Liberal vs. Conservative mental health study - what do you make of it?

by Brock Talon 40 Replies latest social current

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

In other words, conservatives have uncomplicated and non-stressful ways of explaining away social and economic inequalities because they believe the "haves" achieved what they have based on hard work, talent or personal achievement, while the "have nots" simply didn't work hard enough. In that belief system, there is full justification for keeping and perpetuating a status quo as well as the ideal that if you work hard enough (no matter what) you can achieve whatever you want to be without outside help.

This is a huge insight on the topic. This goes back to Ronald Reagan's presidency. Reagan espoused the idea that the individual should be self-reliant and that government should not be a stop gap. This aligns with the conservative mindset that "I earned this therefor it is mine to do with as I choose. Go earn your own."

Conversely, Leftists (not Liberals) believe all property is State property. Leftists are not concerned with narrowing the gap between haves and have-nots, but believe there should be no classes. Leftists believe in absolute equality in all respects of life.

This is why equality is no longer a concern of the Left, but equity. Equity is equal outcome without equal participation or equal qualification. Everyone should be accepted into college regardless of grades. Everyone should receive equal pay regardless of actual or potential output.

One believes he is his own master and in total control of his destiny. One believes in mass suffering can only be ended through totalitarian government. The human brain is an organ and like all organ has one purpose - prolong life. The brain creates anxiety when it perceives danger or harm. Not being in control is an example of danger perceived by the brain. So, if one believes that control can only be accomplished by a totalitarian government forcing equity I can see why that person would have high anxiety living in a country that is based on individual freedom.

• vienne
    vienne

Liberals are fruitcakes. Period.

• Etude
    Etude

I'm sensing that many conservatives are assholes. Period.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I don't tell my general physician my political leanings. It has never come up. I've never told any counselors or therapists my political leanings either. That also did not come up and it wasn't one of those questions doctors of any kind ask as part of the paperwork.

Sounds hinky to me.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Liberals are fruitcakes. Period.
    I'm sensing that many conservatives are assholes. Period.
    I see a pattern.
  • Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

jwundubbed, the survey was NOT of the medical professionals themselves, it was of people who have gone to a medical professional. THEY were asked their political leaning and then in the same survey asked if they had ever been told by a medical professional if they had ever suffered a mental health issue. Simple.

Your ability to understand the survey and the issue at hand is what is hinky.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Etude, if liberals are the ones who are so caring and the conservatives are heartless assholes, then why does survey after survey show that conservatives actually GIVE more, both in time and in money to various causes?

Spend some time reviewing the Philanthropy Round Table site to see that the HEAVY givers are conservatives.

https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/almanac/statistics/u.s.-generosity

Or review this article: "Conservatives are more generous than liberals"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-generous-liberals-conservatives-081500677.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAI2QtkEZjlgg5ZlPhE7CDvuP6qEKU2m_BbngaoT-7we1KKh5euy5B97G7_c842F0DGo7u_YoSEbrD9zIbtFojSVsPEZWG0IL0kKCSHea3_QOYmbD3wACy4_xiohv_XRcoa-PXtCnCssDr89YI3Pkv4r5AQL1aostdnEEJZWii83E

Or review this article: "Whatever you may think of Republicans, don't call them stingy."

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2018/11/06/whatever_you_may_think_of_republicans_dont_call_them_stingy_103479.html

If you search yourself you will find articles written by liberals who try to explain this away by saying things like "well, sure, conservatives have more than liberals, but they just mostly give to their churches...." or "Liberals give, but they just give differently. They give to the arts, while conservatives give to religious organizations or other similar charities."

I find these excuses for poor giving among liberals humorous. For starters, the AMOUNT of money in that first study is to be considered first: regardless of what KIND of giving you may think is worthwhile, conservatives just give more of theirs than liberals do.

Also to make a blanket statement that conservatives have more money than liberals seems kind of silly when the biggest media companies in the world are either owned or run by liberals. (Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, etc.) Who said conservatives have more money? What study is that? And why does it matter anyway, when giving whatever money you may have to whatever charity you might consider worthwhile? Conservatives do more, liberals do less.

After most natural disasters occur, who is the one of the first groups that are in their helping those in need? Religious organizations, that's who. (Of course, not Jehovah's Witnesses though.) What is needed more at that time, a nice meal and a warm blanket, or some piece of artwork? Why is giving to the arts so much better than giving to churches? Also, there are many religious liberals and many non-religious conservatives, and as I have already stated in this thread, I believe this is a mistake to conflate these. But the excuse laden articles want to do so to obscure the simple fact that those who self-identify as liberals simply give their time and money less to their charities of choice. Period.

The only conclusion that can be drawn is that liberals just simply love to be generous with other people's money and like to talk a big game about "caring", but do not put their OWN money where their mouth is.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

This is why equality is no longer a concern of the Left, but equity. Equity is equal outcome without equal participation or equal qualification. Everyone should be accepted into college regardless of grades. Everyone should receive equal pay regardless of actual or potential output.

This is Leftist claptrap.

Consider: what makes college education special in the first place? Why is it desired at all? Anyone care to answer?

I will tell you: Because those with it have a greater chance at earner a "better" living. Study after study shows the college educated earn more over a lifetime than those without. THAT is in fact why people want to spend two, four or more years after high school to get that degree: TO EARN MORE THAN OTHERS and have a better life than others. If EVERYONE were to have a college degree, then its worth would become meaningless. That is why a high school education is now meaningless, because we as a society have pretty much buttoned that one up. There used to be a time when not everyone had a high school diploma, so it meant something at that time. Now it does not. Why in the world would we want to turn a college education into an extension of high school? This comes from the Bernie Sanders school of stupidity.

So then, if an advanced education has value, why should it be given away, or watered down such that just ANYBODY can go, regardless of grades, and then anyone can pass, regardless of achievement? There is an old joke that goes like this: "What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of his class in medical school?" "Doctor!"

Yes, even those who go through a grueling Medical/Physicians degree program and just barely squeak by are still called Doctor. Do we now want to lessen that even more? Do YOU want the doctor who graduated at the bottom of his or her class operating on you? How about the affirmative action doctor who got in because they belonged to the politically correct demographic and "passed the test" only because someone needed a number to fill in? Now we want the standards to be lowered even more than that so that we have "equity"?

Leftist claptrap.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

The argument "anyone who thinks differently than I do must be mentally ill" is a pretty tough sell - it's unlikely to persuade many people whom you apparently want to persuade.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

For starters, the AMOUNT of money in that first study is to be considered first: regardless of what KIND of giving you may think is worthwhile, conservatives just give more of theirs than liberals do.

Here is a current example;

Alexandria Cortez----VERY LIBERAL CONGRESSWOMAN, recently posted on several Far Left news magazines that her Grandmother was suffering because mother nature damaged her home to the point that it is uninhabitable.

SHE BLAMED TRUMP FOR HER GRANDMA'S DEMISE.

At the same time Alexandria Cortez lives in a luxury apartment and drives a Telsa which the price sticker on the car is about 80,000 dollars. But she is unwilling to help her grandmother.

Conservatives saw the pics of her grandmothers home and started a go fund account for AOC grandmother.

NONE OF AOC'S liberal friends even thought of helping out. Check this out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=753XC0xW_DI

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit