It's a sad day in the neighborhood...

by Scully 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• Scully
    Scully

I just heard that Fred Rogers (aka Mr. Rogers) died today of complications related to stomach cancer.

My kids loved watching his show as much as they enjoyed watching Mr. Dressup. When Ernie Coombs (Mr. Dressup) passed away a week after 9/11, my kids were devastated, it was like one of their best friends had died. I was devastated too - for my kids and for the part of me that also enjoyed Mr. Dressup as a child.

Give your kids a big hug today when you tell them the news about Mr. Rogers. You probably need it as much as they do.

Love, Scully

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hi Scully, I didn't know of this, but I am saddened to hear of the death of Mr. Rogers.

He (Mr. Rogers) and Mr. Dressup (in Canada, Ernie Coombs) were well acquainted. Mr. Dressup was originally from the U.S.A. as well as our beloved "Friendly Giant". Mr. Dressup/Ernie Coombs was in Pennsylvania (if I'm correct) working on children's programming or something (may have been with PBS, not sure), and an opportunity came for Ernie to go to Canada, which he did, and we were in-love with him ever since.

Mr. Dressup was what I grew up with here in Canada as a kid. He was one special guy. Mr. Rogers was too. I watched him, once we got cable TV and I could see the similarities.

When Mr. Dressup died just a couple of days after 9/11, I was honestly heartbroken.

Reading about Mr. Rogers is very sad as well, because the connection is there, and he was such a kind and gentle human being.

I'm going to miss Mr. Rogers.

• Shakita
    Shakita

The sadness I feel today is the sadness I felt when I heard of the death of Jim Hensen. These two men have spent many hours in our living room teaching my four children about kindness, sharing and caring. I would sit and watch along with them, marveling at the gentleness of Fred Rogers and wondering what the world would be like if everyone could show the love he did for others. This is a very sad day. The world has lost a gentle and kind teacher.

http://pbskids.org/rogers/parents/feb27.html

Mrs. Shakita

• JH
    JH

Hi Scully,

I didn't know that Mr. Dressup died last year. I still saw him on TV. He wasn't that old. That's sad.

As for Mr.Rogers, I don't recall seeing him on TV.

Mr. Dressup was really great for children. Not many can replace men like these. They are so unique, and irreplacable.

• Scully
  • Shakita
    Shakita

More on Mr. Roger's Life: Key events in the life of Fred Rogers

Associated Press
    Published Feb. 27, 2003 ROGETIME

- March 20, 1928: Fred Rogers born in Latrobe, Pa.

- 1954: Rogers introduces ``The Children's Corner,'' a children's show in Pittsburgh where he works as an unseen puppeteer.

- 1963: Rogers accepts offer to develop his own 15-minute show, ``Misterogers,'' for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

- 1968: National Educational Television, which later becomes Public Broadcasting Service, begins distributing the show, now called ``Misterogers' Neighborhood.''

- 1985-86: Ratings peak for ``Mister Rogers' Neighborhood,'' as 8 percent of all U.S. households tune in.

- 1991: During the Persian Gulf War, Rogers tells youngsters, ``All children shall be well taken care of in this neighborhood and beyond - in times of war and in times of peace,'' and asks parents to promise their children they will always be safe.

- 1993: At a ceremony marking the show's 25th anniversary, Rogers says, ``It's not the honors and not the titles and not the power that is of ultimate importance. It's what resides inside.''

- December 2000: Rogers tapes the show's final episode.

- August 2001: Final episode airs.

- September 2002: Rogers comes out of broadcasting retirement to record public service announcements telling parents how to help their children deal with the Sept. 11 attacks anniversary.

- Feb. 27, 2003: Rogers dies of stomach cancer.

Mr. Roger's died at age 74, the same age my Dad died a little over a year ago.

Mrs. Shakita

http://www.misterrogers.org/mister_rogers_neighborhood/biography.asp

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

That is so sad. I used to watch Mr Rogers as a child. LOL I used to ask my mommy if she would marry him because I wanted him for my Daddy.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I heard Mr. Rogers was still a Presbyterian minister. Is this true?

He seemed like a truly kind and good man. Truly a sad day in the neighborhood.

• Seven
    Seven

It's a sad day in the 'burgh. Rest in peace Mr. Rogers and a big thank you from all of "your kids." Thank you for taking us to the places our parents never had the time to, like the pickle factory on the northside, the Hershey and Crayola factories, and for wearing that Penguin Jersey! The thank yous would take all day and many pages. You will be greatly missed over at Children's Hospital where you brightened many a day. You always had time for all of your kids, personally answering every letter ever sent to you. I still have my Daniel Stripped Tiger on my bed who through you taught so many of us that we were brave and didn't even know it. That's important to a kid ya know.

Fond memories today, even of that creepy Lady Elaine(named after his sister). One of the 'burgh's finest.

Fred Rogers' Biography

Fred McFeely Rogers was born in 1928 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, 40 miles east of The Voice of Firestone and later as floor director for The Lucky Strike Hit Parade, The Kate Smith Hour, and the NBC Opera Theatre. Rogers was married in 1952 to Joanne Byrd, a concert pianist and fellow Rollins graduate.

In November, 1953, at the request of WQED Pittsburgh, the nation's first community-sponsored educational television station, Rogers moved back to Pennsylvania. The station was not yet on the air, and Rogers was asked to develop the first program

During off-duty hours, Rogers attended both the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School

Fred Rogers was the composer and lyricist of over 200 songs, the author of numerous books for children, including the First Experience series and the Let's Talk About It series, and the author of many books for adults, including the Mister Rogers Playtime Book, You Are Special, The Giving Box, Mister Rogers Talks with Parents, and Dear Mister Rogers: Does It Ever Rain In Your Neighborhood?. His most recent book, The Mister Rogers Parenting Book, was praised by Publishers Weekly for the "qualities of warmth and attentiveness that translate very well into this brief yet thorough parenting guide."

Fred Rogers received more than 40 honorary degrees from colleges and universities, including Yale University, Hobart and William Smith, Carnegie Mellon University, Boston University, Saint Vincent College, University of Pittsburgh, North Carolina State University, University of Connecticut, Dartmouth College, Waynesburg College, and his alma mater, Rollins College.

Rogers was chairman of Family Communications, Inc. the nonprofit company that he formed in 1971 to produce MISTER ROGERS' NEIGHBORHOOD and that has since diversified into non-broadcast materials that reflect the same philosophy and purpose: to encourage the healthy emotional growth of children and their families. Almost 900 episodes of MISTER ROGERS' NEIGHBORHOOD comprise an evergreen library which is offered each year to PBS stations. MISTER ROGERS' NEIGHBORHOOD is the longest- running program on public television.

Fred Rogers died on February 27, 2003 at his home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is survived by his wife Joanne Rogers, their two sons and two grandsons.

Home · Early Care & Preschool · Educators & Professionals · Families · Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
    Corporate Information · Catalog · Contact Us · Site Guide

Highlights

1928 - Fred McFeely Rogers is born.

1951 - Graduates from Rollins College and is hired by NBC.

1952 - Marries Joanne Byrd.

1953 - Develops The Children's Corner.

1963 - Is ordained as a Presbyterian minister.

1968 - MisteRogers debuts on PBS.

1971 - Forms Family Communications, Inc.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Yes it is a very sad day in the neighborhood.. he will be missed and this neighborhood will never be the same with out him. Farwell and Godspeed Mister Rogers.

Xandria

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit