Mormon Scholar Under Fire

by onacruse 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Carmel
    Carmel

One of the ideas inculcated into me as a youth growing up was that science and religion agree. It wasn't until I left the Juu's and attended university that I realized that the FSD were simply re-defining science to fit their preconcieved notions of biblical interpretation. they are as true to their mantra on science and religion as they are to the equality of the races......

caveman

• onacruse
    onacruse

HS: As you observe--Science and religion are historical contestants in the battle for the mind. Both strive to explain the unexplainable, or at least, the unknown. Both vie to persuade the masses that their calculus is the only correct interpretation of reality.

However, science is no virgin of truth. Joao Magueijo and Andreas Albrecht recently proposed a cosmological theory that purports, among other things, that the speed of light is not constant. They faced an almost insurmountable skepticism in the community of theoretical physicists, if only because they were challenging the icon of Einstein. Just as religion has established its own icons of doctrine and ecclesiasticism.

It remains for each of us, individually, to realize that each of us, individually, is responsible for what we believe and why we believe it, with a view to the past, and an eye on the future.

Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems-but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems incredible.
    Salman Rushdie
    Craig
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon
    YEC's want both sides of the creation/evolution issue to be taught, using primarily scientific data. Hardly "inquisitional"

Oh, is that why they changed the school curriculum in Kansas in the '90's? You mean some YEC's.

Of course, creationism isn't taught alongside science in school. If it were, to be fair, you'd also have to teach other religions creation myths, otherwise you'd be showing religous discrimination to those faiths whose creation myths were not included. I think there might be pressure on the time table if we taught all of them...

And, please, please, please, post a article on YEC that uses scientific data (in a scientific way). I've not seen one...

8-P

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Oh, is that why they changed the school curriculum in Kansas in the '90's? You mean some YEC's.

Abaddon, I live in Kansas and know one of the persons involved in the proposed "new" science standards. The changes proposed related primarily to testing and to whether or not macro-evolution would be taught as a dogmatic fact.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Of course, creationism isn't taught alongside science in school. If it were, to be fair, you'd also have to teach other religions creation myths, otherwise you'd be showing religous discrimination to those faiths whose creation myths were not included. I think there might be pressure on the time table if we taught all of them...

Those who propose that the evidence for creation be taught along with the evidence for evolution (thus giving students both views) are not proposing that a specific creation account be taught. They only want the scientific evidence pointing to creation to be taught along side the evidence for evolution.

Actually just getting textbooks to point out problems with evolution would be an improvement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit