Why Do Watchtower Sympathizers Post Here?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Jonadab
    Jonadab

I'll give you an honest answer minimus. I don't come to argue. That would be a waste of my time and yours. Once in a while I have seen a thread that interests me and I will engage in an exchange of thoughts from a different perspective or to ask a question. Most of the time I log in to get news from around the world that I might not get elsewhere. You all seem to have great resources for finding Witness related stories.

I am a recent member and I haven't posted much nor will I probably ever. I have met a few sincere ones here and I have received a few emails from them asking for my thoughts. I don't come here to 'save the misled' as some may accuse. I'm not here to apologize for what I hold to be the truth. I'm not looking for answers to personal questions. Paint me curious.

• minimus
    minimus

"I am a serious Witness". That was a comment that you made on a post about Lurkers. You seem to be quite rational and unprovoking. However, "a serious Witness" doesn't, out of curiosity, get involved in these arenas. I suggest that you reconsider that remark. Seriously, can you be "a serious Witness" and an associate of apostates, too?

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

It is called being "Passionate" about the issues we are discussing. The real question is why do opposers who have totally abandoned the organization bother to post or spend hours on end talking to others about how bad the society is. That seems pretty pointless.

I fall into the third option if I must choose from your limited menu:

"3. admit your doubts about the organization and its teachings honestly, meaning sometimes you agree with criticism (where your conscience allows) and disagreeing where you don't."

Try as you might there is some, even much good in the organization and among the friends. There is much truth in their teachings also.

And there is much falsehood.

Like pretty much everything else in life the subject is multifaceted and full of shades of gray and just to use more metaphors it would be a whole lot nicer if the scales had a little more balance.

Someone else wrote and wants some real debates with JWs. The problem with that is two-fold. The Areas usually proposed to be "debated" are areas that the Watchtower is wrong about. That sounds funny but what you are really looking for from someone then isn't a discussion of the issues but with ultimate agreement and that is often a different thing. And secondly, with a forum like this it is not easy to convey every nuance of meaning even misunderstandings can arise. It is therefore easy for opposers to make assumptions about something a JW may say. Anyway that is an aside.

More JWs might be willing to post and come to places like this if they weren't bashed by inane and juvenile remarks for their sticking up for the Society. Being called "brainwashed" is no fun nor is "Dub" a term that most reasonable minded peoples care to embrace.

There is the matter of time which is my main deterrent from posting here. As you know most JWs that are making any effort to comply with what is required (by the WTS) don't have the time to sift through a forum like this and to make some reply.

And of course there are a whole host of reasons that I have not even touched upon such as that many persons who disagree choose the reasonable action of "making no reply" to someone they deem beyond pursuasion. Like Jesus debating with the devil over the body of Moses, they choose to leave things in Jehovah's hands. Also there is the fact that "good" or conforming/obedient JWs, with some exceptions no doubt, do not visit websites like these.

This website on the surface puts itself out ther as a discussion board about JWs but out of your own mouth you admit that this is an "anti-witness" site.

I submit that the answer to your question is obvious and derived from your own admission. Why would a witness bother to post to an anti-witness site? If you or others want to encourage more JWs to be active here this site would have to become more fair, even-balanced and less "anti-Witness".

Maybe you can work on that.

-Eduardo who wishes he could post more often but is far far too busy.

• minimus
    minimus

I think that the purpose of sites such as this one is to expose the falsehoods of JW's. Period. Fluff is certainly a normal part of all our lives, too. But we are here to help people see the truth about the "truth".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit