Science also accurately foretells (and Bible prophecy neutralized)

by iconoclastic 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

In 1987 Herbert Benson, M.D., Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School foretold: “a day will come, through meditation you can set the stage for important mind-and habit-altering brain change.” (Your Maximum Mind, Random House, New York) He gave the reasons: “Over the years you develop ’circuits and channels’ of thought in your brain. These are physical pathways which control the way you think, the way you act, and often the way you feel. Many times, these pathways or habits become so fixed that they turn into what I call “wiring”. In other words, circuits or channels become so deeply ingrained that it seems almost impossible to transform. But there are approximately 100 billion nerve cells in the brain, and each of these communicates with the others through connections called synapses. The total number of possible connections is 25,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (which means if you make a book with that many number of sheets, the pile of paper would be approximately 16 billion light years high—stretching beyond the limits of known universe). Therefore the brain’s potential for forming new pathways—and thus new habits of thoughts and behavior—is practically unlimited. This means if you resolve to lead a sweet and royal life (or a spiritual life) from this moment—it is possible (unlike the Bible writer who wrote “the good that I wish I do not do, but the bad I do not wish what I do.” )

Now Herbert Benson’s scientific prophecy has come true:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-new-resilience/201502/how-meditation-changes-the-structure-your-brain;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/02/09/7-ways-meditation-can-actually-change-the-brain/

Hence prophecy is not unique to the Bible writers. In fact, many of its prophecies are too general, or too vague, or not fulfilled, or fulfilled in the opposite direction. Because as Jeremiah himself admits many of Bible verses are not inspired.—Jeremiah 7:22; 8:8

Prophecies (made by science or Bible) may or may not find fulfilments, hence cannot be taken as proof of God's backing.

• SecretSlaveClass
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Interesting articles, I don't see what prophecies have to do with any of it, but meditation is indeed very powerful. I meditate regularly, it has been very helpful to me, and the more you do it the more effective it is. I have ADHD, meditation helps me more focused and effective in my work and I have been able to lower my blood pressure from a borderline high of 140 to 118.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ SecretSlave...

"They don't know they're stupid..."

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic
    Dear SecretSlaveClass

When you say glass half empty, it means it is half full. When you call another stupid, it means you are smart and intelligent. If the whole world accepts that I am stupid and you are intelligent, what difference would it make. World will still ask: So what?

But what I do does make a difference. I practice meditation from 4 a.m to 5 a.m. daily and I derive many benefits from it spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically and socially. When I share this information, some may feel like practising it, and may bring benefit to themselves and to the whole world. That makes life worth-living.

• cofty
    cofty

Tell them about all the other dehumanising rules of your stupid cult.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

there are different types of meditation and we can find one that suits us. I like the mindfulness techniques.

for example take impulsive behaviour and reacting to things impulsively. this can be overcome but it takes time and patience because this type of response is controlled by a part of the brain that makes it very difficult to shift. prolonged meditation can cause another part of the brain to give a person impulse control. Icon, the bible writer you mention could simply have been pointing how difficult it is to change impulsivity.

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

Dear Cofty,

One can have any type of view about another person/groups. Look at how people reacted when Robert Fulton invented the steamboat. On the banks of the Hudson River, he was displaying his new invention. Some commented that the boat would never start. But, the boat started. As it made its way down the river, people who had claimed that it would never start began shouting that it would never stop. Thus you too are free to have any view about others. Compare your view with this news item: (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/18-life-convicts-at-puzhal-get-diplomas-in-value-education/article5283629.ece)

• cofty
    cofty
    There are people who share views opposite to your views:

Yes there are but their views are simply wrong.

You are an apologist for a dangerous cult that bans it's members from having sex with their wives but whose leaders have repeatedly been involved in sexual abuse and rape.

Shame on you

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

Dear Cofty,

What you say is true of any organization.

Some of the UN officials have been caught for activities not becoming of UN spirit. So what? Should we make a call to people to view UN with disgust and call everything UN does a shit?

A soldier may defect or turn a traitor. Does that mean the whole defense personnel are to be shunned?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit