Most translated website in the world?

by disposable hero of hypocrisy 11 Replies latest social current

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

https://www.tomedes.com/translator-hub/most-translated-website.php

I wonder if this is true.

Lots of people commenting after the article about how it's proof of g#ds blessing.. So if jw.borg ever gets overtaken in the rankings does that mean the blessing has left the building?

• Half banana
    Half banana

That's a good point Disposable, yet already they might spot that with the financial difficulties, Big J doesn't seem very interested in helping them?

Their world record however is in the same category as their old magazines; the most published but least read. What a waste of effort translating cult-gibberish into all languages.

• menrov
    menrov

I believe the title is a bit misleading. The borg site (html pages) is available in over 700 languages apparently. Could be but I do not feel that is so amazing. YouVersion supports 799 languages and has over 1100 versions.

Others, like banks/institutions are only to serve their customers and would only have the languages available to serve these customers.

The sites states:

One of the key pillars of the Jehovah's Witness belief system is that all its adherents must be able to read the Watchtower's (The Jehovah's Witnesses global HQ, based in the U.S.) publications in addition to the Jehovah's Witnesses' special translation of the Bible. In order for people to participate in the religion, they have to be able to read the Watchtower's publications, and translating their publications into believers' own language is necessary for them to belong to the religion

that is why they do this and they can because it is all done via almost free labor. In the company I word for, the main language of communications is English. Documents or publications are translated in some key languages (say some 25) but it is expected that everyone does have a knowledge of English.

My point: yes, it can be considered an achievement to have a website that can serve about all languages. It is not unique and not all contents is equally available in all languages.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

I got 'stuck' on this issue when I was awakening...I kept thinking, JWs are the only ones trying to reach so many people throughout the earth, really they're only ones preaching the good news worldwide. Then JWfacts.com pointed out the success of different ministries such as the JesusFilm project.

The Jesus film project is a non-denominational 2 hour movie which is a simple film version of Jesus life and ministry based on Luke's gospel. It has been used by various missionary groups for 35 years, and has been translated to 1300 languages, they take it to all sorts of far flung places, tribes etc where internet may not even be heard of. Estimated billions of people have seen the film and 200million have decided to become Christians as a result of seeing the film.

Although I don't back any one denomination, I did feel misled by the witnesses into believing that they were the only ones really accomplishing any significant preaching work, as of course they neglect to tell anyone about other preaching missions like this one.

http://www.jesusfilm.org/film-and-media/statistics/statistics

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Does anyone else find their claim that this was all done by volunteers far less impressive than they seem to?

As already mentioned a commercial web site wouldn't really have a need to spend money doing this.

And it's hard to call JWs volunteers in the traditional sense. Especially people at Bethel.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

And another thing, most world records are stupid accomplishments. Is this one also a stupid accomplishment? Let's ask ourselves a couple of questions to find out.

Even if you believe they have the true religion.

What real value does it have?

How many people have benefited in a tangible way?

Has the growth rate of the JW religion increased appreciably?

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    @tornintwo, thanks for that, I've never heard of that film, but it's definitely worth keeping in mind as no doubt that old argument will come up in the future..
  • StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I added this comment:

This is truly an impressive accomplishment. However, the fact that information is translated does not make it truthful. For instance, from time to time, they get "new understandings". Hence, information previously translated in various languages and presented as the true was in fact false.
    So, while we can acclaim the technical achievement and the good will of everyone behind this, the information itself can be questioned.
  • sir82
    sir82

The bizarre thing is, a lot of those languages are spoken by hottentots or bushmen or whatnot, dozens or hundreds of miles from the nearest electrical outlet, not to mention internet coverage.

What's the point?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The real problem beccomes apparent when attempting to translate the nonsensical drivel into something making sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit