Orwellian change of the history(Again)

by Ray Frankz 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

Well, this month's JW Broadcasting had a curious piece of history class. Samuel Herd was there, but I don't remember if it was him that presented it. The theme was "How it was to be a JW in the years 1900."

It is shown a silent film of a publisher in the 1900s going door to door to play a Rutherford speech. On first door, the householder reacts with extreme anger when he sees the face of the Judge on the disc cover. There's a poor attempt to do comedy when the publisher try to get the disc that got stuck in the door. On the second door a woman takes a tract but doesn't show much interest. On the last door a widower single father of two decides to let the publisher in because he had found her daughter's toy. The publisher plays the speech "Millions now living will never die" and touch the emotions of the widower because of the part talking about the ressurection.

I noticed some inconsistences. First, there were the JW letters and the full Jehovah's Witnesses on the publisher's car. Then, the "Millions now living will never die" speech. As we know, this speech was mostly made to back the to-be-failed prophecies about 1925. We also know the Bible Students had their name changed (unrequestedly) only in 1931. So it's pretty much unlikely that the post 1931 JWs were still playing the 'Millions' speech to the public, and if they were, it was before 1925 so they weren't JWs yet.

Anyway, who cares about historic accuracy in the GB?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have not seen the latest monthly offering yet, mercifully, but it will come my way soon . This photo from the "Millions" campaign :

Note the initials IBSA, ....International Bible Students Association. .. That was early 1920s

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

I saw that actually, it was the short film Knock Knock. I actually caught the Jehovah's Witnesses name on the door of the car but the man in the video was preaching about the whole Millions Now Living Will Never Die campaign which I thought was weird cause I thought that took place in the 20s and the Witnesses didn't become Witnesses until '31

I get the feeling that it'll slip the mind of any Witness that watches it

• sir82
    sir82

I dunno, I thought it was cute in a cultsy sort of way.

I can forgive historical inaccuracy in mainstream films for the sake of a consistent story arc. If the WTS does something similar, they are far from the first.

• jp1692
    jp1692

JWs don't care about historical accuracy.

Even when the WTBTS pretends to care about its own history, they offer highly-sanitized, revised versions of it:

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Here is the car, I think I've seen pictures of this car at an international convention.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

When did they stop using the "religion is a snare and a racket" phrase?

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    When did they stop using the "religion is a snare and a racket" phrase?

The started using this phrase in the late 1930's. This phrase was a topic of a lecture given by Rutherford in 1938 and is heavily used in the book Religion released in 1941

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

@Drearyweather

Wow so it's historical accuracy is all over the place

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle
    The started using this phrase in the late 1930's. This phrase was a topic of a lecture given by Rutherford in 1938 and is heavily used in the book Religion released in 1941

Which was well after the Millions campaign was over, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit