A Hare Krishna Survives Bethel Tour

by gitasatsangha 7 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Just in case my screename gives someone pause, I am not a Hare Krishna (i.e. a member of ISKCON) nor do I share many of their views. I stumbled upon this and found it somewhat funny and ironic. The views of a Hare Krishna in the alien world of Austrailia Bethel. It is somewhat humorous. Well the conclusion might be a bit chilling. Anyway here is link:

http://www.krishna.org/Articles/2001/01/00251.html

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

An interesting story. Thanks for posting, and welcome aboard, Gita!

It seems the writer can't see that having a publishing corporation is at all wrong, quite the opposite! His thrust is that if the WTS with their faulty theology can do it, then surely the Hares who have "the truth" (Troof?) should be able to do it.

BTW I think he may be exaggerating when he writes that he "shares" a spot with the Dubs at Sydney Town Hall. My own impression is that the Dubs are the "regulars" there, not he. Also that the Dubs are geeting less response there than the Hares. Maybe we should get Stephanus' photos as evidence!

Cheers, Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Deleted for duplication. Sorry!

• blackout
    blackout
    So with such a faulty philosophy which is really not very interesting to the general public they are still able to distribute more than 40,000,000 magazines a month... I

How many magazines a month did you used to throw away???

I threw away all of them, at the most I would place 4 per month, we were encouraged to order around 12 per month, so I threw away 8 per month.

some people ordered way more than that, I wonder how much of the 40 000 000 magazines get thrown out?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I see what you mean about the spooky bit at the end... eeek!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Agreed, they miss the point entirely. ISCKON is in many ways the JW's of Hinduism. Whereas Hindus don't push proselytizing, and in many cases even bar people from converting, ISKCON became more a product of its founder, Srila Prabhupada. Consider him possibly the Russell or Rutherford of that group.

There are other similarities between ISKCON and JWs. Both claim they are basically the only way to really know god. Both are devotionally oriented (although it is hard to get down and really see that with the JW's with all the rule-crap). Both have been seriously hurt by sex-abuse scandals. Both have a hierarchy. Both have had major difficulties since the death of their founder/s. Both use literature distribution as a major form of worship. Both are worldwide. Both have big farms in various places. Both believe sex is only for producing children. Both tended to rely on conversion among the marginal parts of society, but now focus more on the middle classes in developed countries. Of course there are Major theological differences, but still, it is interesting to see what is the same.

I have thought that perhaps Prabupadha studied the Witnesses tactics before going to New York to begin his Western ministry.

• greven
    greven
    It is quite bewildering to me. In many ways they are preaching the same thing as the atheists. The atheists claim there is no life after death. They claim one simply dies. The witnesses agree. The atheists claim there is no eternal soul. The witnesses agree. The atheists claim there is no Hell, the witnesses agree. The atheists say everything happens by chance and there is no karma involved in any suffering we may experience. The witnesses agree...

LOL! Tell that to a witness!

Greven

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board, gitasatsganha.

Thanks for posting that article. I find it intersting that his observation "It is quite bewildering to me. In many ways they are preaching the same thing as the atheists. The atheists claim there is no life after death. They claim one simply dies. The witnesses agree. The atheists claim there is no eternal soul. The witnesses agree. The atheists claim there is no Hell, the witnesses agree. The atheists say everything happens by chance and there is no karma involved in any suffering we may experience. The witnesses agree... " no wonder so many xjws lose their faith completely.

Hugs,

j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit