A Faint Knock at the Door. Guess Who?

by Swan 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

This morning I heard a faint knock at my door. I answered it to find two nicely dressed young women who I knew had to be JWs. They introduced themselves and offered me the latest magazines with the Awake being the one being most prominent. Their presentation was very brief; not like the long drawn out ones I learned as a child.

I wondered briefly if I should ask to be put on their Do Not Call List and decided not to bother. I politely declined the magazines with a friendly smile and they smiled back, wished me a good day and that was that.

That was the first time I had been contacted at the door. My husband had some visits in the past, he told me. These women were in their late teens or possible twenty. I didn't recognize them; either they were new to the congregation or they were children when I left. It was nine years ago this week that my DA finally took affect.

I think it was interesting the way they knocked at my door. My dog and my husband didn't even hear it. I just happened to. They didn't use my doorbell. They didn't use the door knocker. They just knocked faintly.

I feel like I have come a long way. I wasn't bitter or angry. I just kind of pitied them. I didn't see any point in taking out on them my grievances with the WTBTS. There was a time when I would have been furious with them. I guess I am well past that point. Instead I had great empathy for them. I remembered the many times when I gave a faint knock on other people's doors and hoped nobody was home. Maybe the JWs I treated politely today will be my friends at an apostafest in the future.

Tammy

• freedom96
    freedom96

Your response was very kind.

Depending on the attitude of those knocking on my door will determine how I respond. I just need the chance. They never knock on my door.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I think it was interesting the way they knocked at my door. My dog and my husband didn't even hear it. I just happened to. They didn't use my doorbell. They didn't use the door knocker. They just knocked faintly.

If I'm not mistaken I remember somebody mentioning on this board that there was some counsel (TM) in one of the mags or a KM fairly recently regarding 'hovahs pretending to knock or ring the doorbell, and then just standing there for a couple of minutes and moving on. I know that my last 4-5 years in the org the walking between the houses got slower and slower (somebody in my cong called it the 'pioneer shuffle'), the knocks on the doors got lighter and lighter, the coffee breaks got longer and longer.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

That is sooo funny!! I used to do that.

In an effort not to have someone answer I pretended to ring the bell, pretended to knock and once in a while I got caught....the homeowner must have saw us and wondered and would come to the door and try their bell to make sure it worked...When it did I felt pretty dumb!...

Ah....memories!

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

My mother HATES them! When they come to her door or even anywhere on her street she hollers and screams at them and tells them to get the hell out of the neighborhood. She made such a scene the last time that they haven't been back since. "YOU STOLE MY SON FROM ME FOR 6 YEARS!!!! GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!" It's rather amusing. :)

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

The last time I was formally contacted by JW's, I was living overseas. I man and his very young daughter called on my door, and although I didn't speak their language, I knew exactly who they were. When I said, "I only speak English," they pulled out an Awake English. I didn't have the heart to say no, esp in front of the sweet little girl.

Ah, so much for apostacy. I'm human, after all. I know they take babes door to door for a reason.

• Preston
    Preston

Tammy, I wish there were more people in the world like you...

• Swan
    Swan

Preston,

Thank you very much, but it took me a long time to get to this place. I used to be very bitter. Talking to new friends like you and others on this board, among other things, helped me a lot to get over that anger. It's been quite a journey!

Tammy

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hi Tammy!

I feel like I have come a long way. I wasn't bitter or angry. I just kind of pitied them. I didn't see any point in taking out on them my grievances with the WTBTS. There was a time when I would have been furious with them. I guess I am well past that point. Instead I had great empathy for them.

That it so beautiful. My anger has subsided a lot too, but I still have buttons!

Hope to see you again soon.

Craig

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ahhh haven't had any JW's stop by since we left, but we're in a Condo so I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon. Kinda wonder what I'd do, I think I'd invite them in give them some coffee, be really hospitable and then try and ask some questions heheheehhe. Then again I might just flip them off, it would really depend on my mood!!!

Hey Tammy u should have taken a pic, I'm sure I know them hahahah

Ven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit