Why did you choose Jehovahs Witnesses?

by vinman 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bardamu
    Bardamu

Born in 3rd gen (my dad discovered in university but mom was born in)

I was never baptized, not even a publisher. I believed 100% that it was the truth. We were a very close family with lots of cousins in the same congregation or area and by late teens everybody was baptized or publishers for the younger ones except me.

At first i felt bad about it but no matter what, preaching was the thing i hated the most in the universe, so i just waited and said one day around 18 that i did not want to go to the meetings anymore. It was quite hard at first but i was not shuned, they accepted it and we have good relationships even if from time to time they try to talk to me and probably pray for me everyday lol...

Anyway i left home at 19 and the second i was free i enjoyed my life quite a lot ! i still believed it was the truth but i didnt care anymore; just had some doubts until recently when i started really realizing that its a cult. Im 24 now and im so glad i left early enough.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Born in.

Just had to accept it because "it was the truth" and NO OTHER option was presented.

There was no choice but to go along with the family....

One doesn't naturally have the confidence to stand on our own feet until later in life.

I applaud any young one from a full-on witness family who confidently BREAKS free and USES LOGICAL thinking skills at an early age! So may of us did not have the courage to do that until much later in life.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15

Wow so many 3rd generation born-ins! I guess there was a mass recruiting in our grandparents' time.

@Dagney funny what you said, I used to think the same, "I'm so glad I was raised in the truth because I'm too much of a skeptic to have ever converted into it from the outside." Ha!

@mimi I can relate to your sentiments as well. We were talking the other night & my husband said he decreases his anger at JWs from his past by turning mad at himself for buying into it for so long. I said that is wrong, especially for those of us who were regimentally indoctrinated as children: we were VICTIMS.

But now, we are survivors!

• truthlover
    truthlover

Was in love with a JW - he had great parents, esp his mom, always loved the Bible so being stupid, believing I had found my security in God and husband, got baptized .... now he is gone (died) and I am stuck in a system without family as they have all passed and those "family" of in laws in the truth are like strangers, so much for a widow without a man on her arm and their brother !

• steve2
    steve2
    I had the best grandparents and parents ever! - all JWs and all now deceased. Their love and integrity actually stopped me from seeing TTATT until I was well into my 20s , when I realized their wonderful qualities were in spite of their being Witnesses and that the JW organization was just another patriarchal belief system.
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks
    According to Watchtower corporate theology ... Jehovah chose me. Go figure!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit