What language was Jesus most at home with?

by fulltimestudent 45 Replies latest jw friends

• CalebInFloroda
    CalebInFloroda
    Caleb is dead. I got her computers now, everybody watchout
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

My comment on the Coptic language?

Coptic was/is the last flowering of the ancient Egyptian language.

Here's the British Library defining Coptic:

What is Coptic?
    No longer used as an everyday language, Coptic was a descendant of ancient Egyptian, spoken from about 200-1100. It was written using an alphabet slightly modified from Greek. The Bible was translated into Coptic by the second half of the third century, from Greek. http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/gospelsarabic.html

Greek and Egyptian cultures were part of the early Mediterranean culture, as were the peoples of the eastern Mediterranean coast (West Asia). The Mediterranean peoples fought each other, raided each other, took slaves from each other, traded with each other and therefore had to learn each other's languages and ways.

But eventually when west Asia was unified by Hellenic culture, the languages were influenced by Greek.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Caleb, you are way too serious.

Just read what I wrote: "Jesus might have spoken with a heavy Egyptian accent...His use of obscure parables might also be explained in the fact that he had an Egyptian background... and this might also be explained in the fact that the disciples could not make out what he was saying. ... at some point Jesus' disciples at least tried to compare notes.... If he was charismatic perhaps women were attracted to him first and they found his accent foreign and attractive. The men later just went with to listen because their wives would nag them to go... The disciples later got together to try and figure it out but they never really cleared up matters. Its almost like a Scotsman addressing an American audience. They share a common language but the Americans would not have a real clue what the Scotsman was saying...With John one gets the idea that he might have been ingesting a hallucinogenic of some sort and not paying attention to Jesus at all. Jesus is God and all that and he almost never agrees with the Synoptics. Then when you get to Revelation you know he's on something."

Giving my initial "evidence" I take a lot of disparate sources that give Jesus time period in Egypt. Then I average these values. On what basis did I do that? Where's the rule that you can just average different time values from different sources?

Then I contend that after 4.1 years Jesus would now have an Egyptian accent for the rest of his life. Children will actually adopt the accent of their environment. By 10 or 11 years old Jesus would have been speaking Aramaic like the boy next door.

Then there's the issue of evidence for the decree by Herod for the execution of children below two, for which there is absolutely none.

I really didn't think my "thesis" would be taken seriously, least of all by you.

Unfortunately when you kept on coming I started feeding the flames...

I am sorry.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    BTTT because of allegations about Caleb's wellbeing.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

"HER" computers?

"Caleb" is/was female? That's new to me.

Also, found this at the profile: "CalebinFloroda left the building. I've taken over her body. She is mine now. Long live the republic."

What???

Eden

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It's interesting that right before this happened, Caleb and St. B were arguing...it wasn't out of hand, but maybe Caleb got sick of it and it set something off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit