How did Matthew Use the Word "Generation"?

by BluesBrother 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England

As I have said on many occasions regarding this scripture, even if you accept the ages of the people listed, then from Abraham to Jesus is about 2014 years. If this is 42 generations then one generation equals 2014/42 = 48 years (approx) per generation.

The idea of a 100+ year generation is nonsense.

George

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    New Overlapping Generational Light! :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    New Overlapping Generational Light! :stuck_out_tongue:

Vid, You should see me laughing. Thanks for making me laugh. I cannot stop laughing.

• Formerbrother
    Formerbrother

I once asked someone years ago what if the end still hasnt come when the generation from 1914 have all passed away? They said the society will probably change it again.

So realistically this new understanding of overlapping generations, what is the longest time frame until they have to have another new understanding?

That brother would lived up to the 1990's from 1914, if somebody was anointed before he died so early 1990's then its their generation that will by no means pass away?

Some of the youngest members of the GB are now in their 50's, (but they are all obese) so they could easily live for another 30 something years?

What on earth will happen if they do die in the next few decades? There are not that many genuine anointed ones left, I mean its pretty obvious that someone not in their later life who claims to be anointed is not going to be? I dont think there are that many genuine anointed ones left who havent had their sealing moment?

• sparky1
    sparky1

It appears that the Governing Body (tm) may have 'stolen' the overlapping generations idea from the study of Economics. There is a theory called the "Overlapping Generations Model" in Economic Theory. Just Google Overlapping Generations Model and you will be surprised at what you find. It appear that the 'rulers' of Jehovah's Witnesses have never had an original thought starting with Pastor Russell right down to our day.

• Splash
    Splash

What is the Bible's definition of a Generation:

40 years: (Numbers 32:11-13) Jehovah's anger blazed against Israel and he made them wander in the wilderness for 40 years, until all the generation that was doing evil in the eyes of Jehovah came to its end.

35 years: (Job 42:16, 17) "And Job continued living after this a hundred and forty years and came to see his sons and his grandsons—four generations.

37 years: Jerusalem was destroyed about 37 years later when Jesus said "this generation will by no means pass away"

38 years: Deut 2:14 - And the days that we walked from Ka'desh-bar'ne·a until we crossed the torrent valley of Ze'red were thirty-eight years, until all the generation of the men of war had come to their end.

(Mt 1:17) "All the generations, then, from Abraham until David were fourteen generations, and from David until the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon until the Christ fourteen generations". When you read the list in Matthew, none of them are described as overlapping:

65 years - Abraham to David : 2018BCE -> 1107BCE / 14 generations = 65 years
    35 years - David to deportation : 1107BCE -> 607BCE / 14 generations = 35 years
    45 years - Deportation to Christ : 607BCE -> 29CE / 14 generations = 45 years

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros
    The GB members just turn the word "generation" to fit any case, knowing that their sheep are ready to swallow every new light and every new shearing unflinchingly. As simple as that.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

As demonstrated by the opening post, it is a teaching that can be demolished in less than a minute.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Not that any of that actually happened - but it seems no one back then was confused by the word:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit