Resurection of "Can any believer answer this?"

by Chap 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chap
    Chap

Hi all.

There was an interesting thread a while back that I have a few things to add to. I am new so I didn't know if anyone would see a post I would put there since the thread happened a few months ago. It is going to take a while to put all my thoughts on the subject. The thread is :

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/39437/1.ashx

The thread was started by LucidSky but most of the thread was about pomegranate's view of the character of God and of Satan.

Writing for me is laborious and some of my ideas will require rather long posts so I do not know how much I will put up tonight.

• Chap
    Chap

We can infer from the bible that Satan is the ruler of this world. Satan offers it to Jesus in Matthew 4. Also, Jesus said in John 12:31 "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world shall be cast out." (New American Standard Bible)

Also we can see around us; the people who seem to get ahead in this world are not the same people who practice the teachings of God; especially, "love your neighbor as yourself"

I agree with pom that we do not have free will. We serve Satan or we serve God. God commands us to obey his laws and glorify him. Satan wants us to believe we can do whatever we want; deluding us to serve him.

I believe that one of the things Satan is trying to do is to defile the character of God. God says he cannot lie. He also says he is all knowing, all powerful, etc. Therefore, all Satan has to do is to make something that God said not be true (a prophesy) and he could call God a liar who is not all knowing, all powerful, etc. Satan can than argue that God isn't any better than himself.

If God predicts something is going to happen and everyone is willfully serving him, it could be said that it isn't much of a prophesy, right? Since most people in the world are not practicing Christians, God makes Satan unwittingly fulfill his word with the use of the people in this world who are serving him. I'll show an example of that within the next couple of days because I got to get some sleep.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Chap;

Also we can see around us; the people who seem to get ahead in this world are not the same people who practice the teachings of God; especially, "love your neighbor as yourself"

Statements like this need proof. This is just opinion. It's like where it says <paraphrase> 'and people will say, where is this calamity you speak of, this has how it has always been ... and the end will suddenly be upon them'. Saying that doesn't make what is being said true. I could tell you the world was going to be destroyed by a mutant star goat unless everyone ate a kilo of brocolli each day, and you'd laugh and say 'where is this calamity you speak of, this has how it has always been ... '. Low grade mind trick - like where is says <paraphrase> 'when you find people doing as they should who do not know god, then it shows you how true god is'.

And which god? As with many Westerners, you assume (despite lack of proof) that the god you were bought up with is God and don’t even consider your god has equal proof (i.e. zero) as any other god.

I agree with pom that we do not have free will. We serve Satan or we serve God. God commands us to obey his laws and glorify him. Satan wants us to believe we can do whatever we want; deluding us to serve him.

And the difference is? Would you like your dad if he were a totalitarian dictator? Or would you love him more if he cherished your inclinations and desires (provided they didn’t harm others). I think it would be more human to love the latter father. We are supposedly made in god’s image, inclinations, desire etc. This alone disproves your assertion of the character of god, as human's have shown a historical tendancy to dislike totalitarian dictators, or whatever they may have been called according to the political make-up of the period.

I believe that one of the things Satan is trying to do is to defile the character of God. God says he cannot lie. He also says he is all knowing, all powerful, etc. Therefore, all Satan has to do is to make something that God said not be true (a prophesy) and he could call God a liar who is not all knowing, all powerful, etc. Satan can than argue that God isn't any better than himself.

Let’s look at the all knowing all powerful thing. If god is like that, then everything is his responsibility, and he can do anything. It does not take a genius to figure out that god set things up in a rather careless and irresponsible fashion if he knew the consequences, and that he could have set it up in other ways that would stop his experimental animals (by your definition we are no better than lab rats in a cage) living quite such a miserable life.

If God predicts something is going to happen and everyone is willfully serving him, it could be said that it isn't much of a prophesy, right? Since most people in the world are not practicing Christians, God makes Satan unwittingly fulfill his word with the use of the people in this world who are serving him. I'll show an example of that within the next couple of days because I got to get some sleep.

I’ll await that with interest. I have to say I find your conception of god amoral and chilling. I would also like to see you prove scriptually some of your claims, and if you cannot do so clearly, explain how you can make these claims. Look at the traps pom gets into in the thread you reffered to;

I am basing it on the Bible and what I see around me NOW. If God created everything in the beginning within a certain alloted time, then rested totally from ALL creating, that means everything the way we see it now was pretty much the way He created it then. Of course, excepting the numerous extinctions throughout time that are obvious by the fossil record.

Mmmm. Bible. Fossil Record. Very nice to try and use the fossil record to back-up a theory, but as the creation account and the fossil record disagree, this is wrong.

Because there was no LAW for what Satan was doing. Defying God was never done before Satan did it, what Satan had created by defiance was NEW TO EVEN GOD, as such as thing never came into God's mind. Defying God was bad, but there was no Law against it.

God is just, and if justice is to be true, then if there is no Law, then there is no transgression so JUSTIFIABLY there can be no punishment. So, God being just, he could not do anything immediately to Satan, so, He begins to create the means by which to have him eliminated JUSTIFIABLY. We then have Genesis 1:1, the beginning of the plan to have Satan eliminated JUSTIFIABLY.

This is great! God gets pissed off when someone doesn't toe the line. But there are no LAWS! So to justify him being pissed off and 'allow' (yeah, I know, he's god, it's his show, but apparently he needs permission) him to kill Satan justifiably, God creates the world as it is, and makes up laws.

Normally a court of law would not pass a conviction on someone who had committed a crime before it was actually a crime, so the use of justice in that sense mystifies me. Obviously the counter argument will be that Satan also showed defiance once the laws were in place. If god knew that would happen, then that’s akin to entrapment, but also makes going to the trouble to make a Universe when someone is b-b-bad to the bone illogical in the extreme; the Universe would be a guillotine… you’d think god would make it a school room… If god knew what was going to happen, then he’d have known Satan would have been defiant in the first place, which rubbishes the entire argument. If he did not know what was going to happen, then he’s not much use as a god, is he?

Also, under this argument, every drop of human blood spilt, every heart ache, every tear, every inhumanity done in the name of god, ALL OF IT, is just because god wants to prove a point. Is THAT just? Is that CARING? Is that LOVING?

If it is by god’s definition, I don’t think I’d consider a god like that even worthy of worship.

Pom has a good line in patter; one of the first comments on the thread seemed apt – it was along the lines of ‘you could start a new religion with that’. And just like the rest, it would be based on a human’s opinion, but claim to be something better…. Despite the lack of proof of virtually anything that he advanced, despite the implication that he had special knowledge… who does that remind you of???

• anti-absolutism
    anti-absolutism

After having read the previous thread and now this one, I am certain that Chap is pomegranate but has taken A LOT of valium since October 2002..... lol

To quote Montaigne in 1588, who said, "Man must certainly be stark mad. He cannot make a flea but makes gods by the dozen."

In an effort to prove that I HAVE NOT gone mad, I refuse to make my own god. But it is very entertaining to read about other people making their own!!!!!!!!!!

Brad.... of the "I hope the god you DO make is a lot nicer than the JW one" class

• starScream
    starScream

Chap and Abaddon, more to Abbadon though since you seem to have sympathy for the devil.

You both make good points. I think you are both making things a little more complicated than they need to be. About God establishing his authority I will just say this:

God is God. He did not rise to power. He created everything that exists apart from himself. If we can agree that originally he made things perfect in the heavens then we should have no reason to believe that God was not the rightful ruler. If we cannot agree based on those perameters then who ever has the right to rule or decide the way things should be? If you think under those circumstances that God does not know what is best and have the justified right to establish that fact then you are posing a challenge based on your own groundless authority. I am not accusing you of this but if this is your position you are being a hypocrite for accusing God of something you are doing. This is what the devil did. This challenges God's authority.

Now here is the problem. Given this circumstance how would it satisfy you that God was the correct authority? Would you endorse the devil's objections, and everyone else's? God would be agreeing with the devil that God does not know best and is not the correct authority. God knows this is not true and would be calling himself wrong and a liar. Therefore he must insist on his authority.

So that others know that what the devil is doing is wrong he calls the devil wrong. Would you at this point have God kill the devil? What about the next person like you that says God should not have killed the devil because it wasn't proven that the devil was wrong? Do you see the problem? The solution cannot be made to satisfy all possible objections yet.

So how would prove the devil wrong for his rebellion? Any ideas? God continued creating and created man. The devil seeing the opportunity for more rebellion poses the challenge to God that man should rule himself. What would you do at this point? Would you satisfy the objection and NOT act in a way that you can be accused as a tyrant? God allowed it that if man rebels against him then man can rule himself. You seem to think that God should simply intercede at every moment without ever letting the consequences of rebellion be known. The consequences of rebelling against God are chaos, pain, confusion, hate, pride....... God did not create these things. Those that rebelled created them. By simply allowing persons the freedom to rebel God proves himself right by the outcome of ungodly authorities.

You tell me how God can make creatures with truly freewill and prove his authority when they rebel in some other way that is more to your satisfaction.

• logansrun
    logansrun

starScream,

Shouldn't God's "sovereignty" be an axiom that need not be tested due to the consequences? I don't need to let a ten year old drive a car to help other ten year olds see that it is dangerous and stupid. For that matter, if God wanted to prove that it would be such a bad thing (human rule, that is), why not just use his prophetic foreknowledge to give everyone a vision of what life could be like without His rule? Doing this would accomplish His objective without actually causing the harm.

The Hebrews were not exactly philisophical giants you know.

Bradley

• Sargon
    Sargon
    So how would prove the devil wrong for his rebellion?

I'd create man, let him be influenced by the devil. Then I'd proceed to inflict punishment on his descendants for the next 6,000 years. Problem is: how does that prove the devil wrong? Doesn't it prove that I'm an unforgiving, insensitive, egotistical father?

• starScream
    starScream
    I'd create man, let him be influenced by the devil. Then I'd proceed to inflict punishment on his descendants for the next 6,000 years.

Man's suffering is at the hands of man. I already stated that the devil insisted to God that man should rule himself. Man chose. The responsibilty for our current condition is not a result of God's will. It is a result of the rebellion against God's will. God left this equation to honor the objection that was raised.

The other problem that you don't realize is that when God said that man will rule himself MAN WILL RULE HIMSELF. He can't just take it back he has given the authority over. He would be breaking the deal, then someone else like you can say look this is a God that does not honor contracts.

So one way or the other MAN will ALWAYS rule himself. God will always honor the contract. We just need to elect a Man that has shown that he can be a perfect ruler. I have already cast my vote. I'm sure you can guess which man I voted for.

Go ahead, attack God again. Do it. Take the devil's side. Just make sure that you never under any circumstance give God the slightest benefit of the doubt. That would be rebelling against satan.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

StarScream-

So how would prove the devil wrong for his rebellion? Any ideas? God continued creating and created man. The devil seeing the opportunity for more rebellion poses the challenge to God that man should rule himself. What would you do at this point? Would you satisfy the objection and NOT act in a way that you can be accused as a tyrant? God allowed it that if man rebels against him then man can rule himself. You seem to think that God should simply intercede at every moment without ever letting the consequences of rebellion be known. The consequences of rebelling against God are chaos, pain, confusion, hate, pride....... God did not create these things. Those that rebelled created them. By simply allowing persons the freedom to rebel God proves himself right by the outcome of ungodly authorities.

How would I prove the Devil wrong? Well, as God I would’ve have too? What's wrong with wiping out the memories of the events? This may seem like a copout, but God can do whatever he wants, and no one would know. If this isn't a good idea, then how about punish the perpetrators only? Satan, Adam, and Eve are the ones who disobeyed God. The whole thing about us inheriting sin is a bunch of BS. We did nothing to deserve punishment for THEIR sins. Plus, Adam and Eve are dead. It's not like they see what their deeds accomplished. Besides all that, why did God make such a dumbass rule like, "you can't eat from this tree or your offspring will suffer for thousands of years"? Do we punish children for their father’s crimes, or is it only okay for God to do this?

I would have done things way different as God. Since his creation was flawed, he could've started over. Satan did what he did and so did Adam and Eve because of His flawed design. After all, Revelation 4:11 say he created ALL things. In this verse no distinction is made that he created only good things. There are also various scriptures that speak of God sending evil spirits upon people, so he is capable of doing evil.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

StarScream-

The other problem that you don't realize is that when God said that man will rule himself MAN WILL RULE HIMSELF. He can't just take it back he has given the authority over. He would be breaking the deal, then someone else like you can say look this is a God that does not honor contracts.

Well obviously God mad a bad decision when he made this contract. Adam and Eve according to your theory wanted to rule themselves, and I suppose should've suffered. What about the rest of us? We had no choice and yet still suffer. How is this fair?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit