What those terrible worldly people are doing

by JeffT 7 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT
    Yesterday there was a horrific crash on a bridge here in Seattle. A DUKW (WWII amphibious truck) tourist cruise lost control and hit a charter bus full of exchange students head on. Four dead and about a dozen seriously wounded, many more in less critical condition.
    Yesterday, Canlis Restaurant, located near the scene and one of the most exclusive eateries in Seattle, closed for the first time in its 65 year history and sent out its staff with food for the first responders. Today I heard on the news that the Seattle Hotel Association is lining up free rooms for families of the exchange students coming in from all over the world. So far they have 14 families staying for free and have more rooms ready if needed.
    Nice to hear some good news about people.
  • kp138
    kp138
    I live in Seattle too, Jeff. Great outpouring of support by those awful worldly people.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Can't anyone get magazine to them? For the love of God they need some good news to make them happy! Come join our broke ass religion.
  • Dumplin
    Dumplin

I'd take "worldly" generosity over "Christian" assistance anyday....no strings attached from worldly people, just simple human concern.

I was telling an elder out in service once about my disfellowshipped sister in law stopping her car to help a homeless woman she saw sitting on the sidewalk. She helped her access services and housing for homeless and eventually this woman got back on her feet and became a JW. It surprised me that this elder was visibly agitated at my telling him this, and the look he gave me told me he suspected me to be an apostate sympathizer. I just thought it was nice of my sis to reach out and thought he would too. .

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Of course all these people should be wandering around in circles, knocking on empty doors and drinking coffee this morning, not actually helping their fellowman!

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Weird. On our recent vacation we were just on one of those DUKW tours. Nice tour. Seattle is a beautiful city. I understand one cannot accurately guage the temperament of a population by only spending a day and a night among them, but on our short visit my wife and I found Seattle people to be awesome. Folks were drunk and high at a waterside park near the public market and everyone was cool and chill. Had that been New York City I would bet you there would have been fights, I know - we've seen it many times.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    .....and the Watchtower told the local JW's to get those literature carts right up near all the action and for the local pioneers to have a full thermos of coffee as they sit there watching the worldly people "do something."
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    Good one OTWO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit