Recent Ads on this site - Simon this needs some fixing

by done4good 19 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    It's all kinds of ads really......IAMS, Hyundai, etc. It's running in some square block window to the right of the forum threads. It's really annoying, and it just really takes over your screen.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    The only browser that works worth a hoot for me on this site is Chrome. I have problems galore with all over brands. On Chrome I don't experience the ad issue of the OP.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

This below has been popping up right on top of the first page of this site within the last few weeks, at first I thought that it was something Simon put up because it has a "Got It" button to click after you read the message

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, provide features and analyze traffice. We share data bout site usage with social media, ad & analytics partners

• mana11
    mana11
    run "spybot" you may have other issues....
  • Simon
    Simon
    This below has been popping up right on top of the first page of this site within the last few weeks, at first I thought that it was something Simon put up because it has a "Got It" button to click after you read the message
    We use cookies to personalize content and ads, provide features and analyze traffice. We share data bout site usage with social media, ad & analytics partners

That is legit & something I added ... it's required because of EU legislation. Basically some dumb-ass politicians have made it so that pretty soon every website you visit will give you a warning first in the same way that every TV program warns you that it "may contain strong language, sex or violence" thus making the warning a waste of time and completely uninformative.

I am working on a new version of the forum which will dramatically improve page load times, esp on mobile (everything is super zippy) and the ad-serving will change as part of that so I'll try and put better controls in place and make the ads more relevant / less intrusive as far as I can.

run "spybot" you may have other issues

Good advice. Lots of malware replaces ads on sites using plugins inserted into your browser. The ads described don't sound like they may be served by adsense (anything popping up / taking control). Look for the little |> symbol on the top right or bottom of the ad which gives you AdChoices. If that isn't there then you likely have malware.

If you do then unlucky - some of it is a real bugger to get rid of. I've resorted to re-installing Windows before now as some will lie dormant for a while before coming back to fool you into thinking you have got rid of it.

Oh, and don't rely on Microsoft Defender for any protection or reporting. I've never seen it find any virus even on a machine obviously riddled. It used to be OK but Microsoft seem to have lost interest in it and it's became a placebo and nothing more.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates
    I OFTEN need to use my script blocker because of the ads. Now this site doesn't work well with a script blocker so I am forced to leave the site. They slow my computer down. I don't think it is as bad as some sites, but on occasion it makes the site unusable.
  • Simon
    Simon
    The scripts used on the site should improve dramatically with the next version. Apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime - thanks for bearing with things.
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

You are awesome Simon!

When do expect the next version of the site to go live?

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Those that are having trouble... what browser are you using?

I always use Firefox. I think there is an issue with certain scripts running Firefox. It seems those that use Chrome have a better experience.

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who
    Anytime I have this issue I delete my browsing history. It always works for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit