Jehovah's Witnesses: A Coercive Organization?

by john.prestor 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOHN.PRESTOR

I certainly agree they are a coercive organization. What about their shunning routines? Also, what about the bad attitudes they engender in the congregations with how people are pressured to treat certain people.

I was viewed negatively because I worked at a full time job that I refused to quit to appease jealous idiots..Because I did not follow their coercion and the trend to do housecleaning - they made sure I was shunned to some degree and hardly invited to gatherings.

Glad I never listened.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

How many times have your heard the line "we know you will make the right choice"?

Coercive, oh yeah.

RB

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Yeah, the right choice meaning the choice we want...

LongHairGal, I see your point, that is coercive if others try to pressure you to do what they want using little looks, snide remarks, that kind of thing. Glad you didn't listen either.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    BourneIdentity - "...Tony Morris went off on brothers wearing tight pants and how homosexuals love to see them wearing them, not the sisters. He also chastised the sisters that were jogging in the neighborhoods wearing spanx..."

And ever since, I've called him "Spanky McTightypants". :smirk:

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Does this image placed on the front cover of a WTS magazine look like coercion ?

https://sawiggins.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/watchtower2.jpg

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS coerced people into the organization by making false doctrines such as 1874 , 1914, 1975 exploiting people's basic belief in the bible.

Does it make truthful biblical sense that Jah would choose these false Prophets who sinfully commercialized the Gospel of Jesus for their publishing agenda ?

When you get baptized as a JWS you have to make a solemn vow of obedience to the GB leaders, from there the exploitation and manipulation starts.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Finkelstein, that's exactly what coercion looks like: obey or die.

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

COERCION!

• Half banana
    Half banana

Since Mar 2015 in the UK, repeated abusive or coercive behaviour has been a punishable offence. This was introduced primarily to protect the vulnerable within an abusive relationship, Nevertheless it does apply outside of the narrow interpretation to include children or even vulnerable parents or those who are victims of honour bound violence (HBV) for example.

Without a doubt for a member of the JW religion after committing themselves to the organisation are obliged to remain within the ranks by social pressures to conform even against their will or better judgement. The source of coercion comes from the leadership who repeatedly threaten punishment for those who do not conform. The threat is social death (excommunication) followed by literal death at God's hand. When this message is demanded of children within a JW family, it creates enormous psychological stress and developmental problems because it is emotional abuse. Shunning too is blatantly coercive.

This JW practice of coercion is delivered without regard for the individual's feelings with the threat presented as an unarguable and blanket judgement on them should they choose to disagree or leave the organisation.

How long will it take before the law recognises that the JW organisation and other groups are institutionally fostering coercive behaviour?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit