Riddle of 'Baghdad's batteries'

by Trauma_Hound 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

The Ancients, IMHO, were a heck of a lot more advanced than what we give them credit for. I've got a book by Time & Life called: Feats and Wisdom of the Ancients." It is really quite incredible to read about all the things that different societies invented thousands of years ago. Alot of the time, we think of things, like electricity, to be a modern invention. But as the Bagdad Battery shows, it was probably just re-invented in the 19th century.

The book also tells us other amazing things like:

Hero of Alexandria, in the first century CE was a mathemetician and an inventor. One of his books describes a steam engine. He also wrote the first book on robots.

Eratosthenes (3rd century BC) was a mathematician, astronomer, geographer and philosopher. Using only reasoning and his powers of observation, he accurately calculated the sizes of the earth, sun and moon.

In the 1st century CE an obscure craftsman brought a gift to the emperor Tiberius. It was a drinking cup that looked like silver but was much lighter and it did not break as silver might have done. It simply dented when hurled through the air and crashed. The story was recorded by the historian Pliny in 37 CE. Based on the description of this cup, modern experts have speculated that it might have been fashioned from aluminum. When questioned by Tiberius, the craftsman said it was extracted from clay, just as aluminum is. Today, aluminum can be obtained only through sophisticated chemical and electrical processes. If it were made of aluminum, the ancient metalsmith was centuries ahead of his time.

There are also tales of flight found in ancients texts in Egypt, India, Babylon and the Americas. And we still don't know how the Egyptians made the pyramids.
  • Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Well they will not need the batteries much longer, the whole city will be glowing........

• Adam
    Adam

Am I mistaken or is the process of making the original Damascus steel still a mystery? If I remember right, I once heard on a documentary that only three cranes in the

• Adam
    Adam

Damn cut and paste...

Am I mistaken or is the process of making the original Damascus steel still a mystery? If I remember right, I once heard on a documentary that only three cranes in the US today could lift the heaviest stone found in the pyramids. Makes me wonder if one day, thousands of years hence, humans are going to have to re-discover how to make the computer or the internal combustion engine. We today have the tendency to view technology as one continual, linear progression. Obviously it is not and we are simply in a phase, a phase where we are not privy to some of the older knowledge and where some current knowledge is likely to be lost to the future.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Adam

A couple of yrs ago, a science mag, maybe 'new scientist', had an article that said that a scientist working w a blacksmith had rediscovered the damascus steel formula. It was just a certain amount of another metal mixed in. A search might find it.

SS

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

That is why we must remove it from Iraq's hands!!

The current dictatorship in Iraq are environmental terrorists and can’t be trusted:

On 26 February 1991, the Allied forces announced the liberation of Kuwait and the defeat of the invading Iraqi forces. The despot of Iraq had boasted that he would inflict a crushing defeat on the forces of the international coalition, but throughout the war the Iraqi forces showed little military effectiveness and collapsed after a short campaign. Communications were broken off between the command in Baghdad and their forces in Kuwait, which fled before the Allies. "The mother of battles" that Saddam Hussein had promised turned out to be the mother of farces.

The tyrant of Iraq decided to take his revenge on Kuwait's oil resources. He ordered his fleeing troops to pour millions of barrels of oil into the sea or onto the ground, and burn the Kuwaiti oil fields. They set fore to 723 oil wells. The flames consumed the equivalent of 5% of total world oil consumption every day, and caused the daily emission of between one and two million tons of carbon dioxide, a "greenhouse gas" that is seriously damaging the whole world's environment. The oil spilled caused severe harm to both land and marine life.

This is in addition to all the environmental and human damage, which the invaders caused by laying land mines, causing explosions, and using bombs, artillery shells and other military equipment.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    How could ancient Arabic science have grasped the principles of electricity and arrived at this knowledge?

Yes, how could someone who is not white and has no expensive university degree possibly understand anything?

Ed, don't be ridiculous. The point was nothing to do with the colour of their skin but the era they lived in, and the level of science and technology available to them at that time.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Has anyone here read or visited the Coral Castle out in Florida??? I saw a show on it on the History Channel. They still cant figure out how the owner managed to move tons of stone all by him self. Pretty trippy stuff.

http://www.coralcastle.com/home.asp

• Ed
    Ed
    Ed, don't be ridiculous. The point was nothing to do with the colour of their skin but the era they lived in, and the level of science and technology available to them at that time.

But when evidence is discovered that a past generation's level of knowledge may have extended beyond grunting and banging rocks together, the automatic response aways seems to be: "They didn't really understand anything, they just discovered it by accident and then they must have used it in their funny magical rituals."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit