A JW Belief I still hold on to

by ApagaLaLuz 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

All this talk of WWIII has really got to me to thinking. I still hold strong beliefs against World Divisions. The belief that the JWs teach of a world-wide unity is one that still apeals to me very much. I wanted to share a quick story.

On Sunday we had a barbeque. It was at my friend's parent's house who are Catholic Mexican immigrants. I brought: my mixed nephew (black and white), my Muslim friend Keenat and her twin daughters, My nephew's Black and Mexican friends, my White friend and his daughter, my half Asian half Mexican friend.

We ate Carne Asada, Guacamole, Rice, Salsa, Potato Salad, Fried Chicken, Sushi, Shrimp, Pasta salad. We had a pinata for the kids. Danced to salsa music. Sang hip-hop songs on the Karaoke machine. Sang Beatles songs to an acoustic guitar. Played Iron Maiden songs on the electric guitar.

My White friend's Mexican boyfriend comes up to me later in the night, and says how odd it was for him to see so many different races and cultures together enjoying themselves. My friend and I kinda of looked at each other as we listened to what he said. I explained that I never really gave it much thought. I was raised not to see boarders. While I had such a great time with friends and family from all different backgrounds, I looked around at these "worldy" people and realized that it absolutely is a possablilty, and the JWs aren't the only ones who can enjoy that type of unity.

• Introspection
    Introspection

That sound nice Chevy. I would disagree on one point though, and that is it doesn't sound like it's a belief for you, certainly not just a belief. In fact, I'd say you don't need it in the form of belief because it is obviously a part of you, I doubt you have to even think about it because it's just how you are.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

{{{{hugz}}}} Chevy,

Thanx so much for sharing about your fun day!

Yes that is a JW belief I still find appealing too….but realize it was a teaching and not necessarily applied.

For instance The KH’s in the south were segregated even 4 years after segregation was made illegal in the U.S.

Russell himself did not allow Blacks and whites to sit together to view his precious Panorama and also never let them obtain literature to preach as he put it, it would be an utter waste.

It is so wonderful that the teaching of racial unity meant something to you but to many it is a dead teaching.

My middle child still wishes to be a JW and I aloud service not long ago with her friends.

While on service an Elder’s wife noticed how so many of the calls were Mexican people and she commented,” How did all these Mexicans get here?” My daughter didn’t know what to say but replied,” Well my grandfather’s family migrated here when he was a kid.”

Also another brother who is Mexican said,” To answer that you would have to ask why I was here.”

Now this Elder’s wife is usually very nice and I know she did not mean anything by her comment. BUT, she was raised JW and her example shows just how Russell’s attitude about race prevails to this day in The Religion he helped to start.

{{{{{Hugz}}}}} again Chevy….you’re a wonderful woman!

Gotta Luvz Ya,

Utopian_Raindrops

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I too have mixed feelings about saluting flags, singing national anthems, etc.

To quote Elvis Costello, "What's so funny about peace love and understanding?"

• starScream
    starScream
    I too have mixed feelings about saluting flags, singing national anthems, etc.

I just don't think it is appropriate in Church

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Chevy. Very nice story..

Think about this for a sec.

Maybe it has nothing to do with a belief you hold on to.

Maybe ...just maybe... it has something to do with the fact you're a beautiful human being.

Love

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

This board is a perfect example , that one man's belief cannot be stretched to fit all. If you say "we believe" in something.... then you include all the other members beliefs in that statement. What each of you are doing here is saying "I believe". It is ok, that each of you have different beliefs and opinions.

I have stated before that I dont bash JW's. I just knew at a very early age that I could not say "We believe you should shun this man, because he has broken a list of rules"..... because I could not justify that belief in my conceince. If you go to some of their web-sites... you will see that they state, in simple terms 1. 2. 3. 4. a list of what "we believe".
    There, lies my concern..... I dont even have a problem with telling others about God, and going house to house... if that is what you are really doing..... What they do, is a system of visits and return visits, until the person finally states what "we believe" and is fully accepted into the ..... collective? Belief becomes irrelevant.... only stating lists of rules, and dates, and doctrines to perfection, become the focus. If one man has his own belief, then that person is shunned as "hypocrite". Free thinking is never acceptable unless the Governing Body of Elders say so.

I have seen alot of you jokingly refer to them as "the borg".... I went back and watched some trek.... you are not very far from the truth..... However.... Resistance is NOT futile.

just my opinion (what I believe)

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Thanks guys for all your wonderful feedback...... And just for the record, I'm not a beautiful human being :) I am mean and hateful, and would not like taht rumor started :)

I think people need to put things in perspective....

I love the Elvis Costello quote Dan, very true

• Carmel
    Carmel

One of the reasons I enjoyed working in Isreal was the diversity of people with whom I lived and worked. We had eight hundred staff from over ninety two countries all working together in a milue of Arabs (Muslim and Christian) and Jews as well as Druz and various other ethnic and religious adherents. It is indeed possible to work together in harmony regardless of class, religion, creed or skin color. Some societies just haven't caught on yet.

carmel

• Francois
    Francois

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so I may be repeating someone. However, I seem to remember that Russell preached that if you became a good Bible Student, God would reward people of color by turning them into white folks. I swear. I've seen it in print. It's more subtle than that, but it's there.

Anyone remember that?

ft

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit