June1,2001WT QFR Confess to Elders?

by ISP 29 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

As JT brought out (and I feel worth repeating):

"Both Brown and Moreno said that the elders, who volunteer and are essentially untrained clergy, might err in their application of a policy both believe puts protecting children first."

Questions From Readers 6-1-01
    In view of Jehovah’s willingness to forgive sins by the merit of the ransom sacrifice, why is it necessary for Christians to confess to the older men in the congregation?

Skillful elders can do much to ease the pain of heart that is felt by the remorseful sinner.

The WTBTS is doing their famous "doublethink" talk - and a marvelous job of Public Relations work. To the public - elders are untrained (therefore can't be held responsible for what happens in the congregation). To the congregation - elders are skilled, thus meaning trained, have confidence in them.

One meaning has to be incorrect, an actual lie.

waiting

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello ISP,

as many commented here, the problem is
    that WTS leaders -gb - would like to project, through
    their Public Relations and Media representatives, an
    image of honest and fair community, where all members
    are really cared for and treated with love and
    concern. Expecially here in Europe you come across
    to many of such "associations" of Christian Jehovah's
    Witnesses...all for the same purpose: " to give the RIGHT
    impression " to the political class governing the country,
    so to avoid any possible link with the so called
    " c u l t s and dangerous religious groups "!
    Do you want names: France, Italy, Belgium, Germany etc.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

P.S. Ex. the story in France of "Guy Canonici"

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Skillful elders can do much to ease the pain of heart that is felt by the remorseful sinner.

As has already been pointed out here, a key is the use of the word "skillful". Another aspect of the doubletalk being used is this: The Watchtower doesn't say that all elders are skillful. It qualifies the statement by stating that there are occasions when there are some elders who are skillful and who will ease the pain of heart.

As waiting points out the congregation R&F will read this as applying to all elders when, in reality, this is not what the Watchtower has said. They're good, aren't they?

Cheers,

Ozzie

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    The descriptions of elders in the reply to the reader's question above do not fit any elder I have ever known. The answer contemplates an ideal situation with ideal people performing an ideal function. In real life, elders are the biggest bunch of prying, nosy bastards on earth, seeking titillation with every question. Any decent church would have burned them all long since.

Jesus Francoise, how do you really feel??

Slipnslideius Masterus: Strength and Honor ...

• sf
    sf

Pardon me while i barf on this entire article!

Still the same ol' crap...new ink!

sKally (really getting pissed off now class [>:(]

• thinker
    thinker

Personally, I think this article is great. Just think of how it will affect the already declining membership numbers....

• lookingnow22
    lookingnow22

Anyone else hear talk #3 from the TMS for the week of 5/21. The information in it about no confession to humans being necessary directly contradicts the last two sentences of this article. The information for that talk was from the Reasoning book under "Confession". I almost laughed when I heard the title of the talk.

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

You said, "The information in it about no confession to humans being necessary directly contradicts the last two sentences of this article. "

But wait... among the peons in the cong, elders aren't MEN they're GLORIOUS ONES, aren't they? See, they're not talking with forked tongue...us filthy apostates are just too blinded with hatred to see the difference.

:D

• Francois2
    Francois2

I submit that greasing them up with oil was done for physical sicknesses, not spiritual. Look at the quote. Forgiveness of sins was included in subordinate language in that statement. Of course little details like subordinate and subjunctive phrases don't mean much to the Borg - they don't understand them in the first place.

• WheelocksLatin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit