COMMENTS YOU WILL NOT HEAR AT THE 3-9-03 WT STUDY

by blondie 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BIBLE BASHER
    BIBLE BASHER

blondie. hello and greetings. i have been reading your comments for some time and in general enjoy them however you seam to be always disagreing with or condeming every thing in the WT. Do you ever agree with any thing? if so why not say so. I have also noticed that you quite often present your own ideas on matters but condem the WTS for doing the same. Please keep up with the good work but be fair not every thing in the "truth" is bad and not every one has a poor educational background and eaisly lead or influenced

• blondie
    blondie

Biblebasher, I wonder why you are comparing me to the WTS. I have never said I was the only channel to God as the WTS has. The WTS writes some good things, but does not follow through with actions. As the Bible says,

James 4 17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.

James 1 22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

Matthew 7 21 "Knowing the correct password--saying "Master, Master,' for instance--isn't going to get you anywhere with me. What is required is serious obedience--doing what my Father wills.

Blondie (actions speak louder than words)

• minimus
    minimus

BibleBasher, why don't YOU do the flipside of Blondie's comments? You could furnish all the positives that the article is expressing. Then, we can ask YOU why you feel this way. What do you say?

• blondie
    blondie

Coming to my rescue, minimus? Thanks.

Are you going to the meeting this week? Not me, not ever. To those who must, remember to do your own personal Bible study during the PT and WT study. They changed the conductor finally, not that it matters. If you are cooking BS, it really doesn't matter who the chef or the server is.

Blondie(I saw the light)

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, 1 good turn deserves another.Today I'm a bit under the weather. Sunday, maybe I'll be sicker....hope so. btw, Biblebasher didn't stick around too long, huh?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Blondie, isn’t it nice that we have the freedom to express our own thoughts on the scriptures, without fear of reproof? I checked the history of Bible Basher’s postings. Strictly hit-and-run. Some of my notes,

March 9 WT Study, “

Remain in My Word” Page 8, February 1, 2003 Watchtower, “ Can You Be Happy and Secure in Your Work ?”

The first two paragraphs emphasize the importance of qualifying as disciples of Christ. Hmmmm. I was taught that becoming a follower of Christ is a gift, freely given. All we have to do is ask. (John 4:10, Romans 5:15-18, 6:23, 2 Corinthians 9:15, Eph 2:8, James 1:17-19) I took a closer look at the scriptures referenced. At John 8:31-59, Jesus was not encouraging his disciples to endure, but was challenging Jews proud of their inheritance through Abraham. Jesus sensed that these folks were not completely sold on his story (like seed planted by the path). Jesus’ instincts are proved right, as his conversation with these devout ones deteriorates to a near-stoning. Again, the second scripture referenced is not addressed to all the disciples, but to Peter. John 21:19,22. Since Peter the pebble (you will deny me three times) had just recently been promoted to Peter the rock, he very likely needed this extra encouragement to

“continue following me .”

The rest of the article uses the parable of the four soils to emphasize the great importance of study, meditation, and bible reading. In two of the examples (trampled ground and weedy ground), the temptations of the world are warned about. Para. 10 Similarly, those who allow the comings and goings of the world to impose undue demands on their time and energy may find that they are too preoccupied to develop any heartfelt appreciation for the word of God. para. 16 ...competition from other pursuits that vie for their attention...This prevents them from giving sufficient time to prayerful and meaningful reflection on God’s word. I suggest, however, that the JW lifestyle itself limits members from making an in-depth study of the Word of God.

What is notably lacking from the article is an explanation of the volume, quality and kind of fruits a believer displays when the Word is planted in fine soil.

And other fell into the good ground, and grew, and brought forth fruit a hundredfold Luke 8:8 ASV

And he that supplieth seed to the sower and bread for food, shall supply and multiply your seed for sowing, and increase the fruits of your righteousness: 2 Corinthians 9:10 ASV

Here is what I found out about fruit on my short tour through the Greek Scriptures:

Fruit - watch out for bad fruit and unfruitfulness (Matthew 3:9-10, 7:16-20, 12:33). Fruitfulness grows exponentially (Matthew 13:18). Those who abide in Jesus are fruitful. (John 15:5) A fruitful person is loving (John 15:9-10, 15:17, Col 1:4-6) Bad fruit is produced by caving to our "flesh" - selfish desires. (Romans 7:4-5). Good fruit includes works of charity, goodness, righteousness, good works, knowledge of God, patience, longsuffering, joy, and truth (Romans 5:26-28, Eph 5:9, Collosians 1:9-11) There is the "fruit of our lips" praise to God (Hebrews 13:15)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, meekness, self-control; against such there is no law. And they that are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the passions and the lusts thereof. (Gal 5:22-24)

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace. (James 3:17-18)

Hmmmm. Nothing about Studying More, Meeting Attendance, or Field Service. Hmmmmm.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good post blondie. jgnat, I agree, the jw lifestyle itself poses such great demands on time/energy, it is no wonder that jws can't find time for meditation and study. And then, when they are frustrated by that, as I was, especially when i was an elder, they are told that it's likely their own fault for giving "undue" time to pursuits that are mostly just a normal part of life. No wonder so many of them get depressed, etc. I remember well the nervous breakdowns I nearly had on several occasions, just trying to keep up with it all.

• blondie
    blondie

Great post jgnat. I know JWs never study the Bible like you do. Your posts always give me something new to add to my study list. Most JWs never look up the scriptures let alone see how they apply to the material. Conductors never tie it in. They are so interested in "covering the material in the allotted time" any valid points are sloughed over. One brother said to us, "The WT study is better now, there is a new conductor." I asked, "Oh, they read and discuss the scriptures more?" Silence. No change in that area.

Rocketman, that is right about elders being kept so busy. Partly, too, most JWs don't know how to study the Bible only how to study the publications. Think about it, that is how every JW starts out their career, whether raised "in the truth" or brought in as an adult. They all study a publication or two, never just the Bible. I have even heard it from the platform that it is not necessary to look up all the scriptures during the study. Yes, elders have more on their plate. Usually, a talk twice a month in the school, one or more parts on the service meeting, conducting a book study, reading at the WT study, some brothers are the school conductor as well or the WT conductor. Then there is usually at least one public talk in or out of town once a month or every 6 weeks. If the elder has a family, then study for the family study. Then we can factor in that he might have one Bible student he studies with each week. There is no time for personal study and meditation.

I enjoy my new study program. I even feel my study of the WT is useful now that I post a review. I have just received the new Message Bible and appreciate the fresh and revealing way it presents the Bible scriptures. I have started using it in my reviews.

Blondie

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

hi blondie: i've been reading your and jnat comments alot. but i can't get past the first few lines. it is so sickening reading the wt's now. i was reading a few pages of this wt , a few weeks ago while waiting for a job in my truck. what shit. i mean it totally pissed me off . i called my dad a jw and asked him if he wanted to go over a few pages. well he just hung up the phone. funny no jw's want to go into what they print with me. so i have stopped reading them . if the jw's can't back it up what's the point. they never get past the 1st or 2nd para with me. but thanx for your good work i hope it helps many. i see what you see but i'm more judgemental and look at it from a different angle. i go right for prove that the wt is god's choosen people. i like the jw personnal history articles. as they always call wt teachings from 50-100yrs. ago worship acceptable to jehovah, or doing the will of jehovah. or bible truth they suffered for. then i bring out false teachings of the time. and ask was that worship pleasing to god? THEY STAND THERE LIKE ZOMBIES. then i ask the final ? SO WHY IS THE WT TODAY PRINTING that the jw's were doing the work of god, 70 yrs. ago if what they were teaching then was blaspemy. john

• Maverick
    Maverick

Dear blondie; Love your post! The point about having 200 people on the writing commitee is an interesting one. What amazes me is the convoluted, indirect manner in which the articles are written. The subject is dropped up and down, forward and back like a carney working the Ball and Cup! The misdirection is very finely executed.

The use of supposition and quasi-logic appears to be designed to lose the reader in ambivalence. This conflict of 'to show love then you must hate' mentality is impressed on the reader over and over again. It softens the brain to just except all the Society's reasonings without question.

Am I wrong or are the articles very wordy? They do seem to take 'the long way round the barn'. Could this be a part of their trying to overwhelm the reader? They do have to fill those column inches with the same drivel week after week. My editor would red pencil about half of the material in these articles if I wanted to get them published. Thanks again, Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit