s greatest witness, who has earned the title "The faithful and true witness". (Rev. 3:14) Jehovah himself is no pacifist. Neither are his witnesses such, although they are conscientious objectors. Jesus was no pacifist, although there is no record that he ever took up carnal weapons in self-defense. Ah, you say, but did not Jesus make a whip of cords to drive all the commercial venders from the temple at Jerusalem? Yes, but the record does not say he used this whip on the men who were doing the selling but he used it upon their sheep and cattle which they had brought into that sacred place, "making the house of my Father a house of merchandise."—John 2:13-16, NW.

Again you object, Did not Jesus, after setting up the Memorial with his disciples, tell them before going out to Gethsemane, "Let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one"? And when his disciples said, "Master, look! here are two swords," he said to them, "It is enough." (Luke 22:36-38, NW) Yes; but by this Jesus indicated to them that he was to be seized by an armed band, under circumstances which could provoke armed resistance. The facts that developed showed Jesus did not resort to a sword when his illegal arrest came. Why, then, did he suggest getting a sword and let at least one sword be taken along to Gethsemane? He did it to show that he chose not to resort to armed resistance but would give himself up voluntarily in harmony with his Father’s will. Peter tried to put up armed resistance, used the sword and struck off a man’s ear. Then Jesus said to Peter: "Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father to supply me at this moment more than twelve legions of angels? In that case, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that it must take place this way?" (Matt. 26:52-54, NW) According to John’s account Jesus added: "The cup that the Father has given me, should I not by all means drink it?" (John 18:11, NW) So we see why Jesus acted in a way that to some seems like pacifism. He was, however, not going before his Father’s court or before the courts of the land on a charge of armed resistance. He did not expose himself to being killed under armed resistance; he must die willingly, sacrificially, like a lamb led to slaughter.

CONSISTENT

WITH PROPHECY AND THEIR MESSAGE

Jehovah’s witnesses copy Jesus and obey his instructions. That is why they have not joined worldly armies and taken part in the war efforts of the nations in any way. This does not mean they are pacifists opposed to war and resisting it and interfering with worldly governments in prosecuting wars of aggression or of defense. They could not be war-resisters, for they submit to the fulfillment of Jesus’ words concerning the consummation of this system of things. Asked by his disciples, "Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the consummation of the system of things?" he told them: "You are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that you are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the accomplished end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress." (Matt. 24:3, 6-8, NW) So how could the Christian witnesses of Jehovah oppose worldly wars or try to prevent them since Jesus prophesied that they were certain to be fought? Jesus did not tell them they would be in the fighting. They would merely hear the wars being fought within their earshot or else hear the reports about the wars fought elsewhere.

Were Jehovah’s witnesses today to be pacifists, then, to be consistent, they would have to oppose Jehovah’s war against the Devil’s entire world at the battle front of Armageddon. They have seen the nations of this world assault God’s visible organization of his people, prophetically spoken of as "Jerusalem", during the world war of 1914-1918, as foretold by Zechariah. Now they look for the rest of his prophecy to be carried out shortly, namely: "Then shall Jehovah go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. . . . Jehovah my God shall come, and all the holy ones with thee. . . . And Jehovah shall be King over all the earth: in that day shall Jehovah be one, and his name one." (Zech. 14:1-3, 5-9, AS) There will be a great slaughter then, foreshadowed by the slaughter of God’s united enemies who were marching to the attack on Jerusalem in the days of King Jehoshaphat. Hence he calls the field of slaughter "the valley of Jehoshaphat" and invites all the nations of this world to come down into it. (2 Chron. 20:1-25) He issues the command:

"Proclaim ye this among the nations; prepare war; stir up the mighty men; let all the men of war draw near, let them come up. Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning-hooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong. Haste ye, and come, all ye nations round about, and gather yourselves together: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down, O Jehovah. Let the nations bestir themselves, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat; for there will I sit to judge all the nations round about. Put ye in the sickle; for the harvest is ripe: come, tread ye; for the winepress is full, the vats overflow; for their wickedness is great. Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! for the day of Jehovah is near in the valley of decision. The sun and the moon are darkened, and the stars withdraw their shining. And Jehovah will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but Jehovah will be a refuge unto his people."—Joel 3:9-16, AS.

Jehovah’s witnesses of today are the ones commanded to make this proclamation to the nations, and this they are doing. So how could they do this and at the same time be pacifists?

By his acts since A.D. 1914 Jesus Christ could never be accused of being a pacifist. Why not? Because since that date Satan the Devil and his demons have been cast out of heaven and he has come down to our earth with great wrath, knowing that now he has a short time. The unspeakable woes today smiting earth and sea, coupled with all the other fulfillments of prophecy, prove this fact. How was Satan hurled down here? Revelation 12:1-12 answers that after the birth of God’s kingdom and the enthronement of his Son Jesus Christ "war broke out in heaven". No pacifist, it was this King Jesus Christ who battled against Satan and his demons and hurled them down to his footstool, the earth. Now the humiliated Satan is using his demons to drive all the nations to Armageddon for the "war of the great day of God the Almighty". (Rev. 16:14-16, NW) But who are Jehovah’s "mighty ones" whom Jehovah brings down to the "valley of decision" in order to settle forever the paramount issue of world domination? They are the "Lamb of God" and the angels who fought under him in the "war in heaven" against Satan. On earth this lamblike One looked like a pacifist, but now he is the "Lion of the tribe of Judah". (Rev. 5:5, 6) To this fearless warrior Psalm 110:4-6 (AS) says: "The Lord at thy right hand will strike through kings in the day of his wrath. He will judge among the nations, he will fill the places with dead bodies; he will strike through the head in many countries." Read the graphic description of this royal warrior of Jehovah God, at Revelation 19:11-16. Let all the militarized nations know that they will all meet lasting defeat in that universal war of Armageddon and the armaments race will be at last halted for all time.

After Armageddon those who have survived on the winner’s side, Jehovah’s side, will enjoy a perfectly guaranteed peace. Then they will "beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more".—Isa. 2:4.

[Footnotes]

One of the 134 places where the Hebrew sopherim changed the word Jehovah in the Hebrew text to Adonai, meaning "The Lord". See Cath. Conf. Psalms.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Pacifism and Conscientious Objection—Is There a Difference?

HAVING a good conscience toward God does not make a person a weakling or a coward. Jehovah’s witnesses show courage to follow their conscience in these martial times. It is only due to conscience that they have personally and legally objected before draft boards to participating in the armed conflicts and defense programs of worldly nations. In this course their consciences are not warped, but are instructed in what is right, for they are instructed in the Scriptures, God’s Word. With the apostle Paul they say: "I am exercising myself continually to have a consciousness of committing no offense against God and men." (Acts 24:16, NW) So their consciences are clear, no matter how the militaristic minds of this world may criticize them.

Well, then, if not pacifists, what Scriptural reasons have they given for refusing all part in international war? Repeatedly President Truman of the United States has said he believes in the "sermon on the mount" and that he wants the world to know that Americans believe in the sermon on the mount. Jehovah’s witnesses trust that the American president and his colleagues mean the entire sermon. Why? Because it includes not only the so-called "Golden Rule" but also Jesus’ words: "You heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ However, I say to you: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him. And if a person wants to go to court with you and get possession of your undergarment, let your outer garment also go to him; and if someone under authority impresses you into service for a mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one asking you, and do not turn away from one that wants to borrow from you without interest. You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you; that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous."—Matt. 5:1, 2, 38-45, NW.

Was Jesus there teaching pacifism? No; but thus he disclosed that his followers must not be disposed to injure anyone else, even under provocation, where merely personal matters are concerned. They should not resort to the Law of Talion or Retaliation, handed down by Moses, at Exodus 21:23-25 and Leviticus 24:19, 20. But even where eye was to go for eye, tooth for tooth, life for life, this like for like was not to be exacted personally by the one hurt. The balancing of accounts was to be laid before the legal authorities, rather than for the injured one to take the law into his own hands. That was the law given through Moses. But Jesus Christ is the Prophet whom Jehovah promised to raise up greater than Moses, and so Jesus’ law is superior and supersedes the Mosaic law. (Deut. 18:15-19; Acts 3:20-23) Hence we must heed what he says in the sermon on the mount if we are faithful as his followers.

A real keeper of the sermon on the mount will not resist a wicked person, taking advantage of the law of retaliation to give like for like, injury for injury, where it is purely a personal affair and where fulfillment of his commission to serve God is not directly involved. The Lord Jesus was struck on the cheek in the Jewish Supreme Court, but did not turn the other cheek, except in a figurative way. He merely said to the officer that slapped his face: "If I spoke wrongly, bear witness concerning the wrong; but if rightly, why do you hit me?" (John 18:19-23, NW) Later in the same court Paul was struck in the mouth for saying: "I have behaved before God with a perfectly clear conscience down to this day." For this legal outrage Paul said to the high priest presiding: "God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall. Do you at one and the same time sit to judge me in accord with the Law and, transgressing the Law, command me to be struck?" By skillful argument Paul divided the court against itself, so that he was not affected by their judgment but was taken before a Roman court.—Acts 23:1-11, NW.

So Christians must not take the law into their own hands, to return an injury to others. Rather ignore the personal wrong and show the mental attitude of Christ and go on with his service. Let the wicked abuser remember your self-restraint rather than any hurt he might have gotten from you in return, which hurt would prove you are as violent as he is. If the final judgment of a court of last instance goes unfairly against you and it awards more than the personal effects that the person who has taken you to law wanted, let him have, as it were, your upper garment as well as undergarment. It is a personal case, not forcing you to go contrary to God’s law. And so you can show you do not set your affections on perishable material things but have the strength to take personal injuries just as your Leader Jesus did. If some peaceful officer of the government in the discharge of his duties comes upon you and calls on you to render an aid that any other citizen could be called on to render, such as accompanying him as guide for a mile, then be generous. Go with him two miles if it will be to the public’s good through his government service. As you accompany him, show him what a witness of Jehovah is in word and practice. Show proper respect for orderly government, even if it is human. Uphold the legal processes of the land and the laws that are not against righteousness and God’s law. By loving acts and by prayer show yourself willing to help even your enemies and persecutors to find the way to salvation. Do not let their unjust acts provoke hatred that seeks only for hurt and destruction to befall your personal enemies.

Exodus 22:2, 3 has been referred to to show that there may be cases where Jehovah’s witnesses may show they are not pacifists by killing. According to the American Standard Version these verses read: "If the thief be found breaking in, and be smitten so that he dieth, there shall be no bloodguiltiness for him. If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be bloodguiltiness for him." But Moffatt’s translation (with which An American Translation agrees) reads even more clearly: "If a thief is caught breaking into a house and struck so that he dies, the householder is not guilty; but if it was after dawn, the householder is guilty."

In the darkness of night the burglar could not be identified if he escaped, and so he might be struck to halt him. If the blow was fatal and the breaker-in died, then the person protecting his property was guiltless. But if he broke in during daylight and was struck a fatal blow, then the striker was guilty of killing the thief. It was daylight and he could identify the thief and report him to the Law and have the Law apprehend him and compel him to make restitution and suffer a fine too. But in killing the thief the protector of property was going too far. Certainly all the property that a daylight thief could break in and steal is not equal to the value of his life. In having reparation made for what he stole the Law could not require the thief’s life. "What will a man give in exchange for his soul [or, life]?" (Matt. 16:26, NW, margin) If the daylight thief got away, or if the invading aggressors got away, and the Law never was able or failed to bring them to justice, then though we have suffered the loss of material goods we have not brought bloodguiltiness upon ourselves. So respect for the Law is good.

What is said above in reference to turning the other cheek and submitting to public officials in private or personal matters does not mean that Jehovah’s witnesses do not defend the Kingdom interests, their preaching, their meetings, their persons, their brothers and sisters and their property against attack. They defend those when they are attacked and are forced to protect such interests, and Scripturally so. They do not arm themselves or carry carnal weapons in anticipation of or in preparation for trouble or to meet threats. They try to ward off blows and attacks in defense only. They do not strike in retaliation. They do not strike in offense, but strike only in defense. They do not use weapons of warfare in defense of themselves or the Kingdom interests. (2 Cor. 10:4) While they do not retreat when attacked in their homes or at their meeting places, they will retreat on public or other property and ‘shake the dust off their feet’, so ‘not giving what is holy to dogs’ and ‘not throwing their pearls before swine’. (Matt. 10:14; 7:6) So they retreat when they can do so and avoid a fight or trouble. They have a right to appeal and do appeal to officers of the law to come to their help in defense against attack or mob violence.

HOW

THOSE UNDER VOWS PAY BACK WHAT IS DUE

Boards, agencies and officials of the government are told that obedience to instructions in the sermon on the mount does not fit in at all with Jehovah’s witnesses’ rendering everything to Caesar, thus making such ministers of God obliged to render unquestioning obedience to commanders who do not follow the law of God. But the above instructions from the sermon are only part of the compelling reason why Jehovah’s witnesses raise conscientious objections to subjecting themselves to military service and why they take advantage of the provisions allowing exemptions. In the United States of America the Selective Service Act of 1948, which controls the decisions of draft boards and public officials, provides for the deferment of conscientious objectors and also for the exemption of those under vows to God. Section 6 (j) provides for deferment of "any person" whose "training and belief . . . in a relation to a Supreme Being involving duties superior to those arising from any human relation" prevent such person from turning aside from those SUPERIOR DUTIES which he owes to the Supreme Being.

A person cannot become a Christian witness of Jehovah unless he takes a vow by which he fully devotes himself to God through Jesus Christ and so assumes superior duties. He acknowledges God as the Supreme Being and Fountain of life and the Provider of the way to eternal life. (Ps. 3:8; 36:9) He approaches God through Jesus Christ. He acknowledges Jesus as the Son of God who laid down his human life for him, thus providing a purchase price for him. No political state, no "Caesar" or emperor or dictator, can do these things for the dying sinner. And so he does not attribute his debt of life to any political system, but attributes his life to God and seeks to render it to him through Christ. He acknowledges that these Scriptures apply to him: "Ye are not your own. For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s." "Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men." (1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 7:23) So their lives and their implicit obedience and superior duties they render to God as belonging to him; and they surrender their lives in God’s service and not in that of any men.

But Jesus told the Jews, who were in a covenant with God and under vow to him: "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s." (Matt. 22:21) What, then, are we to render to Caesar? Certainly not our lives, for we never did owe these to Caesar and they do not belong to him. Why, what life Caesar himself possesses he owes to God, not to himself as an immortal god. For this reason authentic history shows that Christians of the first century did not expose their lives to the risks of carnal warfare by joining Caesar’s imperial armies, but took the penalty that Caesar imposed for their refusing to be inducted into his armies. In this course those early Christians had Jesus as their example, Leader and Instructor. Jesus lived within Caesar’s realm, because by military aggressions imperial Rome had conquered Palestine. After laying down the law for his followers, "Pay back . . . Caesar’s things to Caesar" (NW), Jesus himself did not enlist in Caesar’s armies. He knew that God and Caesar are not friends. That is why Caesar through his governor Pilate put the Son of God to death and thereafter violently persecuted Jesus’ followers. Jesus’ sermon on the mount says we cannot serve two masters, especially when both masters are foes to each other. Jehovah’s witnesses have "taken solemn vows to dedicate their lives to the service of God" and they are controlled by a "belief . . . in a relation to a Supreme Being involving duties superior to those arising from any human relation", including any earthly relation to Caesar. So when there arises any conflict between God and Caesar, they yield to these superior duties, just as Peter the apostle said to the Law court: "We must obey God as ruler rather than men. . . . and we are witnesses."—Acts 5:29-32, NW.

Furthermore, when Jesus told his Jewish questioners, "Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar," the matter under discussion was not Caesar’s military draft or voluntary enlistment in his army. Hence Jesus’ answer did not apply to that. What they asked him was this, "Is it lawful to pay tribute to Caesar or not?" and that was why Jesus asked them to show him a "tribute coin" and they showed him a denarius with Caesar’s image and inscription on it. So Jesus declared it was lawful according to God’s law through Moses to pay tax to Caesar even though Caesar had extended his empire by force of carnal weapons and had taken away the independence and liberty of Jehovah’s chosen people. Even a man who conscientiously objected to serving in Caesar’s armies of aggression and of subjugation should pay him taxes as a conqueror. Even if Caesar applied a large part of it to his military program, yet what he did with the money he collected by tax was not the responsibility of the conscientious objector. By Caesar’s taking over the control of the country and the running of the government all the subjugated people were receiving some material benefits, and for this they were to pay back to Caesar the tax as due him. Consequently the conscientious objector who is in a covenant with God to be His witness, as the Jews were, is not authorized to engage in any subversiveness or to promote a pacifism that would lead to civil disobedience à la Mahatma Gandhi.

Because they are wholly dedicated to God by their vows to him through Christ, Jehovah’s witnesses are according to God’s Word no part of this world which is governed by the political systems. For this important Bible reason they tell officials of the government that they conscientiously object to serving in any military establishment or any civilian arrangement that substitutes for military service. Jesus told Caesar’s representative Pilate: "My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source." Then Jesus told Pilate why he had not engaged in any military effort to liberate the Jews from Caesar’s domination, saying: "For this purpose I have been born and for this purpose I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth." He came to be Jehovah’s witness and to take followers out from this world, and make them Jehovah’s witnesses like himself. So he told his apostles: "Because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, on this account the world hates you." And when he prayed to God for them he said: "They are no part of the world just as I am no part of the world." (John 18:36, 37; 15:19; 17:14, 16, NW) Concerning Jehovah’s witnesses whom the world hated and mistreated Hebrews 11:38 (NW) says: "The world was not worthy of them." So because they are no part of this world, they are forbidden to meddle and take part in its affairs and controversies. Spiritual Israelites are just as much separated from the nations and their armies as the natural Israelites were.

If their form of worship is to be "clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father", then they must each one endeavor to "keep oneself without spot from the world". (Jas. 1:27, NW) They tell the officials that they are absolutely neutral toward the political disputes and the international controversies and combats of this world. They take no active or violent part for either side, but pay their vows to God and always advocate his kingdom and way of salvation.

Like the priests and Levites of Israel who were specially dedicated to Jehovah’s service at his temple, they have no inheritance in this world. So they do not fight for territories; and if they suffer loss of property through persecutions by their home government or through invasion of the land by armed aggressors, they trust in God to provide them with life’s necessities. As Paul in prison wrote to his fellow witnesses: "You both expressed sympathy for those in prison and joyfully took the plundering of your belongings, knowing you yourselves have a better and an abiding possession." (Heb. 10:34, NW) Rather than be killed in the violent endeavor to protect material properties of this world, they preferred to live in a despoiled condition that they might keep on witnessing for God’s kingdom and "preach the word" and "be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season". No matter what political or governmental changes may take place over their heads, they in their neutral position are obliged to submit to them and to carry on with God’s work the best they can under the altered conditions. They know that God’s kingdom, which the sermon on the mount teaches them to pray for and which they preach, will take full charge of all the earth after Armageddon.—2 Tim. 4:2, NW.

GOSPEL

MINISTERS AND AMBASSADORS EXEMPT

The consecrated priests and Levites were exempted from conscription for military service in Israel. (Num. 1:45-54; 2:32, 33) Since Jehovah’s witnesses are consecrated to God as followers of Jesus Christ, they should likewise be exempted from military duties with carnal weapons. God now exempts them, not requiring them to fight as did Joshua, Gideon, Samson, Jephthah, Barak and David of ancient times. Jehovah God has made these Christian witnesses his ministers of the Kingdom gospel. In the United States of America the Selective Service Act of 1948 exempts ordained and regular ministers of the gospel from military obligations. But the officers charged with applying that Act allow the exemption only to those who are full-time ministers, and not to all the rest. But each one of Jehovah’s witnesses has as his vocation the ministry and is a minister of the gospel, whether able to render full time or only part time. Not merely the full-time servants among them, but each and every one of Jehovah’s witnesses is under a vow of dedication, which involves "duties superior to those arising from any human relation". God’s Word therefore appoints each and every one of them a minister of God and preacher of the Kingdom gospel; and officers of the law of the land, while having a legal right to do so, have no Scriptural right to discriminate and limit military exemption only to some, while excluding others. In doing so they must take responsibility before God for ‘framing mischief by law’.

Being such ministers and preachers, they have not abandoned their neutrality as conscientious objectors and turned aside to engage in military support of this or that side of any worldly conflict. Jesus predicted their neutrality and their preaching activities at this militant time. When he prophesied, "Nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom," he did not say his true followers would engage in such armed rising. Instead, he foretold they would be roughly treated and be "hated by all the nations", not just enemy nations, but all. Then giving Jehovah’s witnesses a commission for this day as well as foretelling what type of work they would do, he said: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for the purpose of a witness to all the nations, and then the accomplished end will come." (Matt. 24:14, NW) So now each and every witness who is under vow to Jehovah God through Christ must obey that prophetic command and fulfill his commission as an ordained minister of the good news of the Kingdom. There is no exemption to any consecrated minister. Those taking the lead among them must set the example, and the others must imitate them. (1 Pet. 5:1-3) These leading ministers do not engage in carnal warfare, but preach. The rank and file of Jehovah’s witnesses, being also ministers of God, copy their faithful example and peacefully preach.

To these Christian witnesses the apostle Paul wrote: "He committed the message of the reconciliation to us. We are therefore ambassadors substituting for Christ, as though God were making entreaty through us. As substitutes for Christ we beg: ‘Become reconciled to God.’" (2 Cor. 5:19, 20, NW) As "ambassadors substituting for Christ" Jehovah’s witnesses have conscientious objection to serving in the military and related establishments of the nations.

Ambassadors are exempt from military service in the nation to which their government sends them, especially in a hostile nation. Remember, in Bible times ambassadors were sent, not to friendly nations, but to nations at war or threatening war. God’s ambassadors substituting for Christ are not sent to friendly nations, but to hostile nations. All nations of this world of Satan are hostile to God. The message given these ambassadors to deliver is, "Become reconciled to God." This shows that the nations are not friendly. How, then, could these ambassadors Scripturally serve in the military forces of such nations or Scripturally consent to do so when required by national law? To desert the ranks of His ministers and thus quit preaching would mean to fight against God, who sent his ambassadors that they might call on the nations to become reconciled to God, not fight him. Jehovah’s witnesses are God’s ambassadors sent to ALL the nations, with the same message for all. Consequently they have not enlisted in the fighting forces of any of the nations. They maintain strict neutrality toward such nations in their mortal combats. They keep true to the divine government, which sends them as ambassadors, even though this neutrality and this Kingdom-preaching cause them to be "hated by all the nations". They have not fought for the unreconciled systems which God will destroy at Armageddon. Hence their conscientious objection!

Concerning these ambassadors the apostle says in this same letter: "Though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things. For we are overturning reasonings and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are bringing every thought into captivity to make it obedient to the Christ." (2 Cor. 10:3-5, NW) For this spiritual warfare you are ordered: "Take up the complete suit of armor from God"; and such spiritual armor you must take up "that you may be able to stand firm against the machinations of the Devil; because we have a fight, not against blood and flesh, but against the [spiritual] governments, against the authorities, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places." Satan the Devil is the "ruler of this world" and the "god of this system of things". (Eph. 6:11-13 and John 12:31 and 2 Cor. 4:4, NW) The very application of such military terms in a spiritual way to God’s ambassadors shows they are not pacifists.

Their warfare is not against blood and flesh. Their real foes cannot be touched by carnal weapons, and hence they take up God’s spiritual armor. They turn their fighting qualities and energies into the spiritual warfare in order to liberate people from the bondage of the wicked spirit forces dominating this world. They are in God’s spiritual army under Jesus Christ. For them to desert it and join this world in its fights would be disloyalty to God and Christ. It would deserve to be punished with destruction without hope of any life in the righteous new world. They must keep their agreement with God and pay their vow to him, for those who are "false to agreements" are by God’s law "deserving of death". (Rom. 1:31, 32, NW) So Jehovah’s witnesses keep neutral toward worldly conflicts and obey these strict orders from on high: "As a right kind of soldier of Christ Jesus take your part in suffering evil. No man serving as a soldier involves himself in the commercial businesses of life, in order that he may meet the approval of the one who enrolled him as a soldier." (2 Tim. 2:3, 4, NW) By this neutral stand toward worldly conflicts and by loyal endurance in the spiritual warfare these soldiers enrolled by Christ meet his approval.

AN

EARTH-WIDE BROTHERHOOD

Since God’s ambassadors are sent to all nations with the one message of reconciliation, then all those who become reconciled to him become one earth-wide association of brothers. In just that way Jehovah’s witnesses are an international congregation of Christian brothers. God’s Word forbids them to split up over selfish interests and start fighting one another; it commands them to keep united and preserve peace among themselves. To emphasize this, the question was asked: "Does Christ exist divided? . . . For whereas there are jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly and are you not walking as men do?" (1 Cor. 1:13; 3:3, NW) On this account they have not abandoned their neutrality toward this world and joined the armies of this divided world under their enemy Satan the Devil. To do so would have meant to become pitted against their spiritual brothers, the children of God, just as in war Protestant becomes pitted against Protestant, Catholic against Catholic, Jew against Jew. This would have resulted in fratricidal warfare for which they would be held strictly accountable by their heavenly Father. Contrary to taking or seeking to take the life of their brothers, the sons of God, they are exhorted to lay down their lives for their brothers, in imitation of Jesus Christ and not of Cain who slaughtered his brother Abel. Hence the apostle John writes:

"Do not marvel, brothers, that the world hates you. We know we have passed over from death to life, because we love the brothers. He who does not love remains in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a manslayer, and you know that no manslayer has everlasting life remaining in him. By this we have come to know love, because that one surrendered his soul [or, life] for us; and we are under obligation to surrender our souls [or, lives] for our brothers."—1 John 3:11-16, NW, margin.

The spirit of Jehovah God is upon his witnesses for them to "preach good tidings unto the meek" and to "bind up the brokenhearted", rather than to break hearts by carnal combat. Now when the river of life-saving truth is flowing forth from the throne of God’s established kingdom, his witnesses must be like trees whose leaves are "for the healing of the nations" and "for medicine", rather than wounding the nations. (Isa. 61:1; Luke 4:18; Rev. 22:2; Ezek. 47:12) This is the "surpassing way" of love, the love of God with all that a person has and the love of one’s neighbor as oneself.—1 Cor. 12:31–13:7, NW.

All the foregoing is only a partial statement of the case of Jehovah’s witnesses, which they have made to boards, officials and courts having the responsibility under the law of the land to determine whether they shall be granted the rights given to conscientious objectors and ministers. But enough has been said to prove to such boards and officials and all others that Jehovah’s witnesses are consistent in their claim. They are not pacifists, but are ministers and conscientious objectors on Scriptural grounds. In taking this stand the boards have been enabled to see that Jehovah’s witnesses stay neutral toward this world and that they remain God’s ministers and ordained preachers of the good news of his kingdom under Christ, with Scriptural and conscientious objection to their participation in worldly war in any form.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Questions from Readers

Jesus said: "Whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other also to him." How does this harmonize with the right of self-defense that Jehovah’s witnesses believe in?—K. K., United States.

Jesus did not say if someone hit you with a club or with a clenched fist you should allow him to strike you again. If an attacker wants to hurt you physically he uses a weapon or at least doubles up his fist when he hits you. On the other hand, if he wants to insult or humiliate you or provoke you into a fight he may slap you with his open hand. A slap is not an attack with intent to injure or kill, but is to insult the one struck. Such personal insults or attempts to provoke one into a fight should not stir the Christian to retaliate. If the blow is struck and the striker then waits to see the result, the Christian will not retaliate and thus be drawn into a brawl.

However, this refusal to pay back insult for insult does not mean Christians are to be pacifists or that they must never resort to self-defense. Christ Jesus himself will go forth to fight Jehovah’s battle of Armageddon, at the head of heavenly armies. Christians resurrected as spirit creatures will serve with him in that war. In ancient times Jehovah’s people fought at his direction and with his help. Today Christians rightfully defend the Kingdom interests, their meeting places, their right to assemble, their property, their brothers and sisters and their own persons. They do not arm in advance, in anticipation of trouble. But when attacked they may ward off blows and strike in defense, though not in offense. If attacked on public property they will call on officers of the law or withdraw, if possible, but in their homes or at their meeting places they need not retreat. They have Scriptural and legal rights to take defensive action. They are not thereby violating Jesus’ words at Matthew 5:39, for those words pertain to personal insults, not to attacks designed to do serious physical damage to one’s person.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Notice although the WTBS states this, when attacked they may ward off blows and strike in defense, though not in offense. If attacked on public property they will call on officers of the law or withdraw, if possible, but in their homes or at their meeting places they need not retreat. They have Scriptural and legal rights to take defensive action. They are not thereby violating Jesus’ words at Matthew 5:39, for those words pertain to personal insults, not to attacks designed to do serious physical damage to one’s person. Jesus Himself NEVER defended Himself in such a matter but Trusted in his Father to take care of Him. Not even in The Temple His Father’s House did Jesus “ward off blows”.

By the way….I am not telling people what to believe as Christians as everyone has free will and can decide for themselves. I am merely pointing out the flawed logic of the WTBS.

When I was a teen I studied karate and so I can be a judge of no man. My Pacifist beliefs came later in life.

Ty for listening…would love to see people’s opinions on The WT view of their non-Pacifist stand.

Also I would like to point out that a Religion who claims to be God’s Only Channel On Earth that instills Non Pacifist views in it’s adherents could in The Future with New Light become a REAL danger to Society as a whole!

They have already killed with their edicts maybe next it will be with their own follower’s hands……might be a long shot….but Most JW’s are drinking The Kool-Aid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit